Tailgating Kills Mother and Daughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgating Kills Mother and Daughter

On today's news it was mentioned that a mother and daughter were killed when an 800 pound boulder fell off a truck, bounced once and went all the way through the car, tearing off the roof. For this to happen, you know they had to be following too close, and that is the norm these days. Do they even teach the 3 second rule in driver's ed anymore? No matter what speed you are driving, look at a spot in the road that the car in front just passed, and your car shouldn't go over that same spot for at least 3 seconds.

I know it's the truck driver's fault for not securing his load, but tailgating also is the cause of many accidents. BTW, they found the truck, but not the driver yet.

Just within the past few months I read about a Model A accident that could have been prevented if the driver wasn't tailgating.
    Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 07-11-2018, 11:22 PM.

Defensive driving is almost non excistent on the highways today.
    I took a defensive driving course years ago, picked up many great driving tips that I still use today.
    The 3 second rule is one of them. Jeff

Comment

• Apple Green Wheels Rule
      Editing a comment
      I was one of those instructors. Each Army battalion had one back in the 60s. I still practice what I preached.

• JDupuis
      JDupuis commented
      Editing a comment
      Two thumbs up from me Ed!

Just how do you secure a 800# rock on a truck?

Comment

Seems to me if the bolder bounced once the car may not have been that close to the rear of the truck, weird stuff happens, I feel for the family left behind.

Comment

I try to stay well clear of any truck, as they drop stones or kick up stones on the road and chip windshields. About 8 years ago I was driving through Chicago on the freeway and a Greyhound bus was in the lane to the right of me. The bus ran over a large broken leaf spring from a truck, and it flipped up hitting the side of the bus very hard, then went flying back just missing the windshield of the pickup following the bus.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Those dumps have small rocks sitting on top of the axles. When they hit bumps on the roadway it unloads them on the front end of your car and windshield.

This is the truck and the boulder strapped down weighs in the neighborhood of 3-4 tons I would say. The smaller ones in the back are what fell off. I don't follow behind stuff like that, not because I'm smart, but because I'm afraid. How big does a rock have to be to be considered a boulder ? Heading to google now !!

Comment

I think we've all moved away from dangers while driving.
      How often have you switched lanes, or slowed down, because of what you've seen with other people's driving habits, unsecured loads, low tire pressures, swaying trailers, ect....
      I know I have, too many times to count.

Comment

Editing a comment
        Jeff, I listen to a local St Louis radio station every morning and it never fails, every morning during the traffic reports and even during the day, reports of road debris in this lane or that lane on this interstate or that interstate, this lane is closed because of debris, etc. Irresponsibility abounds today!!! Most people just don't care what damage or interruption is causes other people, they could care less....IMO!!

• JDupuis
        JDupuis commented
        Editing a comment
        They need to make better bungee cords! Lol

• SeaSlugs
        SeaSlugs commented
        Editing a comment
        on my way back from iola today, state trooper pulled a car over - middle aged older couple. They pulled over on the left shoulder (in median). Trooper probably told them to get on the right shoulder where people expect things to be. Well they pull out almost 45* angle and just slowly idle across both interstate lanes right in front of the SUV in front of me going 65mph. I thought i was going to see a massive collision in front of me so i hit my brakes hard - suv hit his brakes hard enough to leave black marks on the road (even with ABS) and he swerved to avoid them. Had to have come within 3 feet of slamming into them. Of course they were totally oblivious to what they almost did.

Never saw a madder state trooper in my rearview swerve in behind them and slam his door shut darn near sprinting and pointing at them.

Ill see if i can get the footage from my dash cam...

We need better enforcement of the laws and stricter fines , most states if not all have laws against not PROPERLY securing and covering loads.
      Last edited by Bobm90; 07-14-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep tarping the load is important. Ladders are supposed to be chained to the rack and not just to be held with bungies

More to the story!
      I wish reporters would tell the truth and the whole story. The first report, an hour after the accident, sounded like the car was following the truck. Yesterday's report makes it sound like they were going opposite directions and met each other just as the truck was driving over railroad tracks, and that's when the boulder bounced out and went through the windshield. Now it makes more sense, and there was nothing the woman driver could have done to avoid the accident. The truck driver alone is responsible for the two deaths.

Comment

• SeaSlugs
        SeaSlugs commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea thats just an unfortunate case of wrong place wrong time. Things that scare me the most are the scrapper trucks. Way overloaded about 5 bungie cords holding 3 houses worth of appliances and a cars worth of scrap, truck looks like its got 1 wheel braking and 1 wheel steering with 4 bald tires.

Fake News ?

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
        Tom Wesenberg commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the trouble with a lot of reporters, they love to make up news to start trouble so they have something to report.
        They love to slant the way things are presented, both by how and what pictures they post, and by what they write.

Editing a comment
        Most all of those reporters are illiterate and can't make it in real life so they make up a life to make them feel important with Brian Williams in mind. I hope they end up the same way too.
        Last edited by Apple Green Wheels Rule; 07-14-2018, 09:48 AM.

• BudP
        BudP commented
        Editing a comment
        And don't forget the editors! They are the "supervisors" of the content and the final quality assurance step before it goes to print. They get paid to assure standards are met. But, if standards are low or vapor quality, well ....
    Working...
    X