FDR's Hand Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDR's Hand Controls

I read that FDR designed hand controls for his Model A.. I wondered how that might have been accomplished. I suspect a large hand lever mount on the steering column to push in the clutch.. Still challening to think how one hand clutched and shifted (look Mrs. Roosevelt no hands on the wheel)..

Maybe he used this??

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...tomatic-clutch
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
      Hand Cranking a Model A
      by Mitch
      Original Thread

Hand Cranking - Safe and Easy

©1999 Marco Tahtaras

https://web.archive.org/web/20180830...om/index.shtml

©1999 Marco Tahtaras

01-16-2018, 07:28 AM
    • canadian
      Hand Cranking
      by canadian
      EVER ? NEVER? My truck not completed yet but was wondering is this something that you guys use? would certainly impress the girls on Walmart parking lot.....
      01-16-2018, 05:19 AM
    • Mitch
      Automatic clutch
      by Mitch
      I wonder how popular these became

07-02-2017, 10:05 PM
    • Big guy
      Steering column support.
      by Big guy
      Please tell me Henry Ford did not Through bolt the interior steering column support into the gas tank. I'm looking at mine and it appears to be stained with gasoline. Even smells a tad like old gas. Can't be a good idea to not address this one.
      06-21-2018, 02:34 PM
    • Chevmn56
      Hand Crank Alignment
      by Chevmn56
      Hello all i was getting ready to set the timing on Clyde, i tried to use the hand crank to find the timing dimple.......but the hand crank does not line up with the nut to turn the motor. The original mount is out and a FAM is in place but not attached to the cross member (not drilled yet either). Is there a method or trick to getting the engine lined up, am i going to loosen all the mounts raise...
      03-22-2018, 10:19 PM
    • Paul K.
      Clutch Disc F150 3spd w/OD
      by Paul K.
      I need a Clutch Disc for the F150 Transmission Input Shaft. Need 9"dia, 10 teeth spline and 1 1/6" shaft to install with a Model A Clutch and Throw Out Bearing on Model A Flywheel.
      The hole for the Torsion Spring hub on the Model A Pressure Plate is 5" dia.
      Folks say use 86 TBird 2.3L 4cyl Turbo, but that hub is about 5 3/4" dia. Have learned that are using the...
      03-14-2018, 03:57 PM
    • bosticjb
      Steering box
      by bosticjb
      I have just purchased a 1928 with a steering box problem anybody got any suggestions on what to do - any replacements that are recommended...
      10-08-2018, 01:52 PM
    • BillEbob
      Fitting A/T into Model "A"
      by BillEbob
      '31 Vicky -- getting to the point where I (shortly) won't be able to shift it (various medical conditions.)

Re-built engine only has @ 10k miles.

W/O a total drivetrain replacement, what is the most straight forward A/T install?

How about a Ford C-3 or C-4?

Bill
      06-27-2018, 09:33 PM
    • Art Ebeling
      Victoria steering column
      by Art Ebeling
      Why is my steering column so low at the firewall opening? It is interfering with the floorboards and the floorboard pedal plates. This is a Victoria that has the spacer in the tank bracket that lowers the column. It looks like it is off by that spacer amount....
      03-16-2018, 11:38 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Who Needs Steering Arms With Good Balls
      by Tom Wesenberg
      I just saw this on ebay, and it looks like a good deal for anyone needing steering arms with good balls.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-...19.m1438.l2649
      06-13-2018, 09:18 PM
    Working...
    X