What Do You Call This Stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Call This Stuff?

I drain oil into a metal hog pan, and the oil hits the metal and splatters all over the place. In the 70's I found some stuff to lay in the pan to keep the hot oil from splattering, and the drain plug can lay on top of the mesh, so you don't have to go fishing in a pan of hot oil for it. If you took bailing twine and pulled it apart into a bundle of fine threads then sprayed it with a greenish rubber coating, that is what this stuff resembles. I found a piece about 1 1/2" thick and 2 feet square, and cut out a piece to lay in the hog pan years ago. This stuff would make a good head pad for a creeper, or a seat and backrest for someone wanting a thinner seat in the Model A pickup. I want a piece to put on the bottom of my laptop, so when I have it on my lap, the cooling holes aren't blocked off.

I don't know where to find this stuff, and I don't know what it's called. Any ideas? Thanks

We use these Lisle 38750 anti splatter pads in our oil drains. It also helps filter the oil for the waste oil heater tank.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-387...&wl13=&veh=sem

Lisle 38750 No Splatter Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOAW8DU..._rC6yAb8CR3BK6

What is a Hog Pan? I never heard that term
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Hey Mitch, that looks like a scouring pad.
      They use big pads like that for buffing floors.
      Tom: check out your local high school, hospital, public buildings...... They throw the old ones out all the time. That should be a good splatter shield. Jeff
      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

A hog pan is a galvanized metal pan about 18" diameter and about 5" high. Most farm stores and many hardware stores would have them.

Comment

I use the bottom half of an old, long dead shop vacuum. It has four casters, not too high, and I can get the hot oil out from under without splashing or spilling it all over the asphalt.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• plyfor
          Oil Pan Shield
          by plyfor
          Snyder's catalogue shows an oil pan shield that is noted in the Service Bulletins. Has anyone installed one of these and/ or is it needed ? How is it secured, and could it be modified to fit in an older oil pan ?
          07-24-2020, 03:29 PM
        • Bikerider58
          Suck it out or let it drip - - oil change
          by Bikerider58
          Sludge in the bottom of the pan is common due to non-detergent oil. If 10 years of non-detergent and 10+ modern detergent oil and engine build; then it seems like the sludge would be cleaned out. I still had a good layer of about 3/8 inch.

I did not check when the pan was off, but suspect a good amount of oil is in the pan below the drain hole. With the engine tilt it seems like there...
          03-23-2019, 12:58 AM
        • Denis4x4
          What is this?
          by Denis4x4
          What is this bolt next the oil pump? Pan is Model A modified for a ‘39 transmission
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          05-29-2018, 04:51 PM
        • Great Lakes Greg
          The spinning oil pan bolt problem
          by Great Lakes Greg
          A friend bought his first Model A, and ran into the spinning oil plug issue. I haven't ran into this before on my cars, so I really didn't have a solution aside from dropping the pan and doing a couple of spot welds on the inside. The car is pretty oily underneath, so no heat while the pan is on the car, although catching the car on fire would be one alternative. Do I have the correct r...
          04-24-2020, 06:30 AM
        • canadian
          base pan
          by canadian
          Almost depressed but still hanging in... was giving the Model A the finally prep for summer, one last thing was oil change, got the gear all together and crawled underneath. Gremlin sat on my head while base pan plug rotated anti clock and clockwise . no oil leaks and its full, plug just rotates around freely .... great......
          05-23-2018, 05:29 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Cheap Oil Pan with Dipper Tray
          by Tom Wesenberg
          Just saw this on ebay, and he has 3 oil pans for only $10 each. It's a good buy if you live close enough to pick it up in person.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38243781966...2942%26itm%3D3...
          09-29-2018, 06:36 AM
        • Atlasboy
          Which Engine Oil to use
          by Atlasboy
          I have a 1931 Model A with an original engine, never out of the frame or rebuilt. What type and weight oil would be the best for this Car ?
          11-28-2018, 09:30 AM
        • plyfor
          Oil Pan flanges
          by plyfor
          Any suggestions for (simple) straightening method or leveling out the oil pan flanges (mating surfaces to block) ?
          07-24-2017, 09:59 PM
        • Ray Sullivent
          Oil Leak
          by Ray Sullivent
          I have a minor oil leak with the bottom of the oil pan and blow back having a thin film of oil. I recently changed the oil and the oil level is normal. Should I torque the oil pan bolts and/or replace the oil pan gasket?
          01-31-2021, 03:39 PM
        • DaWizard
          What do you do when it's -50º
          by DaWizard
          Since I don't know the answer to this, I have to ask.

What do you do for coolant when it's -50º like it was last night in the upper mid west?

I was watching the weather and saw temps that were dipping way down into the low 50's and wondered what you guys do since 50/50 doesn't work that low.
          01-30-2019, 09:51 PM
        Working...
        X