Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Diaphram Material?

Has anyone tried this material?

I emailed the seller and asked: "is this material OK to use with ethanol crap gas?"
    His reply was: "it should be"
    In other words he doesn't know, or is covering up that he knows it won't work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12x12-Fuel-....c100290.m3507

We know that neophrene gaskets don't work in our model A gas gauges. I don't know about this polyester reinforced material.

Comment

I would recommend nylon reinforced buna-n / nitrile rubber for fuel pump diaphragms.
      rennerscorner.com

Comment

Hey Renner, WELCOME to the VFF you lurker!!

Glad to have your input.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by RENNER’S CORNER View Post
          I would recommend nylon reinforced buna-n / nitrile rubber for fuel pump diaphragms.
          Yes, I haven't tried this stuff yet, but I have a feeling it won't stand up to corn crap gas.

Comment

That sheet will become a gooey meltdown mess.
            Here's one look at materials compatibility with ethanol (A.K.A. ) and gasoline.
            E-10 Resistance.jpg

"Kalrez," is the clear winner here, is a DuPont name for perfluoroelastomer (FFKM). The stuff is made in sheets.
            If you can find it reinforced with Kevlar (again, a DuPont name for para-aramid fiber) you will have a winner!
            I need a sheet of this for my B pumps!!

Also of interest on this chart is "Viton," that wonderful (Ha!) stuff on many needle valves.
            Not too good with ethanol!

Comment

I guess I'll have to keep using my rotary vane pump, with no rubber parts, to be sure of a reliable pump.

Comment

I never had a problem with Viton failure using ethanol.
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• MikeK
                  MikeK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Viton (there are several grades) doesn't exactly melt and fail. With regular use, OK. Many grades plasticize over time with hydroxyl infiltration. This will cause it to 'stick' shut when parked for weeks in a system with less than one psi gravity pressure attempting to unseat it.

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe the viton used on these needles are a top grade, because my cars sit for months at a time. Never had a sealing issue, and I also use them in all my rebuilds for others.

Related Topics

Collapse

• ClaudeC
                not sure my 1933 rebuilt fuel pump is working
                by ClaudeC
                What is the simplest way to check it
                07-10-2018, 01:52 PM
              • ClaudeC
                rebuilding 1933/34 fuel pump
                by ClaudeC
                I want to install a new diaphragm in my 1934 fuel pump. I have the pump in two sections but need help in getting the old diaphragm out. Any suggestions?
                03-24-2018, 10:50 AM
              • Beauford
                Wiring inline fuel pump and electronic fuel valve.
                by Beauford
                So until I can buy another tank I have a T'ish cylinder tank in the bed of truck. I have mounted the tank and have secured the fuel pump on pass frame channel close to tank as possible underneath. I have a 30amp inline fuse off the "-" side of battery to the fuel pump and grounded fuel pump. I will later tonight mount cutoff fuel valve near carb inside frame and I have a toggle switch to...
                08-04-2018, 04:19 PM
              • ClaudeC
                identifying true 1934 v8 fuel pump
                by ClaudeC
                My fuel pump has the number 523307 stamped on it and the sediment drain is only a screw and not a wing nut type? Any ideas?
                03-26-2018, 11:01 AM
              • Beauford
                Fuel pump opinions needed..
                by Beauford
                Well the painter was sanding a rough area on tank....gas came out. Rust911 took it down to the best solid metal but the tank was to far gone in one area so he is filling that and make it look good and paint. Instead of chasing down a '29 tank that's worth a damn I'm going with a bed mount tank in the truck...maybe a stainless round tank mounted to truck bed. How hard are fuel pump installs? Never...
                07-28-2018, 06:39 PM
              • Beauford
                Fuel Regulator suggestions
                by Beauford
                My pump has too much umphhh!! Anyone recommend a inline regulator to get 1-1.5 psi for 1/4 fuel line?? I know this probably should be on modified but I'm sure George Miller would know.....
                08-05-2018, 04:44 PM
              • Towd56
                Glass fuel bowl with fuel pump
                by Towd56
                can you use the glass fuel bowl if you are using a fuel pump installed BEFORE the fuel bowl. Or do you install the pump after?...
                05-04-2017, 08:30 PM
              • Terry, NJ
                46 to 50 Cams
                by Terry, NJ
                So I'm a little out of my normal ( Mod A ) interests this time, but this came up for a friend and it's been troubling us since then. It goes like this, A friend has a Late forties truck (48, 49, maybe 47?) and he wanted the electric fuel pump removed and the old mechanical pump restored as it had been when new. Great! We put the pushrod into the guide bore and felt it clink against the cam. No doubt...
                09-01-2018, 08:55 PM
              • Michael M
                Model A gas tank
                by Michael M
                A distinctive feature of the Model A is the gas tank location and gravity feed system. Any ideas on what prompted this arrangement? And did any other car makers use a similar arrangement?...
                02-03-2018, 09:35 AM
              • tbirdtbird
                anyone up for a gasahol thread?
                by tbirdtbird
                there have been numerous pix of the deposits, crusting, clogging, and fouling of fuel lines and carbs from gasahol. Meantime, others seem to have no problems with this fuel. In our cars and customer cars we use 4 oz MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) per 10 gallons of gasahol to help offset these effects. Also, if you were around in the sixties and earlier, you may recall how slippery gasoline felt running...
                05-01-2017, 09:12 AM
              Working...
              X