Funny but Sad End to a Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny but Sad End to a Car

When I was in the 7th grade I had my dad's old 1950 Champion, with no body, as my field car to drive around the back 40. One day I removed the head to paint it silver, then reinstalled it. I didn't know anything about torque wrenches or the need to buy a new head gasket, but still everything worked fine after I put it together again. My classmate had a 52 Pontiac straight 8 for his field car, so he figured he'd do the same thing. When I went to his house he had the hood open on his Pontiac, and there was a large dent in the hood, and a hole through the side of the barn. I asked him what happened, and he said he didn't know the plug wires had to be in a certain order. Well, he had one cylinder firing when the piston was part way up, and the explosion blew the top of the piston into the oil pan and blew the oil fill cap off with enough force to ricochet off the hood and go through the barn wall. That was the sad end of his field car.

I was once welding an oil pan on the car when i was starting out. The crankcase vapors ignited and blew the valve covers off a chevy 5.7.
    I then changed my depends
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry had a NO START Datsun, points had closed up. Without turning OFF they key, when he pulled the distributor out of the block, it created a spark & blew out chunks of the pan & valve over gasket!!!
      Dad Workingnexttohim

Related Topics

Collapse

• tbirdtbird
    If your head gasket could talk.....or torque.....
    by tbirdtbird
    About 60 members from our club just got back from 6-7 days in Yellowstone and Glacier Natl Park. Most trailered, one guy drove it. Some very steep passes there, especially in Glacier, the Going to the Sun road. The road is mostly 6% grade with some sections at 10%, and it is a brutal but majestic drive. No guard rails. One member has had trouble with blown head gaskets on his recent build, having...
    08-16-2017, 11:20 AM
  • copgib
    Update on my Model A
    by copgib
    Well my brother picked up my model A from the mechanic after a test drive with him. He told me the car runs real nice and he decided to trailer it to his house since the mechanic lives about 2-3 hours away from his house. After talking to my brother, I don't know whether to be excited or depressed. First after telling me the car runs real nice he started on the problems, he noticed that he had to...
    04-29-2018, 07:50 PM
  • sunnyorm
    The End of the Trail ??
    by sunnyorm
    Alright, here's a story from a few days ago in my town: i went to a garage sale, and the guy had a large assortment of tools, so i was paying for the tools i bought, and we get to chewing the fat, so i mention my Model A, so he says he recently lost a friend was 97 years old, and used to work on Model As, until his passing. So the guy i bought the tools from gives me an account of this 97 year old,...
    05-18-2018, 01:25 PM
  • copgib
    Need Advice
    by copgib
    My Model A is down the road from me with my mechanic. He is installing mechanical brakes on it. He has did the following so far: Rewire the car with new wiring, install nice set of headlight buckets where mine were flaking. He installed both temp & oil gauges inside and new chrome dash. He installed a new gas gauge and new horn. I had him also install my stonegard while he was at it. My question...
    09-22-2018, 09:01 PM
  • Big hammer
    New oil container
    by Big hammer
    Bought oil from Walmart, picked up the wrong weight, took it back to get the right weight. No problem but the young lady said the cap is leaking, she opened it and what was inside was OLD DRAIN OIL !
    They made it right but I felt like a heel/crook
    So after paying for oil, in fronf of the clerk, I'm going to open the container and check for new clean oil this point forward!
    09-18-2017, 08:46 PM
  • canadian
    base pan
    by canadian
    Almost depressed but still hanging in... was giving the Model A the finally prep for summer, one last thing was oil change, got the gear all together and crawled underneath. Gremlin sat on my head while base pan plug rotated anti clock and clockwise . no oil leaks and its full, plug just rotates around freely .... great......
    05-23-2018, 05:29 PM
  • Mitch
    Starting a car from long term storage
    by Mitch
    I'll start by saying do not attempt to run the motor on the fuel supply from the tank. Pumping debris or old crap gas into the carburetor is never a good thing. This can cause your valves and rings to stick. It will also mess up a good working carburetor.
    Hang an auxiliary fuel supply with fresh gas gravity fed directly to the carburetor....
    04-10-2018, 08:37 AM
  • Beauford
    Pics of my small leak...
    by Beauford
    So I have installed a new cam gasket with RTV which helped very much as the other gasket had gotten wet/dried wrinkled. I was having oil only when shut down come on left side of fly housing down to center. I have snugged the pan bolts as rebuilder suggested and still have this. It really is not bad per say but how can oil come when car hasn't been started going on two weeks and has sat at a decline????...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    06-12-2017, 01:35 PM
  • KB9JLO
    Starting an older engine - oil in the dipper tray...
    by KB9JLO
    As a few of you know - I have a 1930 Town Sedan, Murphy Body (March 1930). And she's a little rough. My wife has already named her Millie. The engine hasn't run in some time and I want to attempt to get it started and see what all is wrong and needs to be fixed in the drivetrain. If I don't have to I don't want to drop the oil pan or remove the valve cover to see if I can get this started. The engine...
    10-01-2018, 11:28 AM
  • copgib
    Good News For Me
    by copgib
    I have mentioned in the past that I will be picking up my 1930 Model A Coupe up in Louisana the first week of May. I will meet my brother who will be coming from Texas with my car. My mechanic has been working on it since October 2017, on and off. He is a retired mechanic that owned his own shop and had worked on many Model A's. He told my brother he loved working on my car but forgot how much work...
    04-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Working...
X