Red 1970 Karmann Ghia in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red 1970 Karmann Ghia in 2018

A friend is giving me a 1970 Karmann Ghia. He has had it for years and hasn't driven it for a long time. He offered it to me and I said yes. Why me? I have no real idea, but ...

My loving wife, Helen, made the obvious wifely comment, "You don't need another car! You should sell one." "Not necessary, my dear, I have plenty of room for another, and this one is BEAUTIFUL, NOT a project car."

And of course she is right, but even a diehard Ford nut "like some of you" would not turn down a red 1970 K-G with perfect body and interior that only needs to be treated to a little TLC to have it on the road. We maneuvered my wife's 65 Mustang into one side of the shop to make room for it. It's beautiful, but has been in a garage for a number of years so I am going to drain the gas, replace the rubber hoses in the gas line, check the plugs, pts, etc and plan to license it for everyday use. I will not drive it everyday, but don't want to be limited by usage or mileage rules.

Ted it looks like your new year is off to a great start. Post up a few pics of it

Comment

• Ted Duke
      Ted Duke commented
      Editing a comment
      will when I pick it up later this week

• Ted Duke
      Ted Duke commented
      Editing a comment
      I got her home on a rollback and in the shop. Beautiful body, but very DUSTY, mouse or something stored cotton (?) in bonnet (?) (the front storage) but no damage and no smell. Haven't gotten the starter to turnover yet. Found one blown fuse that might have been part of problem. Need to find time to check out some more wiring. WIP along with everything else.

Originally posted by Ted Duke View Post
    A friend is giving me a 1970 Karmann Ghia. He has had it for years and hasn't driven it for a long time. He offered it to me and I said yes. Why me? I have no real idea, but ...

My loving wife, Helen, made the obvious wifely comment, "You don't need another car! You should sell one." "Not necessary, my dear, I have plenty of room for another, and this one is BEAUTIFUL, NOT a project car."

And of course she is right, but even a diehard Ford nut "like some of you" would not turn down a red 1970 K-G with perfect body and interior that only needs to be treated to a little TLC to have it on the road. We maneuvered my wife's 65 Mustang into one side of the shop to make room for it. It's beautiful, but has been in a garage for a number of years so I am going to drain the gas, replace the rubber hoses in the gas line, check the plugs, pts, etc and plan to license it for everyday use. I will not drive it everyday, but don't want to be limited by usage or mileage rules.
    Why not?

Comment

Karmann Ghia! Another car of my dreams!
      I had a beetle, I bet 80% of us had one?

Comment

• Ted Duke
        Ted Duke commented
        Editing a comment
        new 61 beetle. new 64 bus, new 70 bus (a lemone) later a 65 convertible (son wrecked it and survived) always liked the later Ghias.

• CarlG
        CarlG commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a (used) 63 Beetle, then a 68 (new) Type 3 Squareback. (Only new car I have ever owned)

• pAAt
        pAAt commented
        Editing a comment
        68 & 70 beetles, both very well used. I had an ice scraper for the inside windshield, in the winter months, because my heating ductwork was mostly rust on the road. Truly great memories

I got me one of them kraut shitboxes

1600 single port
      counter balanced crankshaft
      balanced rotating group
      fullweight flywheel
      W100 cam
      hand lapped and fitted valves jugs and heads
      full flow oil filtration
      H30/31 carb
      AL82N alternator
      Bosch 019 1950 mechanical distributor
      type 3 self supporting starter

Not a speed demon but a real smooth running and shifting car..she'll spin up to 85mph from being balanced but just loves 65. You can build an engine in a bout six hours,this one took me 80 plus.Its on yeoman duty now,basic inexpensive transportation,exactly what it was designed for.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Who is in the picture?

• CM2
        CM2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Which one?the avatar is my grandson,I dont know who the geezer is in the DDB Vw ad..

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Geezer ok

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you looking for another bug like that one? i know of one, just not sure what year but it has the split bumper

• CM2
        CM2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah,I just sold a '57,Im keeping the '67 in the picture. Two cars came into my life in '67,my father bought a new Vw convertible,and together with my two other brothers we bought a late '31 deluxe coupe..If you want to know an accurate value of the bug you know of post a picture,they are getting very popular and are going up in price...roll it into the shop,give it a shave and haircut and flip it for a few bucks..

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh i know what they are worth. The old rag tops have sky rocketed

• CM2
        CM2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Busses brother,bay or split window busses..never would I have thought they would bring more than a model a..

Haven't taken any pictures, it's real dusty, but paint is in great shape, just two minor nicks. Interior excellent. Hasn't been started in 13 years. Previous owner drove it a few times in less than a year, but it was always hard to start. He was lucky it didn't burn down his garage. Owner before that had it worked on (hard to start), drove it home. Months later (5 miles later) had it towed to a shop installed new battery (and one of those damned terminals) and sold it. The petrified mice have been removed, the chewed wires repaired (one is the main ignition wire under the back seat; why didn't it burn?), the starter will turn if you tap the solenoid. No spark. Ordered and received tuneup parts.

IT will run again when time allows more troubleshooting. Model A and life in general has priority.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing more about this car. As stated above, we have all probably had a VW in our history. I still remember sitting in the rear parcel area behind the rear seat. The smell of wool carpet brings back memories.
        when the number of kids outnumbered the safe seating of the car ( no seatbelts) it was time for Dad to get a larger car.
        A 1966 Plymouth Fury, former police car, entered our family. But the family kept growing...then a 1970 Pontiac Laurentian station wagon 9 seater entered the family. The list goes on.....thanks for reading.
        Jeff
        Last edited by JDupuis; 01-26-2018, 06:50 PM.
        Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

I never owned a bug, but in high school my best friends brother had one, with the cloth sunroof. My buddy had a really nice TR3. They swapped cars one weekend. We took the VW out. On a short twisty gravel road, the bugs rear suspension threw us a curve, slid off the road. The rear bumper hooked a small tree and flipped the bug on its top. We weren't hurt, but it didn't do the VW any good.

Comment

Okay, Here she is! Starts, runs, drives, needs some adjustments and a real wash and wax. Did a quick bucket wash and spray today, but it's too cold to get serious about it! LOL
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Great looking car Ted. That would look terrific with Ontario license plates on it! . Jeff
              Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Comment

Love the car Ted, It looks to be in really great shape. Rust free?
                  3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said
                  "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Ted Duke
                    Ted Duke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, Some underbody rust. Not bad.

• Ted Duke
                    Ted Duke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Only rust is under battery area

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can't beat that Ted

Nice, I need friend's like that.

Comment

• Ted Duke
                    Ted Duke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice people. Couldn't find anyone to work on it and it sat 13 years.

Discovered rust in fuel filter, pulled tank. Yuk. Tank and accessories on order. Have one unhooked wire to identify. Need to get tag light working. Then good to go.

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did the garbage get pumped into the carb?

Possibility. I'll check it out.

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We get a lot of old cars here that have sat. Our procedure is to first remove the fuel line from the carb. Then we run it on spray so the crap gas gets pumped out of the line. The worst thing you can do is introduce the crap into the carb

• Ted Duke
                    Ted Duke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I checked today and I a pretty sure the inline filter and the fuel pump filter would have gotten anything big. I blew out the line and replaced the filter. We shall see.

New tank installed. Changed fuel filter. Runs good. Need to check timing and dwell when I find time. (working on A stuff and then TAXES). Had a CONSTANT rear electric window defrost light and the switch had no effect. After several sessions I discovered that a black wire from the front was hooked to the coil and I suspect it should be hooked to the non-existent relay for the r-w-d. I unhooked it and the light went out and it doesn't affect anything else. When I get the touch-up paint a friend is preparing I will do the few nicks and then it's wash and wax time. I need to Carnauba the seats also. Will probably get my granddaughters to help just for fun. The 17 year old and the 14 year old will love it. They haven't seen it yet. Total cost about $750 with parts, title, permanent license. Can't beat that with a stick! Insurance company values it at $10K. Might have it appraised when it's polished up.

Comment

Got about 3k in mine overall,drive it all over. Like any old car,you have to go through all its functions to make sure its tip top...once you have an air cooled dialed in they are what they were designed for,economical efficient and reliable transportation.If you end up rebuilding the engine I strongly recommend a counter balanced crank and a balanced rotating group with stock weight flywheel. Mine drives smooth as silk and shifts like butter.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Ted Duke
                      Ted Duke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Shouldn't have to do a rebuild, it is very low mileage and engine seems to be good!

• CM2
                      CM2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice...enjoy it,they are a nice addition to the car stable. Hand fitted and welded body on the Karmann Ghia.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/

this is the holy grail of Vw sites...great searchable forum archive,all of your questions will be answered.

Yes, been there!

Comment

K-G needs tie rods replaced and then front end alignment. Runs really good after setting timing. I'm going to de-grease the engine compartment and then put on new red spark plug wires and dist cap and re-install the shiny belt cover I was going to discard. Decided I should fancy it up a little. And for kicks, I needed a battery hold-down so I bought a red one.

Comment

THE SAGA ENDS and the K-G is on the road. end of February took it to get tie-rods. They knew I was in no hurry, so "fitted it in" during a really heady workload. Did a great job, but from the day I left it the K-G lacked enough power to be drive-able. Really long story, but finally called a roll-back and brought it home. A friend helped me and we decided it could not be timed. Timing mark jumped all over. Bought a rebuilt .009 distributor and she runs like new. Well, I guess like new. Really Good. Washed her today and might get to waxing later this week. National-Yankees game tomorrow (GO NATS!)

Comment

Ted
                          Glad to hear that, enjoy K-G it's a good looking car
                          3 ~ Tudor's
                          Henry Ford said
                          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Ted Duke
                            Ted Duke commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I waxed a little square and "WOW", what a difference. Might be next week for waxing. Got home from the game at 2:00 am. and the old bones are tired. Other duties the rest of the week.

Drove the Ghia to Staunton, Virginia last Wednesday and had keys to the doors made and ha some touch-up paint mixed. She runs really great. Been busy with bush-hogging and took a trip last weekend ( not in the Ghia), but I've driven her around a little, Today I got a chance to do a little touch-up painting and waxed just the hood. Maybe finish the waxing this weekend. Also need to clean the seat-belts, they aren't dirty, but are REAL HARD to slide.

Comment

Did the touch-up and a wax job. Pulled all of the removable stuff out of the engine compartment to adjust the rubber seal. Cleaning up for some painting in there. Adjusted the engine deck lid so it locks and drilled a safety hole first. Only doing things when I have a spare 45 minutes. She runs great. Loving it.

Comment

Yesterday we had a mini-family reunion here for a n hour or so before we all wandered away until meeting for dinner. One son, three granddaughters and two granddaughters drove the K-G although only one met insurance requirements to drive on the highway. He had never driven a VW and was quite impressed. The Autostick charmed them all except for reverse. I have found that the Autostick is smarter than most people. It likes a light touch, not like a stick shift in some automobiles. Great fun.

I might be checking other insurance companies. I would like for those with a few years experience but not six years to be able to drive my antiques with me riding along. Best way to get them interested in antiques.

P. S. All of my children and grand-children learn to drive a stick, if no where else on one of my tractors.

Comment

Great times Ted. Never thought about sending a kid out into a field to learn stick shift, swell idea.
                                You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Ted Duke
                                  Ted Duke commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I start young ones on the tractor w/auto slide shift and then the shift tractor and then my pu as soon as mothers will allow. My eleven yr old granddaughter backed up and drove the KG forward just a few feet yesterday. Next time she will be ready for more.