Mystery Weston Volt Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Weston Volt Meter

I've seen these before, but am wondering what they might have been used for with the voltage set at 3.3 volts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORNATE-BRAS...BaD2Vw&vxp=mtr

If I remember correctly 3.3 volts was a common tube filament voltage.

Comment

• Mike V. Florida
      Mike V. Florida commented
      Editing a comment
      Should have added ...for portable tube radios running on batteries.

I was also thinking it must be for very old tube filament voltage, but I'm more in tune with 6 and 12 volt tubes, like 6SA7 or 12SA7.

Comment

Ya know, in the '70's I got my Class 1 Radio Phone Technicians license with tube theory and I was sitting here wracking my brain to remember the voltages and I can't remember any 3volt tubes. Now this is not to say there weren't any, I just can't remember any, and like Tom, I am thinking they were either 6 or 12volt filaments.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• smittykid
        6 volt cut out/ 6 volt voltage regulator - Pos. ground
        by smittykid
        Could someone post a couple of photos showing the guts of a 6 volt cut out and the guts of a 6 volt voltage regulator? Thanks, Smitty
        07-19-2017, 10:27 AM
      • sunnyorm
        6 volt Chargers
        by sunnyorm
        Looking for consensus on good Battery Chargers for 6 volt (mine is Optima)

I searched using 12 volt charger (which mine is now) on a 6 volt, but am not sure, if it is alright?
        05-06-2018, 12:06 PM
      • plyfor
        coils (12 volt) primary tests
        by plyfor
        Updating from another post, used a very accurate volt / ohm meter to compare primary readings on 3 internal resistance coils. The results were that 1 used original German made Bosch solid filled (probably tar substance, not epoxy) measured in at 3.2 ohms ,a new Standard UCT15 (foreign made) measured 4.2, and new old stock Lucas (UK made) measured 4.6 . The Bosch went on our car and could be mounted...
        04-09-2018, 01:54 AM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Basic DC Voltmeter to Buy
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Some people like to use a basic plain voltmeter, rather than a multimeter. Here is one that will do the job nicely and is less that $5. I also like the test light that Harbor Freight sells for about $4. With these 2 tools, it's easy to check out the electrical on the Model A, or any other 6 volt car. If you use a 12 volt battery, then just search for "15 volt DC analog meter" on ebay....
        04-14-2018, 08:30 AM
      • plyfor
        12 volt system coil follow up to thread 11-7-17
        by plyfor
        We have a Standard 12 volt internal resistor UC15T coil for another project. It reads 4.6 ohms across the terminals with 2.6 amps to the points. If an alternator puts out approx. 14 volts , the current to the points is approx 3 amps.
        Just want to follow up that this is OK (with stock or modern V8 style points) if we use on a Model A ?
        11-16-2017, 05:57 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Another Gadget for your Model A
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Well, not to be outdone by Pat with his built in mirror compass in his modern Ford, I thought I'd buy a digital compass for my car. This is a nice unit that gives inside and outside temp, date, day, time, alarm clock, and digital compass. It's listed as 12 volts, but I just tested it on my regulated power supply, and it works fine down to 4 volts, so it's going to work fine in your Model A. On 12...
        05-26-2018, 08:16 PM
      • canadian
        tension headache.
        by canadian
        wants to Barf but Help... background ... I Am a retired auto tech , 35 years of 12 volt /negative. never seen a positive ground system let alone service one. So of course my 29 is going to be 12 v neg. heres my brain fart. what the F does that pop out cable screwed into Distrubitor carry when 12 volt system properly installed . am I that stupid ? man I just cant seem to get negative ground out...
        05-10-2018, 04:32 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Model A Charging Socket and Fan
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Cell phones and GPS work fine on your stock 6 volt positive ground vehicles. Just make sure you connect the center contact of the socket to the positive ground. I bought some of the black insulated sockets shown on ebay for 99 cents each. The blue USB adaptor was a dollar at Dollar Tree. The USB and multi socket adaptor was less than 3 dollars, and will work on 6 or 12 volts, as the USB ports are...
        06-20-2018, 07:11 AM
      • BudP
        Testing a Model A Coil
        by BudP
        I am looking for some guidance on testing a 6 volt coil with an analog meter. I presume side post to side post will check the primary windings but what should be the setting on the analog meter and what range of numbers constitute an acceptable reading? Almost the same question with regard to checking the secondary windings. I presume side post to center is proper but which side post and what constitutes...
        06-11-2017, 02:07 PM
      • Chuck Sea/Tac
        Question regarding Tom W’s coil tester
        by Chuck Sea/Tac
        can the 6V tester be used for twelve volt? What changes would be needed to test 12V coils?...
        02-16-2018, 10:55 PM
      Working...
      X