Postal Proof Packing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postal Proof Packing.

Isn't that a laugh, because there is nothing the post office can't break. Anyway, for most items Styrofoam peanuts aren't the best packing material because they allow the object to shift to the side where it will wind up broken. I'm shipping off a mint original 1930 coil, and the smallest safe box is 7" x 7" x 6". I put an inch layer on the bottom, then stuffed foam blocks of plastic on all sides. I positioned the coil tower slightly up and will pack all around it so it can't move to the side or be crushed by the box being thrown across the room.

If you don't have these foam plastic blocks, then the next best thing to use is rolled up corrugated cardboard to take up space and hold the object away from every side, then spray expanding foam around the cardboard to make it a solid block. Before doing this be sure to wrap the object in a couple plastic bags first, so no foam gets on it, and to protect it from having the paint rubbed off.

Coil Packing.JPG

Using the spray foam to lock everything together is a super idea.

I love looking at the tracking log when an Amazon seller ships by USPS. The stuff takes forever. Reason? The items go around and around endlessly. I live in Colleyville, and the next city is Grapevine, 5 min away. My items bounce between the 2 cities at least 4 times, every time, until they are sent back to Ft Worth, 30 min away, and finally back to Colleyville for delivery. At least 3 days are added to delivery time each and every time. The items sure must suffer from dizziness by the time they get here LOL

Comment

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure like the free shipping if Tom's mailing me something !!

Related Topics

Collapse

• wrndln
    Colorsanding
    by wrndln
    I have colorsanded a couple model A bodies and a set of fenders before. I am about ready to colorsand the set of fenders and splash aprons for my 29 phaeton. I am not sure I am doing it correctly or the best or most efficient way. The bodies and fenders I colorsanded turned out well, but I broke through the top coat on a couple places on the outer parts of the doors. I am sure it is that I didn't...
    08-06-2018, 12:55 PM
  • SeaSlugs
    POR-15 and foam brushes dont mix
    by SeaSlugs
    So POR-15 paint and foam brushes are a no go. Seems the por 15 gets soaked in the brush then attacks the glue holding the plastic support to the foam rendering it useless within minutes. Then the foam swells pretty bad and its like trying to paint with a hot marshmallow. My 1" wide foam brush is now 1.5" wide and growing.

Thankfully when the foam came off the handle it fell...
    09-26-2018, 01:16 PM
  • Dennis
    USPS tracking.
    by Dennis
    Has anybody else had this problem? I bought an item on ebay Wednesday last week, that's a week ago. I live about an hour north of San Diego which is where the item was bought from. I've been watching the tracking shaking my head at how those idiots operate. It jumps around to a couple locations in San Diego county and then goes to Anaheim about 30 minutes north of me. Then all of a sudden it...
    11-22-2017, 12:54 PM
  • tbirdtbird
    More on prep for painting using phosphoric acid such as Ospho with pic
    by tbirdtbird
    I am forever promoting using this prep for freshly blasted metal or otherwise cleaned.
    This is a hood from the M5 I am working on. Like all the other sheet metal, it was water blasted a year ago. The water blasters put in a special chemical to stop it from flash rusting, but that stuff only lasts a day or two.

Few people are prepared to prime their sheet metal immediately, esp since...
    02-19-2018, 10:56 PM
  • Art Ebeling
    Vickie roof
    by Art Ebeling
    This is installing the roof on my 31 Victoria today and yesterday and the day before.... What a tedious job, The moldings were formed first by securing in the groove in the body one loose nail at a time and bending in baby steps and then gently removing, We used chicken wire then 1/4 " open cell foam and then the vinyl roof material, sealed the nailheads and then nailed the moldings on....
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    08-17-2017, 05:31 PM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    Quick, Easy, and Cheap Car Cover
    by Tom Wesenberg
    I bought some $55 car covers for my Model A's and Studebakers, but they are shot after a year or two in the weather. This plastic cover is handy to take along for car shows and overnight trips, where you might get caught in the rain. I bought a 100' roll of 6 mil clear plastic, then cut the length needed for the car, and use magnets to hold it in place. Harbor Freight had the bar magnets on sale,...
    11-05-2018, 05:10 PM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    A Doghouse to Store Model A Engines
    by Tom Wesenberg
    I just finished this today. My garage is small and full, and I needed someplace to store my Delco Light Plant and a Model A engine. If I remove the Delco, I think it has enough room for 3 Model A engines. Storing parts under those cheap plastic sheets just doesn't cut it. This is so tight it's even mouse proof, but I may put some mothballs in to keep insects out.

I don't think any community...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.
    05-16-2017, 04:39 AM
  • DougInAustin
    advice for vinyl roof replacement Model-A closed-cab truck
    by DougInAustin
    Hi all- the vinyl roof on my 1930 Model-A closed-cab truck after about 20 years tore along the front seam where the windshield is, and the wind over time from driving increased the tear so when I drive now it turns in to a wind sail! Even black Gorilla tape for a temporary fix is not holding up. So time to get it replaced. The roof support and materials under the vinyl all seem fine. I ordered...
    07-21-2018, 03:26 PM
  • GranTudor
    Installing Top for 1930 Tudor
    by GranTudor
    I am restoring a 1930 Tudor that had never been in the shape of a complete car when I bought the car 35 years ago. I have rebuilt the car including the top and have just the top material to install. I have read many articles on how to, but need info on gluing, tack spacing and nail type and spacing for the gutters (using originals) and front and back metal original closures or covers. Thanks in advance...
    11-18-2017, 01:53 PM
  • pAAt
    Top kit
    by pAAt
    I bought a Vicky vinyl top kit a few years ago. Finally got around to taking it out. I have enough for 2 PU's, but the half inch foam is a 1/4" already. It's a Juliano kit 10-20 years old. What can I use instead of the foam ? I've heard bad things about the foam. Heavy wool blanket, cotton blanket doubled up, or just buy the batting from ?...
    09-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Working...
X