Sandblasting Away Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandblasting Away Details

In the past I've read some people have concerns about sandblasting taking away fine details, such as machine marks left by stamping and pressing parts into shape. I've just never seen any reason to worry, as the blasting quickly removes paint and rust without hurting fine details. If the rust is deep and pitted or flaking, the details have already been removed by rust. Here's 3 pictures showing the battery hold down for my Studebaker. I should have taken a before picture, but it would have been the same as the first picture, except for showing some original paint and some rust.

After blasting the metal clean I give it a quick light brush on the wire wheel. This removes the dull grey look. The second picture shows where the wire wheel can't reach in the corner, so I'll have to use a small wire brush.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I guess it also makes a difference of how aggressive the media is that's being used
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Terry, NJ
      Making the chassis pretty!
      by Terry, NJ
      Yesterday I pulled the coupe body off frame. Lotta RUST! I know I've seen restorations where the frame looks like new metal, not a pit to be seen! How do they do it? Just grind the rust away and then paint it? Fill in the pits with Bondo? What's the secret? This is a chassis, the foundation of the car! I don't want to weaken it.
      Terry
      07-02-2019, 05:10 PM
    • Steve Plucker
      Painting question
      by Steve Plucker
      So you have two parts...

The first part was sandblasted and has kind of a blue-grey appearance...

The second part was cleaned up by using just a wire wheel brush to a nice shinny silver metal color...

Now you are going to prime the parts with paint.

Will the part that has been sandblasted hold and adhere to the paint as well as the wire brushed part...
      02-01-2019, 08:49 AM
    • Jim Mason
      preservation
      by Jim Mason
      I have a late Tudor that I would like to knock down the surface rust on. I'm not going to restore it for some time, so I just need to knock the surface rust down, without removing the original finishes (what's left). I then need to prevent the rusts return. this process would be similar to the preservation of a low mileage original. what process is used on the low mileage cars for surface rust...
      03-18-2018, 10:22 PM
    • Steve Plucker
      After Sandblasting...What have you found...
      by Steve Plucker
      After sandblasting a part, what have you found best to treat the part with before painting if left for a period of time?

Thanks.

Pluck
      01-05-2019, 05:18 AM
    • ClaudeC
      waxoyl rust proofing
      by ClaudeC
      There is a product in England called waxoyl that is used for auto undercoating to prevent rust.
      Is there an equivalent product in the USA?
      04-19-2020, 07:39 PM
    • Mitch
      Sub-frame prep
      by Mitch
      I have a sub frame that has surface rust but I'm not sandblasting it at all. I want to brush paint this with Rustoleum. Should I spray it down with Ospho first before painting it or just go ahead and paint it?
      10-18-2019, 08:00 AM
    • cpf240
      Seeking Advice: Paint and Rust Issues
      by cpf240
      My father bought this '29 Special Coupe back in '78. It was in typical barn find condition. At that time, a restoration was started, but never finished. From '80 or so onward, it sat in two different garages, one in Santa Monica, and then sat outside under a tarp in Costa Mesa for several years. So, it has had some salt air exposure.

My father didn't do the work himself, but my grandfather...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 6 photos.
      09-14-2018, 09:46 PM
    • ClaudeC
      effective paint on rust remover
      by ClaudeC
      Is there an effective "paint on rust remover" or do all require you soak the item.
      12-28-2019, 08:43 AM
    • Terry, NJ
      Anyone ever heard of this paint?
      by Terry, NJ
      OK! In my never ending search for a cheaper paint, I was pointed in this direction. It's called RUST SCAT. And it's one of those new water based paints (That we never hear anything good about!) It's an acrylic enamel. You thin it with water. Dry to the touch in 1/2 hour, totally cured , 7 - 10 days. High gloss RUST SCAT 80, for a satin finish, RUST SCAT 90. And NOT TO BE USED ON HOUSES Cost? haven't...
      04-03-2020, 12:19 PM
    • Dennis
      What is bonderizing?
      by Dennis
      I started my last major project of painting my car after the first week of this year. I am stripping everything down to bare metal and have started work on my splash aprons. I noticed the metal has shades of dark blue and dark bronze colors. I dug out my paint and finish guide because I thought I had read something about the process the fenders had gone through to be painted. So what is the difference...
      01-20-2020, 05:43 PM
    Working...
    X