Battery Hold Down Frame Mystery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Hold Down Frame Mystery?

I'm looking for a few good hold down frames to fit the group 1 six volt battery, which is 7 1/8" by 9 1/8", so the frame is 7 1/4" X 9 1/4".
    On the left is my junk yard Studebaker frame, but the edge is getting eaten away from battery acid. Notice the curved cutout for battery cable clearance.
    On the right is how all the ebay frames look, but why is the curved cutout in a different location?
    I would think most of the older 6 volt cars used a similar frame to what I have, but they are hard to find.
    Does anyone know where I can buy some good hold downs exactly like the Studebaker one?

Battery Hold Down.JPGBattery Hold Down 1.jpg

Related Topics

Collapse

• plyfor
    Non Stock Battery Box ( for a driver, etc.)
    by plyfor
    Speedway sells a drop down battery box as per the attached photo. Has anyone tried one of these? They appear to fit a group 1 or many other sizes. The bracket mounting holes are 9" o.c horiz. x 4+" high and perhaps could be secured to the cross member or frame , etc. with some mod's. The photo shows the drop down position though we haven't yet investigated clearance issues, if any.....
    07-31-2018, 12:43 AM
  • plyfor
    New Battery Suggestions needed
    by plyfor
    We've been using Optima batteries with good success in 12 volt applications with 1 wire alternators. We tried a 6 volt Optima and haven't had much success with holding a prolonged charge. Our (commercial) battery vendor won't recommend a maintainer (such as the Battery Tender Junior, etc.) for the 6 volt application unless it's a wet cell battery. Any thoughts and / or what are folks using for batteries...
    05-05-2018, 06:08 PM
  • ClaudeC
    charge a 6 volt battery with 12 volt charger?
    by ClaudeC
    my 6 volt battery charger broke can I use a 12 volt charger in a pinch or will that destroy the battery
    08-11-2018, 04:23 PM
  • ClaudeC
    6 volt auto battery
    by ClaudeC
    Who makes a good 6 volt auto battery
    03-22-2018, 10:04 AM
  • Foxfire
    Script Battery
    by Foxfire
    The only thing I could find was thread in June of 2017 on script batteries. Is anyone still selling them or have they been discontinued? I want to find one but have hit a dead end. I know points are lost with the reproduction script battery. Does anyone know what the difference is in points deducted between a repro script and a modern battery? Is it arbitrary or a set deduction on the judging...
    06-09-2018, 11:12 PM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    Any Hope for Sulfated Batteries?
    by Tom Wesenberg
    Some of the newer battery chargers have a feature to rejuvenate sulfated batteries.

I'm wondering if it's worth trying one.

Does anyone here own one, how well does it work, what brand is it, and how much did it cost? Thanks
    09-29-2017, 11:00 PM
  • ClaudeC
    not sure generator is charging the battery.
    by ClaudeC
    On my 1933 v8 generator is turning, but is there a way to check to see if it is putting out. When the engine in idle I imagine it would take some time to top of the battery, right?
    09-11-2018, 08:38 PM
  • Beauford
    Alternator issue
    by Beauford
    I thought I had it licked by charging my battery but my gauge still stays pegged at 20. When I first fully charged the battery it would drop to around 10....what's the prob??
    09-07-2018, 07:21 PM
  • Hank_kirk
    Question regarding 1926 Model T Re: Battery Polarity Connections
    by Hank_kirk
    I am new to this forum and have a question for you guys. When I built my 1926 Model T in 1962 my friend and well known Model T guru, Chris Egsgaard, instructed me to connect the positive battery pole to the frame and the negative pole to the start button. I have had it like that ever since but the car has always cranked slowly. The question is will reversing the polarity help the starter motor...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    02-06-2018, 05:26 PM
  • Dan Kurth
    Sagging frame questions
    by Dan Kurth
    I have two frames that need to be straightened, one is down about 3/16" and the other about 1/2". I took the front axle off the first one I'm going to try, and plan to leave the rear attached to hold the back down. I have a sawhorse under the frame under the engine mounts, and I'll hang some weights on the frame horns. So, in heating the frame, how hot should I get it and how big of an area...
    08-14-2018, 08:49 PM
Working...
X