A Heavy Duty Quality Fuel Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Heavy Duty Quality Fuel Filter

I saw this filter a month ago at the used tool store, but didn't buy it for $15. Yesterday my neighbor needed a fuel filter for his Army Jeep, and I told him this was the one to buy. The filter is two stacks of thin brass washers held together by long rivets going into the cast iron top. The very thin space between the hundreds of thin brass discs will block out dirt to a very small size. I wonder if it would also block water? I think it would since the fine brass screen in the nozzle on a gas container will block water. The steel plug is to plug the top inlet, then I need to drill and tap for a side inlet. It was nice of the factory to cast a centering divot for this purpose.

Back in the 70's I remember reading about an oil filter used by Rolls Royce that filtered the oil the same way in the 30's. Filter Fuel Brass Disc.JPG

When I worked in an Aircraft Maintenance facility, the oil filters for the DC-6's were that way.
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
      Fuel System Basics and Filtering Options
      by Mitch
      Fuel System Basics and Filtering Options

The stock Model A fuel filtering consists of a stand up pencil type filter screen on top of the tank shutoff valve which sits inside the tank, (these pencil filters were not used when the car was built) a cast iron or glass sediment bowl and an inlet screen at the carburetor. The late 31 indented fire wall models have the shut off valve under the...
      06-19-2017, 11:19 AM
    • Fourdy
      Stock oil filter
      by Fourdy
      I am using the stock flatty filter for the first time on my new engine. While cleaning it up I find only one very small hole in the inner tube about an inch from the top. Should there be more? I also have the restriction fitting at the canister inlet. These holes sure do seem to be small.

Look forward to the answers so I can move on.

Fourdy
      07-01-2018, 08:45 PM
    • Fixitphil
      Fuel Filter
      by Fixitphil
      Where can I purchase a good inline fuel filter? I tried the "Snyder" fuel filter that goes in the gas sediment bowl but cannot get the bowl to stop leaking so I've never really used it.
      I have the solid metal fuel line from the bowl to the carb. I'm planning on cutting the metal line and installing the inline filter there. Thanks, Phil.
      05-01-2018, 10:54 AM
    • Big guy
      Gano Filter
      by Big guy
      Sorry to be so needy but I ordered a Gano filter from Amazon. It came overnight but it appears to be too small. I have searched every site I can think of and all I can find is the same size all marked medium. It will fit inside the water pump outlet. I doubt I can squeeze the radiator hose tight enough to safely seal. Where are you guys buying the larger size?...
      07-17-2019, 02:35 PM
    • 1930 Closed Cab PU
      High Boy Air filter
      by 1930 Closed Cab PU
      Recently tried one of these.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword

Does not seem to be oiled - info on the site sys it is pre-oiled, however does not seem oily to the touch, up to me to oil it?

Had the truck running/idling and removed the filter while running, a very noticeable increase in motor speed - assume...
      05-23-2019, 10:01 AM
    • dmdeaton
      Oil Filter Question
      by dmdeaton
      One more before I go to bed. The roadster has a oil filter block on it with some modern hot rod braided stainless lines going to it. Can I replace these with tubing? Nothing flexes on this and I would like to tone it down a bit so it doesn't look so out of place....
      10-22-2017, 10:08 PM
    • old31
      Adding a Wix paper filter fuel filter on a 31
      by old31
      I have my Wix filter on the glass bowl, as shown in one of Mitch's photos resting in the depression. I have a screen on top of that, and a new cork gasket on top of the screen. It leaks.

The gasket is covering all of the holes around the filter. Should those holes be exposed? I am not sure if it makes a difference. I am guessing that the fuel enters through the center hole and goes out...
      07-18-2018, 08:52 PM
    • Big guy
      Air filter
      by Big guy
      I see many A's without air filters. When I purchased Rose her carb was also naked. I understand she should be naked for shows but I just enjoy driving. Does anyone have a recommendation for filter that isn't overkill and effect carb performance? Just want to protect her guts while driving....
      05-03-2019, 09:38 PM
    • DaWizard
      Air Maze replacement element
      by DaWizard
      Ok, I have someone who insists on using an Air Maze filter and I would like to know which K&N filter element is used too replace the restricting element that comes with the Air Maze?
      01-31-2019, 04:17 PM
    • slammin
      Oil Filter Kits
      by slammin
      According to the previous owner, when he had the engine rebuilt in my 29 it was converted to insert bearings. I have the receipt, from the mid 90s, totaling almost $1,900 Unfortunately, it doesn't itemize the work done. I am considering installing an oil filter kit, from Brattons. All the threads I've read are positive. But I have seen comments that the oil pump doesn't have enough pressure to use...
      12-13-2017, 10:34 AM
    Working...
    X