Battery Positive or Negative Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Positive or Negative Ground

I have this 1950 Automobiles book by Floyd Clymer. It's a good book with loaded with pictures and specs for all the American cars made in 1950. I was checking the battery ground specs, and of the 34 car makes, 22 had positive ground. So, with almost twice as many using positive ground in 1950, I'm surprised they settled on negative ground when they changed to 12 volts just 5 and 6 years later.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1950-Fl...wAAOSwc2FaCI5k

Clymer 1950.jpg

Yes Tom, it is interesting, and knowing electricity as intimately as I do, I see no reason why positive was chosen over negative by some and negative chosen over positive by others. We all know that people are fickle, and the industry was populated with people.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally, the voltages on the wires were positive with respect to earth. This is called negative ground, since the negative side of the battery is grounded to earth. Then engineers discovered that with positive voltage on the copper wires, copper wires age quickly, due to electrolysis. With negative voltage on the wires, in respect to earth, (called positive ground) the copper is protected from corrosion. This is referred to as cathodic protection.

It is partly a matter of convention and standards, and partly because positive earth encourages galvanic corrosion* of the surrounding bodywork - whereas with negative earth is is the much-easier-to-replace electrical contacts that corrode.

3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        You guys learned something today.. lol

• pAAt
        pAAt commented
        Editing a comment
        Everyday Mitch !! Brain hurts, time to drive tractor

• BILL WILLIAMSON
        BILL WILLIAMSON commented
        Editing a comment
        WHY do they call it "EARTH"? D.C. never goes to the DIRT, like that A.C, that'll KILL YOU!--Here, a Guy was drilling, in a wet Hot Water Closet, with an Old Alujimum, 2 wire drill & ELECTROCUTED himself!!!
        Dad Puzzled?

Working on pipelines I have used cathodic protection. Not to mention what different types of crude will do to lines.

Comment

Here's another one for sale cheap on ebay right now. It's really amazing the amount of research Floyd did to be able to publish this book with so many specs on everything from wheel alignment to engine bearing sizes and materials. I was really surprised when I wrote a letter to Floyd Clymer in 1970 and was still able to buy the book for the cover price of only $2. In 1976 I was still able to buy my 1949 and 1952 books for $2 each. Every time I need a spec for my 1950 Studebaker, this is the book I look at first, because it has everything from fan belt size to battery cable size and length. There's even a spark plug chart comparing heat ranges of several brands of plugs.

These books are also available in other years, and I will buy the 1953, if one comes up cheap.
        Just do an ebay search for "Catalog of 1950 Automobiles" and 5 of them are on ebay right now.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DanRitchie
          Jumping a positive negative battery
          by DanRitchie
          This is my first positive negative Model A and I want to hook up a trickle charger. Can you please advise if I still connect positive charger to positive pole on battery?
          Thanks
          Dan
          03-20-2019, 07:22 AM
        • jordanka16
          Convert to negative ground
          by jordanka16
          My car is 12v positive ground with an alternator, I would like it to be negative ground to simplify things and so I can charge devices on the go. Will I be able to use the same alternator if I switch it? I took a picture if it, I seem to recall that it was an AC Delco....
          08-08-2021, 06:40 PM
        • Apperloo
          Negative or positive
          by Apperloo
          The 6v battery on my CDN made 30 A pickup was toast so I purchased a replacement. When I went to hook it back up I noticed it been hooked up Negative ground. I had assumed it was positive ground.
          Is it possible the PO reversed it when he installed it last? I have not yet had it out, only checked it over and replaced the tires etc. I have only run it to put it in and out of the trailer picking...
          03-01-2020, 03:58 PM
        • BillEbob
          Accessory power question not answered over 'there'
          by BillEbob
          Didn't get a 'good answer' "over there!"

How do I establish a viable "ground plane" for CB antenna IF I maintain a positive ground for the radio?

Mitch's "daddy" probably wants me to use 2 tin cans and a length of kite string! Lol

Bill
          04-18-2018, 08:54 PM
        • grover conner
          positive or negative ground on Model T car from Canada
          by grover conner
          I recently acquired a 1922 Tudor sedan that spent it's first 90 years in Canada. It was restored in 1995(in Canada) and only driven a few hundred miles since. I thought all model T were negative ground. This car is set up as 12 volt, positive ground and runs great on BAT, but barely runs on MAG. Do I need to change it back to negative ground, if I do that what else needs to be done. This car was manufactured...
          11-29-2019, 08:07 AM
        • BillEbob
          CB radio install
          by BillEbob
          My '31 Vicky is still a 6 volt, positive ground car. It does have a GM (Pontiac) 6 volt alternator.

I am installing a 6 v to 12 v power inverter with 10 amps output.

Wiring: it has 4 wires (input and output,) IN: red (+) & black (-),
          OUT: yellow (+) & black (-).

I feel I should IN + to vehicle ground and - to battery +

Is this correct?...
          04-14-2018, 09:02 PM
        • Beauford
          TOM W, Phone charger Help!!
          by Beauford
          I wired a 12v double cigar lighter (red wire to ground on trans and black to neg batt) I get 6.4 volts at the lighter. Tried phone charger and nothing, tried GPS and nothing. I turned device plugs in socket as sometimes that solves it. Am I missing something?? I read one of your posts on the subject and seemed pretty straight forward.....
          11-24-2018, 09:20 PM
        • BillEbob
          Head scratcher for "EE" guys
          by BillEbob
          First off: this makes NO SENSE to me!
          • 6V (pos) to 12V (neg) inverter installed

• Circuit with CB radio works fine

• Circuit for Aux pwr (cigarette & USB) tests "hot" with test light.

Cell phone charging cord (BOTH cigarette and USB types) do NOT work! They tested okay in modern car.

Why won't they work in the Vicky❓...
          08-20-2018, 03:50 PM
        • crazyhorse
          going back to positive ground
          by crazyhorse
          I have a 1950 ford that was converted to 12 volts and negative ground. Gauges do not work. I would keep the 12 volt, but want to go back to Positive grnd. hoping the gauges might work. Any wisdom in going back and and if the gauges are shot or can be revived. crazy horse
          12-18-2020, 02:56 PM
        • WMWS
          Headlight Question
          by WMWS
          I am trying to install LED headlights. I just want to use them for daytime running so focus is not an issue. If I install both LED bulbs neither work. If I install one LED and one regular bulb they both work. I have tried turning the bulb 180* as the instructions say to do but no help. It must have something to do with not enough resistance. Any other ideas?
          09-26-2018, 11:52 AM
        Working...
        X