Interesting Rare Third Brake Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Rare Third Brake Light

These are really neat, but usually quite expensive. You connect a vacuum line to a vacuum switch which works off the brake pedal, then to the intake manifold. When the pedal is pushed the vacuum is sent back to the light, which had a vacuum motor to swing the light left and right. I have one that I'll connect to my Model A someday. I'm not sure who made these old lights, but they are often called "Studebaker Wig-Wag".

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...331787718.html

One sold on ebay for 400
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Here's another interesting one I saw a while back:
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Alaskan A's
      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
      Model A Ford Club of America
      Model A Restorers Club
      Antique Automobile Club of America
      Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• CarlG
        CarlG commented
        Editing a comment
        I still like Tom's Studebaker light better, but not $400 better.

Those are pretty cool....
      I’ve not seen them before!
      Regards - Randy
      Randy's Rod Shop
      1933 Ford Tudor "Bugsy"

Comment

I didn't realize they moved so quickly. I may have to install a restrictor to slow mine down when I install it.

Comment

• Big-Foot
          Big-Foot commented
          Editing a comment
          I suppose if you fed it with 12v, it might shake the car like an out of balance washing machine during spin cycle!

Related Topics

Collapse

• carolinamudwalker
        Third brake light
        by carolinamudwalker
        For those of you that tour and do not want to add a right hand tail light I don't see why a third brake light could not be added as a removable unit with a little work. There is a unit called Brake Lighter that goes in your rear window with suction cups. The wiring could be tapped into the left hand brake light or the brake switch and be removable. It is up high were younger drivers are focused...
        07-18-2018, 09:11 AM
      • Mickey
        Need confirmation
        by Mickey
        Late '31 CCPU Tail Lights
        The amber light on top is the brake light/turn signals and the bottom red light is the tail light.
        03-22-2018, 03:27 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Turn Signal Review
        by Tom Wesenberg
        I just installed this turn signal kit on a friend's car, and was impressed with the quality of the unit and the instructions, which were very clear and easy to follow. A third brake light (BrakeLighter) and right taillight were already installed on the car, so that also helped. I removed the Brakelighter power wire terminal, which contained the 2 wires for both sides of the third brake light, and...
        09-20-2017, 05:51 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Turn Signal Review & Installation Info on different styles
        by Tom Wesenberg
        I just installed this turn signal kit on a friend's car, and was impressed with the quality of the unit and the instructions, which were very clear and easy to follow. A third brake light (BrakeLighter) and right taillight were already installed on the car, so that also helped. I removed the Brakelighter power wire terminal, which contained the 2 wires for both sides of the third brake light, and...
        09-20-2017, 05:51 PM
      • pooch
        Crab Dizzy vacuum brake adjustment.
        by pooch
        I have recently bought a cheap vacuum brake bleeder with a gauge on it.

Instead of guessing the spring tension on the brake, was wondering if there was a vacuum reading figure that one could use to set it.

This gauge could also supply a leak down test for the piston too.

09-10-2018, 07:03 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Quality Repro or NOS 1930-1 Brake Light Switch?
        by Tom Wesenberg
        By now you'd think any hidden stash of NOS Model A parts would have been discovered and sold, but this claims these are NOS and look how many he has sold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Model-A...011%26rk%3D1%2...
        02-19-2018, 11:24 PM
      • DaWizard
        LED lights
        by DaWizard
        Since most of you know I have LED headlights, and I thought I posted that the rear were LED also, I find that some info was missing. So here it continues.

The tail lights are the regular tail and stop TeaCup tail light replacement LEDs cut down to fit the Drum tail light, so I at least kept it original to my mid'28 with the Drum buckets.

As I posted in the Kelsey Hayes thread
        10-08-2017, 10:53 PM
      • DaWizard
        LED lights
        by DaWizard
        LED Tail lights:

Original Thread:
        https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...864-led-lights

Since most of you know I have LED headlights, and I thought I posted that the rear were LED also, I find that some info was missing. So here it continues.

The tail lights are the regular tail and stop TeaCup tail light replacement LEDs cut down to fit the Drum
        10-08-2017, 10:53 PM
      • telmore1964
        Ford Model A Vacuum Wiper Motor
        by telmore1964
        I am thinking I would like to have my truck as original as possible and thinking about going back to vacuum wipers. I can't tell for sure if this truck ever had the vacuum motor installed because the holes that are already there don't seem to line up with Trico wiper motor mounting holes. Also on the outside of the window frame there is no hole large enough for the vacuum hose and on the inside of...
        10-02-2018, 03:01 AM
      • Mitch
        Vacuum leak or lean mixture Detection
        by Mitch
        Another easy method to try is if you have a vacuum wiper, just remove the hose off of it. Then spray a shot of carb cleaner in using a straw to see if it picks up the engine.
        11-30-2017, 12:34 PM
      Working...
      X