Testing a Sealed Beam Headlamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing a Sealed Beam Headlamp

I was testing a 6 volt sealed beam, but saw it has a small crack in the edge of the glass.
    Anyway both high and low beam filaments each drew 5 amps for the few seconds they were lit before going up in smoke.

Damn Tom you let the smoke out!
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• KB9JLO
      Headlights - convert back from sealed beam
      by KB9JLO
      I was reasonably sure my headlights had been converted over to sealed beams (6V). I opened one of my headlights and that is correct. Typically when this was done how much has been changed inside the headlight housing?

How hard would it be to convert them back? At the least back to a reflector and lens...
      10-22-2018, 04:22 PM
    • plyfor
      6 volt fog lamps
      by plyfor
      We've been trying to locate 5 1/2" diameter 6 volt LED or non sealed beam lights with lower wattage bulbs to use as turn signals. The present bulbs are sealed MAZDA 401-2A similar to the 35 watt Westinghouse bulbs available from Taillight King and others which fit in housings and retained by a chrome trim ring. Looking for a source for LED or single replaceable bulbs out there, before we try...
      07-20-2018, 09:20 PM
    • Fixitphil
      Halogen headlights
      by Fixitphil
      I purchased halogen bulbs that are supposed to fit the original sockets. What is the difference between those bulbs and a halogen sealed beam with adapter that I found on Barn?
      11-06-2017, 11:04 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      A Different Kind of Bulb Filament Arrangement
      by Tom Wesenberg
      Here's a filament arrangement like I've never seen before. It must be for parking/driving only, as used in 1928 and early 29. Since both filaments are right in the center, it can't have the high/low beam aiming as used on the TWOLITE system.

06-11-2018, 12:00 PM
    • Mickey
      New wire harness issue
      by Mickey
      Is there any reason that there might be an issue with the high/low beam when only the front portion on a wiring harness is conected? With just the headlights and horn connected there is almost no difference between high and low. Just a very very slight change in brightness and no change in up or down positioning. I did recheck the headlight connectors
      03-15-2018, 10:21 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Has Anyone Tried LED Headlamps?
      by Tom Wesenberg
      I see this place has 6 and 12 volt LED headlamps I positive and negative ground. Just wondering if anyone tried them and how they like them?

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/
      03-05-2018, 09:36 PM
    • DaWizard
      Model A LED Headlights
      by DaWizard
      Ok, first off I would like to explain that you will need to purchase the reflectors with the mounting for the Halogen bulb, the 3 ear mount and this LED light set.
      http://www.jdmastar.com/product/318/...-Set-of-2.html

Now, in the following pictures I will make a comment under each one to try to explain what is needed and what was done.

Please read the comments on the
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 15 photos.
      10-24-2018, 01:41 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      NOS Headlamp Bulbs
      by Tom Wesenberg
      Here's something you'd be lucky to find even at Hershey.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-NOS-Vint...hbxMow&vxp=mtr
      10-15-2018, 11:34 PM
    • BudP
      Testing a Model A Coil
      by BudP
      I am looking for some guidance on testing a 6 volt coil with an analog meter. I presume side post to side post will check the primary windings but what should be the setting on the analog meter and what range of numbers constitute an acceptable reading? Almost the same question with regard to checking the secondary windings. I presume side post to center is proper but which side post and what constitutes...
      06-11-2017, 02:07 PM
    • sideline
      Model B Intake
      by sideline
      According to an observation from another member after seeing a photo of my engine, it seems I have a Model B intake manifold. More specially a late B intake.
      Is there any advantage to this? I see a major disadvantage in that the carb flange is angled toward the engine block instead of running parallel to it. This causes alignment issues with the linkages. So I really need to switch to an A...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      09-26-2018, 12:37 PM
    Working...
    X