Look What Fell Off My Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look What Fell Off My Car

Years ago my dad told how the farmers had a saying that on a still night you could hear the corn grow.
    Well, in Minnesota on a still day, you can hear the rust falling.
    I was getting a tire out of my back seat, and I lightly bumped the plastic rocker molding, and a pile of rust dropped off the car.
    Too bad GM didn't fix the rocker problem instead of covering it up with a plastic molding.

Olds Rust.JPG

That's what we call a rust bucket, and the brake lines will all rust out also
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Big hammer
      Big hammer commented
      Editing a comment
      Along with the gas lines :-(

Seen a lot worse but yeah, winter is really hell on cars - especially the salt and chemicals they throw down on the roads.
    Regards - Randy
    Randy's Rod Shop
    1933 Ford Tudor "Bugsy"

Comment

Tom, that's the truck that hauled your new Delco Light from my place !! 450# in the back seat, kinda like taking your mother in law shopping. :rolling
      Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

Originally posted by Big hammer View Post
        Along with the gas lines :-(
        Yes, I really like my 1991 and 1999 Oldsmobiles, but I have never seen any cars that had the brake and fuel lines rust out so quickly.
        The two most important safety parts of the car, and the first to rust out.
        Where is Ralph Nader when you need him? LOL

Comment

I am not a fan of the plastic mouldings, fender flares, ect... Although they are there for appearance they certainly hide the rust.
          A friend of mine went to do some touch up work on his mom's Jaguar. Only to find that there was nothing left of the metal under her rocker covers. I was a Beautiful car, presented itself as clean. Went to the wrecking yard as it was not worth fixing.
          I custom ordered a new 2012 Ram 2500 diesel for myself when I retired. I plan on keeping this truck for another 25 years.
          I could afford the top of the line with all bells and whistles, plus all the extra plastic cladding that comes with it. Instead I opted for the a lower trim level, with no cladding. Less places for the salt to hide in the body. The day I took delivery of my new retirement gift, I drove directly to Krown Rust Control to have this truck completely bathed in oil! I take it there religiously for re-oiling each year. You fellows in the South are lucky, we northerners are always trying to stay ahead of the rusting agents that are poured onto our roads to make driving safer. Kind of an oxi-moron in terms that the roads are safer, as the agents they apply rust out our braking system.?.
          Have a good day guys. Jeff
          Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Look at all the cars that had the vinyl tops pull that top off and they are bad.

Comment

• JDupuis
              JDupuis commented
              Editing a comment
              Point well noted. Some vinyl tops did look great though. Jeff

• BNCHIEF
              BNCHIEF commented
              Editing a comment
              They did make a nice touch and nobody thought about what was going on underneath.

I saw a rocker panel, TOTALLY fabricated from Cincinatti Newspaper & BONDO. A GREAT Sculptor at work.

Comment

I was working for a Ford agency a few years out of high school. I drove in my future father in laws 73 Impala to do some work on it. It had a full vinyl top which was covered in a sheet of ice from some freezing rain. Half way to work i took off from a traffic light and the whole sheet of ice slid off the back of the car. To my horror when i got to work the entire vinyl top was gone. It stuck to that ice and did a clean and complete removal. Of course there was rust on the roof metal before hand but that is something i'll never forget...
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
                BILL WILLIAMSON commented
                Editing a comment
                A Friend had a Volvo Wagon with a FROZEN rear window. Flipped on the rear defogger & the WHOLE window went "BOOM", like GONE!!
                Moral of the story: DON'T SIT ON A HEATING PAD, ON A COLD MORNING!
                Saw a cartoon: a naked Man discovered a LARGE slot head screw, in his belly button, turned it with a LARGE slot head screwdriver. Last pic was an ASTONISHED look, as his HALF ROUND BUTTOCKS, lay on the floor---LOL

:rollingBet you caught hell for hotrodding.

Comment