Another Oil Thread, but for Air Compressor Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Oil Thread, but for Air Compressor Oil

I have a small 3/4 H.P. 4 cylinder Craftsman air compressor that I bought at an auction a few years ago. I'll be changing oil for the first time since I bought it. It's too hard to get running when the temp gets below 55 degrees, so I need a lighter oil. I've always read that air compressors should use non detergent oil, as the detergent oil leaves the valves with a residue. I did a Google search for the best air compressor oil to use, and there was a wide variety of opinions, along with some sound information. It seems Mobil 1 synthetic oil is also OK to use, so I'll try a light weight of that, as my compressor sets out in the cold.

This compressor has 4 very small pistons, so it gives a nice even flow and is very quiet running. I believe it was sold mainly for spray painting, and should not be run any higher than about 75 PSI. I think it was made in the 50's or 60's.

I know people that run a lighter weight detergent oil in their compressors and they hold up fine.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I agree with Mitch, I think the most important thing is to be sure it has oil, and there is nothing wrong with a lighter oil year round.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Choosing a motor oil can make your head spin. Here's a link to just Mobil 1 synthetic, let alone all the other oils Mobil sells. I think they even have a special oil if your car has just push button tuning, instead of signal seeking. This is nuts trying to figure out what oil a person should use. I thought Mobil 1, then pick the weight you want, if you choose synthetic, but there are 10 different Mobil1 oils in this link, plus Mobil now sells other full synthetic oils that aren't called Mobil1.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Always use the flavored spec the car calls for.

A good friend of mine is/was one of the head plant engineers for Beuller Corp and has built dozens of large (we're talking in excess of 100k sq ft) diecast and foundry operations before he started his consulting business. He swears by using Mobil1 10w30 motor oil in his compressors. I switched to this a good 20 years ago and have never yet been disappointed. My compressors run a bit quieter as well which is a bonus..
        Regards - Randy
        Randy's Rod Shop
        1933 Ford Tudor "Bugsy"

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rrich1
          Favorite oil for hand held oil can?
          by rrich1
          What oil do you use for a hand held oil can to lube the various parts on the model A? Also do you use an antique oiler or a new one? The ladder is more curiosity than anything....
          10-08-2019, 07:29 PM
        • Michael M
          Switching to synthetic oil
          by Michael M
          So as not to hijack the other oil thread on here, I thought I would ask a new question in a new thread.

It seems conventional wisdom says you can mix conventional oil and synthetic. Its also been reported that conventional oil will detract from the superior performance of synthetic oil and reduce its benefits.

It's also a given that a quart or more oil stays in the tray...
          09-04-2017, 03:12 PM
        • Steve Plucker
          Looking for a clear oil
          by Steve Plucker
          Would anyone know of a clear oil?

As clear as water!

No color to it.

Thanks.

Pluck
          06-08-2019, 12:44 PM
        • Atlasboy
          Which Engine Oil to use
          by Atlasboy
          I have a 1931 Model A with an original engine, never out of the frame or rebuilt. What type and weight oil would be the best for this Car ?
          11-28-2018, 10:30 AM
        • canadian
          oil return.
          by canadian
          29 all stock engine, pulls dipstick cold engine ,oil level on F mark. engine running for 20 minutes while farting around with stuff. pull dipstick engine off ..oil level 1/4 inch on stick ... 1 hour later ... oil level 1/2 inch on stick . it took 2 hours for oil to return to F. I found out why just by coincidence , the oil return pipe was not hot to touch and I discovered that the lower cork gasket...
          04-16-2019, 11:41 AM
        • earlyfordguy
          Y-Block Maintenance
          by earlyfordguy
          I have a 312 Y-Block in my 56 Vicky. Manual says use 20W oil. Some folks here say to use Rotella Diesel Oil. Any suggestions on weight or oil to protect valves etc. Is diesel oil OK? Thanks for any insights....
          04-25-2019, 10:50 AM
        • tbirdtbird
          Oil change interval observations and comments
          by tbirdtbird
          This applies to both Model As and moderns.
          I think most everyone on this forum would not let their oil go past 3000 miles on their A before changing, at least I hope so. Sooner if the car only gets short runs.
          There are numerous additives, anti-wear and such, that do get depleted.

As far as moderns, there is a trend to extend the interval out to 7500 and beyond.
          It is...
          04-01-2019, 10:35 PM
        • Bikerider58
          Suck it out or let it drip - - oil change
          by Bikerider58
          Sludge in the bottom of the pan is common due to non-detergent oil. If 10 years of non-detergent and 10+ modern detergent oil and engine build; then it seems like the sludge would be cleaned out. I still had a good layer of about 3/8 inch.

I did not check when the pan was off, but suspect a good amount of oil is in the pan below the drain hole. With the engine tilt it seems like there...
          03-23-2019, 01:58 AM
        • Mitch
          Motor Oil Weight Poll & Which Engine Oil to use Info!!
          by Mitch
          What is your favorite weight oil to use? Did I miss any?

Multiple choice answers are allowed.

This is a public poll so others can see your vote.
          5w30 Conventional
          1.75%
          5w30 Full Synthetic
          2.63%
          10w30 Conventional
          14.91%
          10w40 Conventional
          8.77%
          10w40 Full Synthetic
          10.53%
          15w40 Conventional
          28.07%