Loose wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose wheel

Yesterday on my way home from work, I had the opportunity to work on a 37 Packard coupe! Came up on them and noticed a problem, wobbly rear tire.
    I got to use not one but two Big Hammers! to remove the wheel center knock off. The hub bolts where loose, tighten them up and again used two Big Hammers to tighten the knock off. The couple had just bought the street rod in StLoius and where headed home to Ohio.

that's great you were able to help them in distress using only two BIG hammers.
    I never understood how someone can buy a car and then travel a long distance in it without going over it first. Especially a classic car... maybe they are to cheap
    FOR transport it
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

My friend had a wheel come off on his 1929 Stutz because he mounted two of the hub on the wrong side. This allowed the spinner to work loose. Luckily the damage wasn't too severe and he got it repaired OK, but this sure sucks when it happens on a new restoration.

Comment

Some folk just have a bad day, then Tom Terrific drives by... I'd say they learned their Wesen...

Comment

"TOM TERRIFIC"!!!--Now thet's FUNNY!!!--A HERO Badge is in order!!
          Bill W.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Snagglewhen
            Front Wheel Groaning
            by Snagglewhen
            My front right (passenger) wheel has recently taken to making a slight groaning sound while backing up. Not always, but sometimes. This sound does not occur when driving forward. I replaced the bearings in this wheel about a year ago with new Timken bearings. Could one of them have gone bad or am I looking at something else here?

The A has hydraulic brakes, if that makes a differ...
            05-04-2017, 03:25 PM
          • slammin
            Please help identify bent spoke wheel
            by slammin
            Hello Gang!
            This weekend I drove past a place that always has a yard sale going. I noticed an old bent spoke wheel. Its 6 lug so knew it wasn't for a Model A. Lugs are 1/2 inch on a 5 3/8 bolt circle. The wheel measures 19 x 3. Hubcap mount is 5 3/4 ID. The is a stamped steel front drum mounted on it that has an ID of 10 1/2 inches X 2 1/4 deep from edge of opening to the start of the taper....
            03-12-2018, 01:34 PM
          • Ayyy
            NOS Rear Wheel Hub Roller BEARINGS
            by Ayyy
            I search for them, as many people do, but never find.
            There are a few out there, somewhere. Maybe.
            Has anyone found some in the last few years?

“If I cease searching, then, woe is me, I am lost. That is how I look at it - keep going, keep going come what may.”
            Vincent van Gogh...
            04-29-2018, 11:58 PM
          • BNCHIEF
            Hubcaps
            by BNCHIEF
            Putting hub caps on the model a wheel what is a good way to do these and keep them tight and from moving around. One guy has a video posted where he uses silicone seal but I think that is a bad idea. Just wondering what some others here do.
            09-12-2017, 06:11 AM
          • Grover
            Wheel Chock
            by Grover
            Handy wheel chock that stows in a small space. Got this at a small swap meet in Winfield KS many years ago.

06-09-2018, 02:54 PM
          • carolinamudwalker
            wheel balanceing
            by carolinamudwalker
            Ok now that we have all our wheels trued up and tires mounted how can we convince the tire shops to balance them by mounting the wheel by the lug nuts? I have very expensive 19" radial tires from Coker tire. They say to make sure they are balanced using the lug nuts and not the hub. I have not found a tire shop yet that has the adaptor to mount a tire by the lug nuts. Why is this important?...
            11-15-2017, 08:28 AM
          • DaWizard
            Steering Wheel crud
            by DaWizard
            This morning I get up to find a foggy wet morning. I go out to Wheezer to head to breakfast and since I left the windows open last night, the steering wheel is not just damp, but wet, and there is this tar looking crap that sticks to everything. Looks and feels like Cordovan Brown shoe polish. This stuff just stains whatever it touches.

Now, I believe this to be an original wheel that
            09-08-2018, 10:25 AM
          • Kevin in NJ
            Stainless Steel Buffing Advice
            by Kevin in NJ
            Over on the 'other' board someone had posted asking what to do for buffing some stainless. I answered there because I just try to help people, but I thought I would share my response here. I have had some recent not so nice responses over at the other place so I have cut back on my comments significantly.

In the picture the guy posted you could see lots of tiny dents and all sorts of...
            03-28-2018, 08:35 AM
          • Curly
            How to know if wheels (rims) are good?
            by Curly
            I am trying to put 5 good 19 inch wheels together for powder coating. How does one determine if the wheels are good? Any tell tale things to look for?

i thought I would put them on and spin them to check for straightness, but I don’t know how accurate this might be. I will also check each individual spoke.

Thanks in advance....
            11-14-2017, 10:36 PM
          • Standing Elk
            Steering wheel repair
            by Standing Elk
            Am about ready to start repairs on my steering wheel. Got a couple things to run by you guys.
            Since the cracks are mostly fairly fine, I am thinking about taking a Dremel tool and just slightly V ing the cracks then filling them with Bondo and finishing from there. Is Bondo a good choice? After finished I plan to prime and spray paint (rattle can) it. Is there a better way? Thanks
            03-19-2018, 08:42 AM
          Working...
          X