Fun night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun night

Had some really bad thunderstorms come thru here in central kansas last nite. Power went off since I live in a rural area generator not working do not know why yet never a problem power came back on at 3 am i heard a noise motor on awning window was running and would not shut off . 4 inches of rain in 2 hours 60 mph winds and a real light show. My friend and electrician is gonna stop by at 0800 and see if we can figure what is up with the generator. I called him last nite and he said I will be right over what a guy, but I said no it is not that important it is wet let's do it tomorrow when it is light and safer for both of us. This gen problem has me baffled. Always something.

Glad your OK, maybe you can run a cord from Mitch's generator ? You should still have enough power, by the time it gets to Kansas, to run a few things.
    Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      No kiddin.

What's a "power outage"??? We had NO electricity, down in the WOODS & "running water" wus someone trottin' with a BUCKET!
    Dad Remote

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Two years ago power was down for 10 days because of ice storms.

Chief do you have an automatic switch panel?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      No I use a miller bobcat had a bad breaker on the miller fixed now my buddy had one on his truck funny how crap breaks when you have not used it.

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      I did forget to mention i can isolate my gen power from the line power with a switch device in the panel so no lineman gets shocked while fixing downed lines and poles.

I DIDN'T use my Tack Hammer & the MAGONET DIED!---I'd better keep MYSELF moving!
    KDad

Comment

When I was eight I saw the Wizard of Oz and I told myself then, I'll never set foot in Kansas, it has tornados and witches and I don't like neither and I've lived up to that promise, never been to Kansas but..........I still lived through a tornado and married quite a few witches.
      "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of the witches are good witches trying to figure out which witch is which can be expensive.

Originally posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
      I DIDN'T use my Tack Hammer & the MAGONET DIED!---I'd better keep MYSELF moving!
      KDad
      A horseshoe magnet will retain it's magnetism longer if a steel bar is kept across it's ends.
      That's probably also true for the tack hammer with it's split end.
      Might even help to keep the flywheel magnet next to the magneto steel core on small engines. Sometimes it's said to store the engine with the piston at TDC to help prevent cylinder rust, but this will also keep the magnet next to the iron core.

In the 80's I bought an Onan generator that hadn't run in several years. I plugged my saw into it and tried it several times, but the residual magnetism was mostly gone. Finally I grabbed the carb throttle to override the governor and opened it wide open for just a second or two. I did this several times, then the tiny bit of magnetism got it generating once more. It was fine after that, so I'd say a person should exercise the generator at least every couple years, just to keep up the magnetism.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DaWizard
        Polarizing the Generator
        by DaWizard
        I had a call today from someone with an A and the cut-out and some other place heating up, so I will go tomorrow and see whats up, nut it brought a question to mind that I don't remember being addressed here.

When you winterize your Model A and either remove or just disconnect the battery what do you do in the spring to repolarize the generator?

Or do you even repolarize
        12-12-2019, 05:34 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Generator Cutout, What's Wrong Here?
        by Tom Wesenberg
        I'm working on a generator that needs to be restored. Mention was made about a bearing noise, but there was no mention of no output, so I assumed it worked OK. The first thing I check was the cutout, and find the input terminal shorted to ground. It looks like a homemade bracket with just a small thin piece of black plastic that looks like a tiny piece off a TV dinner. You can see the bracket is bent...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        03-09-2018, 01:29 AM
      • Jim Baskin III
        Weird generator problem
        by Jim Baskin III
        A friend just called and said as soon as he turns the ignition switch on the generator runs or tries very hard against the belt.The first thing he did was replace the generator and same problem.Going down tomorrow to look.

Ideas on possible causes very welcome.This one has me stumped off the top of my head.
        07-01-2019, 07:38 PM
      • Terry, NJ
        My Growler!
        by Terry, NJ
        OK Tom and anyone else that knows what they're doing with electricity, I recently acquired a old growler. I know you test armatures in them by rotating it in the big Vee block with a probe, but not how to do it or what to look/listen for. Someone over on the darkside just got told his armature needed to be "Remagnetized" and that will be $90 thank you. Ignorant as I am, I wouldn't have fallen...
        07-25-2018, 05:37 PM
      • Jeff/Illinois
        Generator charging update
        by Jeff/Illinois
        You may recall last year, I had a Genny that wasn't genny-ing. I sent it up to Tom for a professional rebuild and his world renowned EVR along with an original cutout. He went thru both of them and we were off to the races.

A few weeks later I wasn't registering anything on my ammeter. I have an original ammeter rebuilt by Doc Kalinka. I got the multi meter out and started hunting, thought...
        05-09-2018, 03:27 PM
      • Chap52
        Ammeter always reading negative
        by Chap52
        OK here is my current head scratcher. I am running a stock 6 volt positive ground system in my “30 Tudor. I had concerns because the ammeter would always show a discharge of 4-5 amps no matter what the rpm.

When I bought the car the previous owner’s son who was selling his deceased Grandfathers “A” had replaced the battery. OOPS, he installed it Negative Ground and drove it a...
        12-10-2018, 07:03 AM
      • Jedmundcars
        Another Lighting Issue-Ugh!
        by Jedmundcars
        Wanted to see if any of you had run into this one. All lights and horn only work when generator is charging. Just started. With truck off no lights or horn. With truck running at low idle none either. As soon as you go up to high idle and generator kicks in everything works. Truck starts and runs better ever. I have fixed a few electrical issues as they reared their ugly head. Mostly just connections,...
        12-28-2019, 11:54 AM
      • Fred S
        Generator shows discharge
        by Fred S
        I installed what is supposed to be a newly rebuilt generator. I flashed it. Then attached an on off switch between the generator and the wire that goes to it. Started the car with the switch off, and the ammeter showed zero. Turned on the switch, and the ammeter shows minus 10 with the engine running. I took off the belt and turned on the switch and the generator motors slowly in the correct direction...
        05-30-2018, 03:16 PM
      • Beauford
        Dash light Question?
        by Beauford
        Met some friends at the local tavern last night and left before dark. It was a nice evening to drive the '29 RPU topless and always a crowd pleaser! One of the guys wanted me to take him for a spin. It was dark then so decided it was a good time to test the LED headlight!! (never driven in dark) LEDs were awesome and as we were going along I said damn...forgot about this little light so I can see...
        03-15-2019, 09:29 AM
      • gdaquilina
        Name That Generator
        by gdaquilina
        This is the generator that was on the car when I received it in 1993. It has performed well, and I am trying to determine its origin. It has the oilers at both ends and two wires coming from the grommeted hole where the stud to the cutout is usually found. One of the wires is connected to the cutout, the other is a ground to the one of the cutout screws. The pulley is two piece, riveted together,...
        03-25-2019, 04:52 PM
      Working...
      X