John Prine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Prine

He is gone but won't be forgotten on this Little island in Butt F"*K no where. Last performance was May of 2018 here. There hasn't been a party, drinking fest, love fest, that his music hasn't been the spotlight, RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVhA01J0Zsg

Lyrics

We had an apartment in the city
    Me and Loretta liked living there
    Well, it'd been years since the kids had grown
    A life of their own left us alone
    John and Linda live in Omaha
    And Joe is somewhere on the road
    We lost Davy in the Korean war
    And I still don't know what for, don't matter anymore
    Ya' know that old trees just grow stronger
    And old rivers grow wilder ev'ry day
    Old people just grow lonesome
    Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello"

Me and Loretta, we don't talk much more
    She sits and stares through the back door screen
    And all the news just repeats itself
    Like some forgotten dream that we've both seen
    Someday I'll go and call up Rudy
    We worked together at the factory
    But what could I say if asks "What's new?"
    "Nothing, what's with you? Nothing much to do"
    So if you're walking down the street sometime
    And spot some hollow ancient eyes
    Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
    As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello"

Source: LyricFind
    Songwriters: John Prine
    Hello In There lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc

Did You know this about " this Little island in Butt F"*K no where" as seen in Canadian's Post above?
    • According to the Gander International Airport, 39 planes were diverted there on Sept. 11, 2001. About 6,500 passengers had to be processed by the town's single immigration officer, aided by another three who drove in from St. John's.
    • It took up to four days for all the aircraft and passengers to leave Gander for their destinations.
    • The airport at St. John's accepted 21 diverted flights and 16 more went to the Newfoundland cities of Stephenville, Goose Bay and Deer Lake. (Source: Nav Canada)
    • One of the reasons so many planes were sent to Newfoundland and Labrador was to keep them away from large, urban centres such as Toronto and Montreal. Officials didn't know whether the planes posed a threat and wanted to minimize any potential threat to large buildings in Canada.
    Last edited by benson; 04-08-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

The hospitality of the folks in St Johns , Newfoundland Canada on Sep 11th 2001, really hits home with me!

On Jan 27th,
      1969 We were coming "over the pole" in a DC-8 from Vietnam after 12 hours of engine repairs at Okinawa Japan.

Maybe you could say this trip was jinxed!

Our fuel stop was Anchorage, Alaska which was socked in due to a blizzard.

We landed at the small town of Cold Bay, Alaska. I remember that it was snowing, cold and dark and the wind was blowing up a gale.

They opened the front and rear doors of the DC-8. The snow blew inside, turned to rain and went out rear door.

Major snow storm in Seattle when we landed...
      Last edited by benson; 04-08-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Benson thanks so much for those words, I live 2 hrs from Gander, visit there numerous times . Those folks have life long friendships with Americans because of 911, Also the Broadway play ...Come from Away ...was a great tribute to Gander and area. And from John Prine...thats the way the world goes round..

Comment