A New thing to pass time with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New thing to pass time with

These little gadgets have peaked some interest for me, it seems like everything that interests me is pre-1930 (except for woman). These are called stereo viewers they were all the rage from approximately 1860 - 1920 and were made by the thousands. Before people could travel easily these viewers and their cards showed people the world, there are boxed sets of cards from almost everywhere, naturally taken by black and white cameras but some of them got painted or colorized at a later date. It is estimated that about 20% of people won't be able to see these in 3D. I have purchased 2 of these viewers, this is the first one I unpacked pat. date 1895 some parts 1883 made by Perfecscope in the USA but pat. in other countries also, I will post several pictures of this one that came with 16 cards, these things are reasonably priced on eBay.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work very hard to remain stupid".
    - Ben Franklin

Years ago I used to use one every time we visited my relatives.
    The 3D effect was quite fascinating.
    I also bought two of them from ebay about 15 years ago.
    I keep looking for cards with old cars and steam trains, but haven't had much luck.

Comment

I remember being fascinated with these as a kid when I visited at great grandma’s. I bought one at a flea market many years ago. Found a lot of cards, but don’t recall seeing many with cars or trains. Mostly they were scenic vistas, tourist sites, etc. Then there were the occasional risqué series; these always seemed to be from France!

Comment

Tom, I have seen cards with trains pulling into a station they are usually in sets, individual cards are very expensive if they are found if I run across and info on these I will let you know as I am on eBay most days looking at cards. Cars may be hard to find because I think most of these cards were made prior to 1920.
        - Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom Wesenberg I have just had a brilliant idea, Why not make the stereo cards you want, there are many 3D cameras for sale on eBay, prices are reasonable. Trains and cars are on display in many places, if you use black and white film they will look old, this is worth a thought and maybe a money maker for you down the road.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...amera&_sacat=0
          - Ben Franklin

Comment

Way to think outside the “box” camera Bob.
            Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

LOL Jay
              - Ben Franklin

Comment

Here is my second viewer, just unpacked yesterday, A "SATURN" pat 1883 and 1895, both viewers have several pat. dates, it seems the early date is for a particular part and the later date for the viewer itself. I now have the 2 viewers and about 150 cards so my collection is complete. (unless Tom buys a camera and makes cards)

Attached Files
                - Ben Franklin

Comment

Did Jamey make that for you Bob ?
                  Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

LOL, and yet another job for Jamey!
                    - Ben Franklin

Comment

Ten years ago I looked on ebay at the stereo cameras, but it never went further than the thought of buying one.
                      A person could take lots of nice stereo pictures of our old cars and steam trains.

Comment

Possibly a learning curve on these cameras, they are not point and shoot. Would have to understand and know how to use a light meter, and have an understanding how shutter speed and aperture affects field of focus. I do not know if there is info specific to taking pictures with a "stereoscopic" camera. But a 35mm camera without a built in light meter, have to know a few things.

I remember my uncle, the family photographer in the 50/60s taking forever to use a hand held light meter to get his light readings and adjusting the camera while those in the picture patiently waited for him to take pictures.

People born in the 60s and beyond would have to be an photographer enthusiast to know this info.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• BNCHIEF
                          Promoting and growing the VFF
                          by BNCHIEF
                          I had the opportunity this past week to speak to a group of folks about the vff and what we are about here that many people here are very knowledgeable and willing to help especially new folks with their first car or restoration. I said folks here will help you not just say use the search section, well if you are new how do you know what to search for? I passed out key rings and cards to all the...
                          09-23-2017, 12:55 PM
                        • BNCHIEF
                          Couple of general questions
                          by BNCHIEF
                          1. I have called LeBarron Bonney, i have e-mailed them on a purchase they do not return calls or e-mails what is up with them?

2. I have repeatedly attempted to cancel my reservation at the Edwardsin Dearborn calls and e-mails etc nothing from them at all. what bothers me is they have our credit card info from reservations, I talked to the chamber of commerce there and pretty much...
                          01-22-2019, 06:49 AM
                        • Mitch
                          Amish Country
                          by Mitch
                          We took a ride to Lancaster, Pa today. Gotta love the hay bailers and other farm equipment being pulled by 4 horses.

10-05-2019, 03:18 PM
                        • Beauford
                          Heads up on 3:27 ring and Pinion
                          by Beauford
                          Some of the vendors advertise they have these but in reality they are on backorder. They of course will refund your money but it is a bit of a hassle not knowing before hand. Steve at Berts will have 50 sets in later this week. All USA made in Chicago!!! He is about 35$ cheaper than the rest while researching these gears on my spare rear rebuild....
                          04-04-2019, 10:55 AM
                        • Jim Mason
                          roy nacewitz business
                          by Jim Mason
                          As most of you know, Roy's business has been closed down. His hardware business has been around since 1975 when he and two other partners started Dearborn Hi-Point Specialties. That later became Roy Nacewicz Enterprises.

Aside from losing one of my closest friends, Like others; I hated to see a business that has been such a great resource to us for over 40 years come to a sudden end....
                          08-11-2019, 08:56 PM
                        • Tom Wesenberg
                          A Slight Delay in Making New Voltage Regulators
                          by Tom Wesenberg
                          When I started making voltage regulators years ago, I bought my transistors from the local electronics surplus store. I bought all 15 Motorola transistors that they had, and they worked fine. I then found a guy on ebay that had a box of 200 ON brand, so I bought his, and they worked fine. Now I'm down to just a few left, and I couldn't find the ones I wanted from an American supplier, so I ordered...
                          09-11-2018, 04:35 AM
                        • Afordman31
                          Barn Find Article!
                          by Afordman31
                          He sure had the love for cars!

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...28_HagertyNews
                          12-07-2018, 08:34 AM
                        • sphanna
                          Bad Chinese Thermostats vs Good made in Israel thermostat
                          by sphanna
                          i went to NAPA and purchased a Stant 180* thermostat. Got home and tested it before installation. It would not open even in boiling water. Took it back and noticed it was made in China. Got my money back and said I wanted one made in US and was told that no-one made them in us anymore. All from China. I said, I'll check somewhere else. I went to OReilly's and found a (Murray Plus + # 3838 ) 180* Thermostat...
                          10-12-2017, 10:13 PM
                        • Hoogah
                          Model A farming plant - is there anything like this?
                          by Hoogah
                          Over the past couple of weeks, I've been involved in preparations for a clearing sale on a farm that belonged to two bachelor brothers. The last of the brothers passed away about 18 months ago. Both were well into their 80s when they died. What is unique about these blokes is that they farmed in some kind of time warp for almost all of their lives.
                          • Their daily transport ("going to town"
                          01-19-2019, 05:55 AM
                        • Ray Horton
                          A consideration on restoration
                          by Ray Horton
                          "If the driveline on the A is properly restored to factory specs (keep in mind I'm not talking Judging Standards but Ford original specs for fit) it is a VERY reliable car."

This was a comment from a knowledgeable professional restorer, Kevin in NJ, and though I have heard similar comments before, this one caught my attention for the distinction drawn between Judging Standards...
                          12-27-2017, 08:39 PM
                        Working...
                        X