Road Trip on Some of America's Oldest Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip on Some of America's Oldest Roads

Earlier this month I drove some of America's oldest highways. I drove the Lincoln Highway (established in 1913) from the Gettysburg, PA area to it's terminus in Lincoln Park in San Francisco. At San Fran I turned South and took the Pacific Coastal Highway (completed by prisoners during the Depression) to the Santa Monica Pier which was the end point of old Route 66 (the major migrant road from the Mid-West to CA in the 1930's). I drove on the old portions of Route 66 for a while but left it to tour Arizona's Monument Valley, returned to it, and then left it for good in Tucumcari, NM to head into Kansas to visit friends, then home. The quarantine was effected after I had gone about 700 miles west on the Lincoln Hwy. I elected to continue. I was only slightly inconvenienced but was disappointed that some of the attractions and a major automobile museum was closed by the quarantine. I got back about the middle of this week. Photographs taken along the way are below

Out of curiosity, what was your set of wheels that you took on this trip?? Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Comment

Great photos!
      Thanks for sharing Bud. ​​​​​​​
      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Jamey-Last summer I took my Model A's on weekend trips as well as a 1957 Thunderbird. I decided I liked comfortable seating, AC and heat a lot! I took a 2016 Ford Explorer. Was glad I did as I was a day behind the 6' of snow that hit Donner Pass in CA when I went through it. Roadside snow was well above the car. Also, in the mountains above Taos, NM I was in drifting snow and then sleet for about 3 hours with a wind so strong that I really had to hold onto the car door if I opened it to see if my wheels were still on pavement. I came out of that storm as I got to lower elevation and entered a desert lightning and thunderstorm that was quite impressive. An older car could certainly make the trip but it would be better to do it in the summer and as part of a caravan.

Comment

Nice trip Bud, did you go with anyone else? Thanks for sharing those pictures, I thoroughly enjoyed them. I’m glad you made it back safely.

Stay safe my friend
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

A hand full of years ago, my wife and I did a similar drive, picking up Route 66 at Pontiac and following it as far as Denman when we turned to Phoenix to catch up with Model A friends.
            BTW, I think you'll find Monument Valley is in Utah, not Arizona.
            Thanks for bringing back those memories

Comment

Hi Mitch-I was to meet a friend who was to fly into Santa Monica and I was to drop him off in Wichita. He cancelled when he found the micro-breweries would be closed.

Greynomad-Monument Valley is located on the Arizona-Utah border. I was in both states. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Valley Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Comment

Bud, when going through Nebraska at one point you were less than a mile (as the bird flies) from where I grew up. Our house sat on what was at one point part of Fort McPherson. Rod
                At some point in time standardization was a creative idea.

Comment

Believe it or not, Rowdy, I actually thought of you and your Model A stash pile when I went through NE.

Comment

Unfortunately the farm is sold, so alot of the stash was sold, but still have plenty. I have moved to the East end of the state. Still have some stuff stashed at a friends place near Gothenburg incuding my A at this point. Working on getting things put away and organized so I can get the A here. Then will bring the rearends and bigger stuff to finish salvaging out what is usable. Still need to sell the KRW and Kwikway stuff as there is not enough room here and still have usable shop space. Rod
                    At some point in time standardization was a creative idea.

Comment

Has anyone done the US Route 20 coast to coast? If yes, was it a nice/fun trip?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Apple Green Wheels Rule
                        Your Longest Road Trip?
                        by Apple Green Wheels Rule
                        What has been your longest road trip, how many days and how many miles per day? This I'm sure will vary due to age and derriere. One couple in our club drive has driven all over the country from state to state. What's your longest trip?...
                        04-02-2018, 08:02 AM
                      • 1930 Closed Cab PU
                        Sharon WI, 1st timer with an A
                        by 1930 Closed Cab PU
                        Sharon is fast approaching, if the weather is decent (not raining) will be my 1st time at a get together with my A. Driving there by myself. About 60 miles, figure 2 hrs. including pit stops.

Have been there before without my A. . Would appreciate any advice/tips on attending and getting there and back, for a 1st timer .

Thanks
                        05-17-2019, 07:48 AM
                      • WMWS
                        Long distance tour
                        by WMWS
                        Does anyone know if there is a group going on a long distance tour. Like across the country or to Alaska. Maybe one of the clubs that you could join. 5 to 10 cars would be just right. It would take some organizing with logistics, parts and at least one or two good mechanics. Does anyone else think that sounds fun?
                        12-03-2019, 12:07 PM
                      • DaWizard
                        Whirlwind 3 day outing!
                        by DaWizard
                        I will preface this by saying that we have the greatest Model Aers in the Diamond Tread chapter of MAFCA!

One of our working members was to have a weeks vacation so one of the others suggests we have an outing to commemorate the vacation. After 2 weeks of intense planning it was finalized and set for Mar 26th. We left from one of the clubs favorite starting spots, Der Weenerschnitzle...
                        03-30-2018, 10:55 PM
                      • Big guy
                        Roads to Dearborn
                        by Big guy
                        I'm looking forward to driving the old girl to Dearborn. I was wondering what highways most road trip on. I'm a little concerned that interstate driving is both a prolonged strain on her and a little dangerous for me. Do you guys and Ladies drive interstates in Model A's? Sorry for the rookie question but I've never passed an antique on the highway and I am intimidated (angered) by tailgaters. What...
                        08-03-2019, 09:16 AM
                      • CarlG
                        Alaskan A's trip to Kodiak Island
                        by CarlG
                        The Alaskan A's sponsored a trip to Kodiak Island last week. Three clubs participated - The Alaskan A's, The Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska, and The Vernon Nash Antique Car Club of Fairbanks. We had about 22 cars from all over the state (7 Model A's) and 42 people that participated. My vehicle logged 600 miles. Some were more, some were less, depending on where they started from. It was a fun filled...
                        06-25-2018, 01:27 PM
                      • BNCHIEF
                        GAMARAI TOUR REPORT AND PICTURES
                        by BNCHIEF
                        This past week I went to tour with the central model a club of Iowa, what a wonderful bunch of people make you feel right at home We left Altoona Iowa(desmoines) on our way to Davenport Ia. On the way we visited the amana colonies and drove thru rural areas with fields of corn and beautiful farms. We then spent the next 3 nights in davenport on the mississippi river. There is so much to see there...
                        09-23-2017, 08:34 AM
                      • Ray Horton
                        Have you ever been stopped by a cop?
                        by Ray Horton
                        Beauford's post about his two mile drive for a Coke got me thinking about the times I've been stopped by a cop while I was driving my A. It might be entertaining, if not informative, to share some stories. One of my memorable stops was coming home about 9:00 pm on a dark country road with my 3-month old daughter asleep in the back seat (no carrier, it was 1970). First the county deputy wanted to tell...
                        01-06-2018, 08:39 PM
                      • Paul K.
                        Road Trip - Austin, TX to D.C.
                        by Paul K.
                        We are leaving Austin in the morning headed to D.C. 5 Model A's. Hoping for good weather. Staying on the back roads. Wish us safe travels and good luck!
                        04-21-2019, 07:01 PM
                      Working...
                      X