Clear Protective Coating for Plain Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Protective Coating for Plain Hardware

I was using some Krylon semi-gloss clear as a protectant for plain bolts, and it was perfect, not too shiny and not too flat.

I went to Menards to buy some more, but now I see matte, semi-gloss, and satin. All 3 sound like the same thing to me. Is there a difference?

With gloss as the shiniest, semi gloss is next (think nickle plating that needs to be polished), then satin (think butler nickle), then last is matte or flat.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mike V. Florida
      Japan Black
      by Mike V. Florida
      There are a few items on the A that were protected by the process called Japan Black or Japanning. The Guidelines say the parts were dull but from what I have read and seen about the process, the results were far from dull.

So here are the questions, has anyone used the process? How glossy did it come out? Did you have it judged and what was the point result?

Here is a formula...
      02-17-2019, 03:21 PM
    • Hank B
      Fastener Finish
      by Hank B
      I am restoring a '30 Coupe. No plans to make it a fine point car or anything, but I like the look of some of the unfinished fasteners, particularly in the Engine Compartment. The contrast adds to the look. I have read that some restorers put a clear coat on these fasteners to protect them from rusting. Since the job of doing that is somewhat painstaking, I was curious as to whether anyone can share...
      03-09-2018, 10:52 AM
    • Kevin in NJ
      Unfinished Nuts and Bolts.. What have you done and how well has it survived?
      by Kevin in NJ
      So I am sorting out nuts and bolts for building an engine. I have been hand cleaning them with a wire brush since they are supposed to be unfinished. I have been giving them a quick coat of semi gloss clear. I have a blast booth and can go that way, but a lot of the greasy lighty rusted engine bolts tend to have the original machinging marks and I would like to keep them. No, I am not doing a points...
      11-07-2017, 10:47 AM
    • Chevmn56
      judging Standards Paint Codes
      by Chevmn56
      Hello all !!! i am real close to putting various engine parts back on Clyde. What started as a tune up 2 months ago, has now grown. I think i have the bug also. But in reading the Judging Standards book it makes referance to 2 paimt codes B- Black and R-Raven, now on doing some research on the internet i think R-Raven would be gloss black?????, so what is B-Black????? satin????
      01-16-2018, 08:48 PM
    • smittykid
      Correct black paint for gen., starter, oil pan, etc.?
      by smittykid
      The engine is out of my 29 Tudor being rebuilt by the folks out in Skokie, Il. While everything is off the engine-I figured now would be the time to paint the black stuff. Would Rustoleum gloss black be close? I'm not really going for a high point show car, but since everything is off and relatively easy to paint-I would like to get it close. Obviously, Rustoleum paint is readily available. ...
      08-12-2017, 07:46 AM
    • 1930murray
      Axle part paint sheens
      by 1930murray
      What black paint sheen should the spring clamps be? (I am referring to the c-shaped clamp that clips into and around the middle leaf of each pack)

What black paint sheen should the spring hanger (shackle) be?

what black paint sheen should the hanger bars be?

I am wondering why these items are not listed on sheet 4-22 in the judging standards. Are these components...
      03-21-2019, 10:56 PM
    • Logan
      Single stage vs. base coat/clear coat
      by Logan
      I’ve read on this forum several times about how people don’t like the “base/clear” look. And that the single stage urethane is a more “correct” appearance. But as a professional painter I’ve never really understood the argument. Base clear is a much simpler system to make repairs on, the only advantage in my opinion to single stage is it’s cheaper to buy a one step system than a two...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.
      11-19-2018, 08:55 PM
    • Norm
      Raven finish on fine point nuts bolts ect
      by Norm
      My first post , I am looking for some information on how to duplicate the raven finish for fine point . Any suggestions? All help appreciated . Thanks , Norm
      09-27-2017, 04:37 PM
    Working...
    X