Lathes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathes

I never owned a lathe, but my in the know friend recommended me to look into a Smithy 3 in 1 if i was to purchase one.
    Thoughts!
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

What are you going to use it for?
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of the same stuff you guys do

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      So you are going to build live steam engines and fart around making tools and tidbits. Ok

www.littlemachineshop.com

I also recommend getting a Mill too since these guys don't have a combo mill lathe. Be sure to get something with a digital read out, you will use that most of all, or you will wind up using analog dial indicators. Both work, but the DRO is better.
      Last edited by DaWizard; 09-03-2017, 12:18 PM.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      No steam engines just general tooling around
      I'm kinda in the same boat as Mike V

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Wiz

Depends on what you are going to use it for. How big a swing ,4 jaw chuck, 3 jaw chuck, do you want a face plate.
    Mine is a old tool room lathe. My expence with one does it all is not so good, but it might be ok for a lot of jobs. But a old name brand tool room lathe will last and do very good work.( ps just make sure all the screw slots are in line.)

But you will need a nice little Bridgeport mill. You can do a lot with a good Bridgeport mill.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks George

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      You can't go wrong with a Bridgeport mill. I can do just about everything I do on a Bridgeport, including turning parts.

It's all in the setup !

A skilled machinist on a Bridgeport is a wonder to behold!

I learned a lot from a skilled machinist who totally built from scratch carburetors on a Bridgeport while I worked for him on his lathes. I only wish I could remember the big company that stole his idea.
      Last edited by DaWizard; 09-03-2017, 04:01 PM.

Doing some more reading the 3 in 1 may not do as good as a job and your spending more time switching things around, with space limitations
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

JUST THINK, with all the BIG expense, etc, of building a LATHE, the final, actual work is being done by an ITTY-BITTY, POINTY BIT!---AMAZING!!!!
      KDad Brainboggled

Comment

widgetinstance 451 (<center>Related Topics</center>) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X