Lathes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathes

I never owned a lathe, but my in the know friend recommended me to look into a Smithy 3 in 1 if i was to purchase one.
    Thoughts!
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

What are you going to use it for?
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of the same stuff you guys do

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      So you are going to build live steam engines and fart around making tools and tidbits. Ok

www.littlemachineshop.com

I also recommend getting a Mill too since these guys don't have a combo mill lathe. Be sure to get something with a digital read out, you will use that most of all, or you will wind up using analog dial indicators. Both work, but the DRO is better.
      Last edited by DaWizard; 09-03-2017, 11:18 AM.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      No steam engines just general tooling around
      I'm kinda in the same boat as Mike V

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Wiz

Depends on what you are going to use it for. How big a swing ,4 jaw chuck, 3 jaw chuck, do you want a face plate.
    Mine is a old tool room lathe. My expence with one does it all is not so good, but it might be ok for a lot of jobs. But a old name brand tool room lathe will last and do very good work.( ps just make sure all the screw slots are in line.)

But you will need a nice little Bridgeport mill. You can do a lot with a good Bridgeport mill.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks George

• DaWizard
      DaWizard commented
      Editing a comment
      You can't go wrong with a Bridgeport mill. I can do just about everything I do on a Bridgeport, including turning parts.

It's all in the setup !

A skilled machinist on a Bridgeport is a wonder to behold!

I learned a lot from a skilled machinist who totally built from scratch carburetors on a Bridgeport while I worked for him on his lathes. I only wish I could remember the big company that stole his idea.
      Last edited by DaWizard; 09-03-2017, 03:01 PM.

Doing some more reading the 3 in 1 may not do as good as a job and your spending more time switching things around, with space limitations
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

JUST THINK, with all the BIG expense, etc, of building a LATHE, the final, actual work is being done by an ITTY-BITTY, POINTY BIT!---AMAZING!!!!
      KDad Brainboggled

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ClaudeC
        with Sears going bust, Craftesman tools too?, What is a good brand of tool
        by ClaudeC
        I tried to get a replacement for a broken craftsman ratchet, Loews won't replace..They sell only boxed sets. anyway maybe that is a sign of things to come. What is a good brand of tool? Snap on is just too expensive.
        10-17-2018, 04:59 PM
      • Captndan
        Inserts
        by Captndan
        If you're going to have an engine rebuilt all the way why would you use babbit instead of insert bearings?
        09-12-2017, 08:59 AM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Working on the Model A with Tools that Don't Work
        by Tom Wesenberg
        I know most of us have one or more Craftsman ratchets, and what do you do when they don't work? Now that Sears has closed so many stores, we can't run down to exchange them. This afternoon I was fixing my neighbor's Toro fuel pump, and the 1/4" ratchet he handed me didn't work, so I removed the snap ring, wire brushed the rust off and dipped it in ATF, then smeared grease on the ratchet wheel...
        09-23-2018, 11:23 PM
      • That80sGuy
        New Guy... in Georgia
        by That80sGuy
        Greetings!! I am new here...in the process of finalizing the purchase of a 1926 Model T Touring. I have loved these cars all my life and now I am in a position to own one and am pretty excited! Currently I'm reading all the info I can get on care and maintenance as well as places to get parts and repair advice. The car I'm looking at is 100% complete but has not been cranked or driven in about 5yrs....
        10-12-2017, 10:22 AM
      • reggie
        New to the forum
        by reggie
        HI: I'm from Northern Wisconsin and I have a Late 31 Deluxe Tudor that I have been working on for years now, when I can afford to work on it as I'm disabled now have been for about twenty years now and I can't afford to hire anyone to help me with the car but I keep doing what I can do on it. As I won't sell the car as it's staying in the family has been in the family since about 1940 or 1945 or...
        06-13-2018, 12:46 PM
      • DaWizard
        Transmission swap
        by DaWizard
        Mitch, I'm not sure where this should be placed, so I'm asking here.

I have been pondering a trans swap to a 5spd OD transmission and was wondering what the experts out in interweb land think.

I know I am going to need to pull the trans sooner or later and when I do, I want to get me a 5spd OD and install that instead putting the original back.

I have been reading
        10-22-2017, 06:49 PM
      • old31
        Pinion puller
        by old31
        Mitch on the dark side you mentioned a Snap On set that you really liked. Do you a have the part number? Or is there a better used kit that I could look for ?
        01-03-2018, 10:21 AM
      • DaWizard
        First Aid kit
        by DaWizard
        Since I don't know where to put this, here it goes and I'll let the PTB fit it where it should be.

How many of you carry a Fire Extinguisher?

How many carry a First Aid Kit?

How many of you know how to use either?

In the basic First Aid Kit you have the normal bandages and ointments and such, but how many have super glue?

Now you are
        09-03-2017, 05:48 PM
      Working...
      X