Windows 7 Support Ends January 14, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Support Ends January 14, 2020

I just got a warning on my computer that Windows is ending support for 7, which is what I have.
    I don't understand why they have to keep changing things, other than to make people buy new stuff to replace something that works excellent.

Well Tom, since I was a real fan of Win98 B version and was forced to buy up to Win 7, I am not surprised. The first thing I did on my current Win 7Pro puter was remove the "auto Win 8" upgrade crap that was auto uploaded with each update and I still continue to remove the auto update crap.

Thanks for the warning on the support date, that will just insure that I don't allow any updates passed that date.
    Whenever I pass someone who's texting and driving, I throw my beer at their window.

Comment

Tom I am in the same boat as you. I have windows 7 also. I might upgrade my computer when that time comes.

Comment

For what it is worth, I used to use Windows XP. A perfectly good system. Then Microsoft ground out some "updated" operating systems (most of them junk) and I thought this is a never ending money pit. Plus I had virus after virus - even with an anti-virus program.

I thought enough was enough. In 2015 I bought an iMac then in 2016 a Macbook pro. What a fantastic piece of kit. Updates are automatic and free of charge. No virus problems, minimal junk mail. I should have bought a Mac sooner and saved most of my hair! Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
          I. . . I don't understand why they have to keep changing things, other than to make people buy new stuff to replace something that works excellent.
          That sounds exactly like Henry talking to Edsel about abandoning the "T".

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK View Post
            That sounds exactly like Henry talking to Edsel about abandoning the "T".
            But, the A was an improvement over the T. I had Windows ME Super, then XP, and now 7, and I know each worked great, but they kept changing, and I heard how bad 8 was, so I never downloaded it. I haven't heard anything about the others that came after 8.

Comment

Tom,

load this on your PC

https://linuxmint.com/

Not windows, not apple, not android,

NO SPYWARE..... no google tracking..

Comment

MSHModelA-how long have you used this operating system? Are there disadvantages? If I remain interested, can I do a test run on an older computer that is running well and if I do not like it, can I delete it and revert back to the older system without issues? Am looking for a "test drive" here before I commit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

But, the A was an improvement over the T. I had Windows ME Super, then XP, and now 7, and I know each worked great, but they kept changing, and I heard how bad 8 was, so I never downloaded it. I haven't heard anything about the others that came after 8.

Windows 10 is very good, it's what I use, much better than 8. But if you still use 7 and are considering upgrading I would wait for what replaces 10 and see how good it is. You would be ahead of the game that way.

Comment

Bud,

I am a 25 year plus Unix/Linux Engineer, you name it've working on it, IBM AIX, HP-UX, SGI IRIX, and more. Mint is an Irish distribution of Linux and is one of the distributions I use. I have used Mint for about 4 years, and is made for the desktop user..

You'll need to back up any of your data to a external USB hard drive before you wipe and load. Linux runs on old PCs very well.

If you need a PC to browse the web or do basic work processing etc. This is the operation system for you.

you load the os on a USB thumb drive, both you pc from the thumb drive and an install program will prompt you...very simple.

1st: make usb thumb drive

https://youtu.be/S0gLlSIqKwU
                    Last edited by mshmodela; 06-16-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Many thanks MSH!

Comment