12 volt DC to 110 AC Rotary Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt DC to 110 AC Rotary Converter

I bought this antique voltage converter a few months ago. You feed 12 volts DC into one end, and pick up 110 AC on the opposite end through another set of brushes. I also have a couple of more modern converters made by Honeywell, and they are much more efficient. This is the first one I've seen where the shaft comes out the end of the case, and has a pulley. Has anyone else seen a converter like this?

I'm wondering if the pulley is so it could be powered by a small gas motor, or is it so you can use it as an electric motor to power something?

I believe the pulley is for drive only. This is likely a Gramme ring design converter used to convert AC, when available, or shaft engine power input to a DC output. I've seen several like that for 32V output. I love those big threaded bakelite brush caps and the asbestos wire!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 29er
      Electricity for Dummies
      by 29er
      So, what's the difference between an alternator and a generator?
      01-19-2018, 02:30 PM
    • MikeK
      Chassis Wiring - How Many Amps?
      by MikeK
      OK, get your Lucas replacement smoke ready . . .

The stock A harness is all 16ga. Does this mean a 20 amp load will burn it up?

I was helping a friend swap out a dead alternator on his modern and he commented about how the 100 amp alt was connected with "only" an 8ga output lead. Most car guys seem to magically defer to house wiring rules of thumb for gauge vs.
      05-19-2017, 10:40 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Power Outlets for GPS and Phone
      by Tom Wesenberg
      Here's a link to the outlet I use for powering my GPS and phone. Just cut the plug off and connect the positive wire to ground, and the negative wire to a convenient terminal, such as the rear of the ammeter, or to the starter switch terminal. Leave an inch or two of wire on the plug, and you can use it for some project like a jumper cable to keep a spare battery charged while you drive.
      02-21-2018, 01:15 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Another Gadget for your Model A
      by Tom Wesenberg
      Well, not to be outdone by Pat with his built in mirror compass in his modern Ford, I thought I'd buy a digital compass for my car. This is a nice unit that gives inside and outside temp, date, day, time, alarm clock, and digital compass. It's listed as 12 volts, but I just tested it on my regulated power supply, and it works fine down to 4 volts, so it's going to work fine in your Model A. On 12...
      05-26-2018, 07:16 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Basic DC Voltmeter to Buy
      by Tom Wesenberg
      Some people like to use a basic plain voltmeter, rather than a multimeter. Here is one that will do the job nicely and is less that $5. I also like the test light that Harbor Freight sells for about $4. With these 2 tools, it's easy to check out the electrical on the Model A, or any other 6 volt car. If you use a 12 volt battery, then just search for "15 volt DC analog meter" on ebay....
      04-14-2018, 07:30 AM
    • old31
      Need more amps out of my 31, 6 volt generator.
      by old31
      What can I look for or do to get more amps out of my generator?

I have the 3rd arm adjusted all the way down, it can go no lower. I drive with my lights on, and with low beam I can get no more than half an amp. High beam it goes negative.
      09-11-2018, 02:39 AM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Electricity 101
      by Tom Wesenberg
      When making electrical checks you can be measuring voltage or amperage. Voltage is the pressure behind the electron flow. Think of a high pressure hose squirting water on the lawn. It might have 40 pounds of line pressure, but not a lot of flow. Amperage is the amount of flow. Think of a river which flows hundreds of gallons of water per second. It doesn't have much pressure, as you can hold the open...
      05-17-2017, 03:49 PM
    • canadian
      tension headache.
      by canadian
      wants to Barf but Help... background ... I Am a retired auto tech , 35 years of 12 volt /negative. never seen a positive ground system let alone service one. So of course my 29 is going to be 12 v neg. heres my brain fart. what the F does that pop out cable screwed into Distrubitor carry when 12 volt system properly installed . am I that stupid ? man I just cant seem to get negative ground out...
      05-10-2018, 03:32 PM
    • canadian
      Alternator pulley
      by canadian
      anyone have any knowledge of pulley to retro fit on 12 volt G.M. alternator? Brattons has a pulley part # 15380 , I enquired if it was in stock ,which it is but they said they wouldn't guarantee it would fit a G.M Alternator....
      06-14-2018, 03:58 PM
    • sunnyorm
      6 volt Chargers
      by sunnyorm
      Looking for consensus on good Battery Chargers for 6 volt (mine is Optima)

I searched using 12 volt charger (which mine is now) on a 6 volt, but am not sure, if it is alright?
      05-06-2018, 11:06 AM
    Working...
    X