Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Tidbits

Tidbit #1

If your working with a combination wrench and you find that you need more leverage to break something loose or tighten it, try interlocking another wrench as shown. The wrenches can be locked to work in either direction

Attached Files
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Nice tip Mitch, looks like it also gives you a nice flat surface to apply pressure on too.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Tidbit #2

These little plastic non marring pry wedges are great for door panel clips, prying or separating something, unlimited uses.
      It's one of the few decent things you can still get from Harbor Freight :

C0AB0A09-AF7B-4538-9719-E7993C3D0ACBL0001.jpg
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I have a "whole" drawer of CHEATER pipes & LOCATING Studs, along with a slide hammer & 17 home made ATTACHMENTS for it.---I made 1, to bang out door hinge pins, from the bottom!--DIDN'T work very well!
        Dad Makeshift

Comment

Tidbit #3

If you want to protect a freshly painted screw head put a little masking or painters tape on the screw rodger blade. The same thing can be done to line a socket or a wrench for a bolt or nut.

E751A02C-F070-4F49-9E13-99CB7E9626DDL0001.jpg
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
            Tidbit #3

If you want to protect a freshly painted screw head put a little masking or painters tape on the screw rodger blade. The same thing can be done to line a socket or a wrench for a bolt or nut.
            Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "rodger" blade?
            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Big hammer
              Big hammer commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't you just love spell checkers :-)

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              That's just a slang I sometimes use it was inserted intentionally..

• BNCHIEF
              BNCHIEF commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought it was a special snap-off tool.

Tidbit #4

Waterproofing Heatshrink Tubing

To create a more waterproof seal when using heatshrink tubing, apply some dielectric grease to the wire you are insulating, slide on the tubing, and heat as normal. As the tubing shrinks, it will squeeze out the excess grease and leave you with a very waterproof seal. I usually use a heat gun instead of a flame!!

3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I use what I have handy but the heat gun is a better choice great tip on the grease never seen it done.

Comment

• pAAt
                pAAt commented
                Editing a comment
                I need to get a heat gun. What would be a good choice, model and brand name ?

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Any brand will work,, i even once used a hair drier

• BNCHIEF
                BNCHIEF commented
                Editing a comment
                Until your wife caught you.

• Michael M
                Michael M commented
                Editing a comment
                Mitch's hairdryer reminded me of:

"Two guys in a gym, one putting on a girdle. One guys says, `Since when have you been wearing a girdle?' Other guy says, `Since my wife found it in the back seat of our car.' "

Tidbit #5

Keep tools in your toolbox rust free by storing a few pieces of blackboard chalk in each compartment that contains metal tools or other hardware.
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                Tidbit #4

Waterproofing Heatshrink Tubing

To create a more waterproof seal when using heatshrink tubing, apply some dielectric grease to the wire you are insulating, slide on the tubing, and heat as normal. As the tubing shrinks, it will squeeze out the excess grease and leave you with a very waterproof seal. I usually use a heat gun instead of a flame!!

Nice manicured fingernails there Mitch!!!! Sure you're a mechanic? No grease!!!!:p
                "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HAHA I had my wife hold it LOL

• Ted Duke
                  Ted Duke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I NEVER remember to cream my hands before working in grease, and hate gloves unless essential. Grease removers IMHO don't work. I go to the dollar store and buy the largest plastic bottle of shampoo I can find. Hot or cold water and plenty of shampoo and it makes you hands clean. Think about it, SHE uses it to get the oil out of her so she can style it. I keep one in shop and one in the bathroom by the back door.

Tidbit #6

I have a couple of these power probes that I use daily at the shop on moderns. I also use them regularly on my model A for checking power, grounds and continuity. It has an led screen which shows actual voltage and a pair of headlights to light up the work area. The led readout is not affected by the ignition system of the Model A like some other digital meters are. It attaches to the power source (battery) with alligator clips or just clip it to the battery wire at the starter post and a head nut. I can touch the power probe anywhere on the frame, headlight buckets etc and it well tell you if your ground is good. This tool is very handy and easy to use for any hobbyist versus a test light or most functions of a multi meter. With a test light you can only go by bulb intensity vs the power probe which actually shows voltage. With my car running at high idle no accy's on and running a Tom W. evr my charging voltage is 6.7 on the screen but that fluctuates depending on the charging need. Testing voltage at the coil shows actual batt voltage and is easy to do. Checking to see if the points are operating i touch the probe to the red wire at the coil and with car running it alternates between power and ground. Whats easy about using this tool other than an exact voltage readout is it automatically switches when checking plus or minus but when using a regular test light you have to switch the leads manually. The power probe can feed voltage, ground or both with the flip of a switch to test any component. I can go on and on with other easy tests but i think i bored you guys enough. All in all its an easy to use do it all modern tool...
                Here i am powering a light bulb by supplying the power and ground through the power probe.....And yes that is our shop jump box that the probe is hooked to!!!!!

424FB040-84A0-46F7-A42E-5A338326084DL0001.jpgC656AD07-BCEA-414D-BF61-B4BDA873874DL0001.jpg924EF365-EBAF-4BA5-88C3-BB74F078E42AL0001.jpgA7B26862-F3B4-4F9A-8032-CA1E02DDE0A0L0001.jpgE4AF513D-2B95-484B-9D7A-E7714A46D0A0L0001.jpg
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• pAAt
                  pAAt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've seen them from $65 to 250+
                  Do you have one that's quality, and reasonably priced, that you would recommend ? Thanks, Pat

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pat
                  Get the power probe III,,

The one i am using is the IV which is for advanced diagnostics...

I wrote a LOOONG reply, something went "DING" & I LOST IT! S**T happens, I even had a ZIPPER malfunction, BEFORE Coffee, this morning!!--Now havin' a SECOND cup!
                Anyhow, I "thought" a JUMPER BOX wuz thet box of CRAP that's too HEAVY to move & EVERYBODY trips on it! (NO, I don't/cain't JUMP!)
                Dad Hoarder

Comment

Tidbit #7

I just got this chain wrench it's a blue point (snap-on) CW24A, which means it has a 24" handle. This thing is great for griping anything that you need to twist..Of course it can mar the surface
                  It's a good tool to have in your arsenal
                  3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
                    BILL WILLIAMSON commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It looks a lot like my EXHAUST PIPE Cutter.
                    KDad

Tidbit #8

If you do a lot of flaring this hydraulic tool makes it perfect 100% of the time.
                  It makes a 45 deg double flare, bubble flare, GM fuel line flare, and push connect flares.
                  3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tidbit #9

Here is one of the better tools i have in my box. This works by induction as nothing touches the part being heated. There are many jobs where you dont want to use a flame which can burn or damage other things close by. This can also be used for sweating copper water lines in tight areas where a flame should not be used such as near a floor or joist structure. So many times here in the shop i need to heat something without melting nearby items under the hood. The accy kit comes with different size coils as well as a straight one that can be manually wrapped around the piece being heated for a universal application. I attached a video i just made and a few pics...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WcOE7NlHMpU

3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• pAAt
                      pAAt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is one device you "should" read and heed the warnings on !!

• Bobm90
                      Bobm90 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks great for making Tea !

This is an add on to Tidbit #6
                    These wire piercing tools makes it easy to check a circuit without putting a test light point through your finger. The end goes right on to the power probe as shown ...

3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tool Tidbit #10

These are the good spark testers that I use
                      I purchased them from Amazon for 11.00 each and change
                      3 ~ Tudor's
                      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tool Tidbit #11

Cool Gel
                        A great product i use around the shop and at home. If your brazing, soldering, welding or heating anything, and you want to protect the surrounding areas from getting hot just spray this on it.

3 ~ Tudor's
                        Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tool TidBit #12

This is a great tool that every Model A owner needs, to efficiently and easily fish out your broken bendix parts from the fly wheel housing. It has a durable / bendable rod that is 24" long, with a cap on the end which prevents the sides from magnetizing to things when your fishing it down. The cap is held in place by the magnet and then pushes up once it bottoms out. For coming off the snap on truck 15.00 is real cheap.. This almost feels like your bending a piece of fat solder but it really holds the shape nicely.
                          3 ~ Tudor's
                          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tool Tidbit #13

I posted this snap on puller many times on various threads over the years, but here it is again in action pulling a rear drum. This tool is so versatile it can be used for trans, rear or axle bearings with the right add on adapters. I probably have close to a G-Wiz in this kit..
                            Don't leave home without it
                            3 ~ Tudor's
                            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                              BNCHIEF commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I have the same set up with various pullers and have used such many times

Tool Tidbit #14

I ran across this handy little device on Sporty's Tool Shop http://www.sportys.com/toolshop/grease-gun-holder.html
                            This takes care of the mess created by your grease gun when it drips, and they all do!
                            I bought 2 of them, one for my Lincoln Pneumatic gun and another for the manual pump gun. I have them mounted on pegboard, and I put some oil absorbent pads in the grease catcher cup. No more cleaning up messes. The last picture is the Lincoln gun that Mitch & I have. (Oh, and both guns are loaded with Tom's Red Mystic Grease.)
                            Last edited by CarlG; 11-11-2017, 02:31 PM.
                            Alaskan A's
                            Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                            Model A Ford Club of America
                            Model A Restorers Club
                            Antique Automobile Club of America
                            Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Tool Tidbit #15

These cone style wheel bearing packers do a nice job on pushing the grease into the bearing.
                              Repack your bearings the 21st century way

3 ~ Tudor's
                              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                                BNCHIEF commented
                                Editing a comment
                                What I use you can't beat the job they do and you can't do as good a job by hand. these also work on unsealed bearing as well

Tool Tidbit #16

Eventually you will need to replace the rear grease seals in the hubs. The suppliers sell this install tool to easily drive the seal in. The trick is to just install the seal to where it just clears the snap ring groove. This tool has a recess so it positions it correctly and easily. Put this in your Model A tool drawer as it's much better than using a block of wood or a large socket...

3 ~ Tudor's
                              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• CarlG
                                CarlG commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Why didn't I see this earlier !!!!!! Just ordered one from Brattons.

Tool Tidbit #17

Need a strap wrench but don’t have one?
                              use an old fanbelt and a pry bar. Wrap the fan belt around the object to be turned, stick the pry bar through an open spot and twist it like a tourniquet.... Has saved me more than once!
                              Regards - Randy
                              Randy's Rod Shop
                              1933 Ford Tudor "Bugsy"

Comment

Tool Tidbit #18

This ratcheting tubing cutter is great for tight spots or just general work.

3 ~ Tudor's
                                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment