Building an Outdoor Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an Outdoor Workshop

This started when I decided to make an enclosure for my welder and air compressor. Then my neighbor put his solvent tank and stand and his stand for his milling machine out to the curb for free. After I cleaned, sanded and painted the tank and stands, I decided I should enclose them for added storage. So I bought some plywood off Craigslist to use. I painted all sides and edges of the wood, then covered all sides with tar paper and vinyl siding, and added a lock to each.

I had been using a wood stick to hold the top open on the air compressor enclosure, until I could decide if I wanted to use struts or electric lifts. I bought a pair of 18" 12 volt electric lifts, then yesterday I added a remote control to operate them. Since they push and pull I won't have to add a separate lock to keep the tools secure. I added a peg board to part of the back wall to hang some basic tools, but still have a few more to hang. I still need to make slanted tops for the work bench and parts cleaner, and I'll also make a cover for the table saw on the far end.

Minnesota isn't known for it's great weather, but I do most of my work outside, since my garage is so small, and the addition of these will sure help.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

More excellent craftsmanship Tom, but it does lead me to wonder why you haven't just attached to the side of the house or garage, a work shed? Seems to me that you have almost consumed enough material to make a decent size shed or even a carport type lean to.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I should have built another garage in the back yard many years ago, but the way the neighborhood is going, I might be better off moving to the country.

Comment

Hey Tom that's a nice little tool storage area that you built, you sure do nice work. Do you need to add any weatherstripping to keep the moisture out?
        We use those flexzilla hoses in the shop, they are real good and durable. The only issue is the threaded ends break once in a while so i keep replacement ends in stock

here is a pic of the hose repair kit

67C8F89D-227D-428D-8D21-5549D34BCFCEL0001.jpg
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
          Tom Wesenberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the front door lined with felt weather strip, but the top has enough overhang so the rain and snow should stay out.
          In the center of the tools I have 3 C-clamps, and the center one is solid bronze. It must be made for mines or around explosive materials.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
        Proof of the BIG Bang Theory or Air Compressor Explosion
        by Tom Wesenberg
        If you don't drain your tank, there will be a BIG BANG.
        I posted this several years ago on another site, but there are several new members here. I was in my basement working on the computor when I heard and felt an explosion. I went outside to see what happened, and found my neighbor standing in his driveway looking like he was in a state of shock. He was using his air compressor to blow the...
        This gallery has 5 photos.
        06-10-2017, 01:06 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        A Doghouse to Store Model A Engines
        by Tom Wesenberg
        I just finished this today. My garage is small and full, and I needed someplace to store my Delco Light Plant and a Model A engine. If I remove the Delco, I think it has enough room for 3 Model A engines. Storing parts under those cheap plastic sheets just doesn't cut it. This is so tight it's even mouse proof, but I may put some mothballs in to keep insects out.

I don't think any community...
        This gallery has 6 photos.
        05-16-2017, 03:39 AM
      • Paul
        “A” Pole Barn Wish List
        by Paul
        Indiana weather has been so cold this winter. I told the wife, “It's time to find a warmer climate, with no salt.” She said, “We don't need to move, you just need a heated pole barn.” She knows me well!

With that said, to pass the time till spring, I thought I would make a wish list of the things I would want in a barn.

Wants:

Vintage Appearance...
        03-07-2019, 06:34 PM
      • Mickey
        Garage question
        by Mickey
        I have a large air tank in my garage and noticed water dripping around the bottom (condensation ). When I took a closer look I noticed a sticker that said to drain it daily. I didn't know that. After all real men don' t read the instructions. Realistically how often should one be drained. Letting all the air out and draining water after every days use seems a bit overkill. I realize that you...
        01-24-2019, 10:11 AM
      • Jim Baskin III
        Finally heat in garage
        by Jim Baskin III
        The old coal stoker finally gave out. Decided to buy another QuadraFire wood pellet stove. I have one in our family room downstairs in the house and has worked perfectly for 4yrs now. Nice warm garage for Bella PIA -30 Tudor and Mr.Peabody-30 pickup

Could not be happier....
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        12-01-2019, 09:34 AM
      • Roadster Rich
        Some Days it doesn't pay to get out of Bed!
        by Roadster Rich
        I started another post about losing the keys to the popout ignition on the Town Sedan that I am about to start up. So I contacted Dick Crabtree and finally sent mine to have him rebuild as necessary. He called and is sending it back this week. Well this morning I was looking for a simple washer and dumped a small plastic bin of parts on my tool bench and there was the key!!! Someone on this site...
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        07-04-2017, 01:45 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Curbside Alert Free Solvent Tank
        by Tom Wesenberg
        I've had good luck with free neighbor's curbside stuff lately. A couple months ago I got the free like new air compressor because the belt slipped off the pulley. Yesterday my other neighbor set out a free heavy duty solvent tank and very heavy duty work table. I don't know what was mounted on the work table, but it weighs about 200 pounds with 3/4" steel plate on the bottom, and it was all I...
        07-05-2017, 10:59 AM
      • Hoogah
        Model A farming plant - is there anything like this?
        by Hoogah
        Over the past couple of weeks, I've been involved in preparations for a clearing sale on a farm that belonged to two bachelor brothers. The last of the brothers passed away about 18 months ago. Both were well into their 80s when they died. What is unique about these blokes is that they farmed in some kind of time warp for almost all of their lives.
        • Their daily transport ("going to town"
        This gallery has 10 photos.
        01-19-2019, 05:55 AM
      • Dennis
        Differential tools
        by Dennis
        I spent the afternoon finishing up my differential tools. I gathered up some pieces from my scrap pile and tool box drawers, a few pieces I bought at Home Depot. I have a miniature lathe that I've used a lot over the years to turn out small pieces for special purpose tools. It came in real handy this time. I wanted to have the ability to check bearing preload and ring to pinion backlash, so there...
        This gallery has 9 photos.
        01-05-2018, 02:11 AM
      • JohnB15632
        Time between Priming and final coat
        by JohnB15632
        I am finally finished with stripping my A and all of its parts. I am getting ready to prime coat the A and all of its parts.
        I found out today that the paint I am applying for the prime can be applied at 60 degrees F. The top coat can not be applied until the temperatures get above 75 degree F.

Question. If I get a couple of 60 deg days, I can prime. However, how long can the A...
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        03-21-2019, 10:29 AM
      Working...
      X