Gas Tank Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Rust

My 1963 Cub Cadet was getting junk in the carb, so a couple years ago I removed the one gallon gas tank, and cleaned it by using a handful of flathead wood screws and a cup of gas. I shook it up for about 10 minutes, and this is what came out. It looked pretty good before I started, and would have never guessed it had this much rust.

Fuel Junk.JPG

Related Topics

Collapse

• CSPIDY
    Gas Tank Rust Removal
    by CSPIDY
    Finally got around to addressing the rust in the gas tank of my 28 Tudor.
    the plan is to remove it, fill it with 10 gallons of Evaporust, clean with Por-15 cleaner degreaser, then prep with the Por-15 metal prep, followed with Por-15 paint coating.
    what are your thoughts? I have heard good reports on the Por-15 paint but have some reservations using an internal coating.
    any advise...
    01-18-2019, 12:52 PM
  • Jwmckenzie
    Removing gas "Varnish" from gas tank
    by Jwmckenzie
    Working on cleaning my gas tank. Used Rust911 on the tank and for the most part it is very clean. I have some areas in the bottom of the thank that Rust911 will not remove. I am thinking it is dried up gas, "varnish" in the bottom of the tank.

Have tried soaking with Lacquer Thinner for a couple of hours without much improvement. Any suggestions for getting it out?
    01-13-2019, 12:22 PM
  • old victoria
    rust 911 update
    by old victoria
    Monday filled the tank 1/2 full of water than added rust 911 filled the tank to the top with water put on the cap and shook the car today drained the tank NO RUST LEFT! Also spilled some on the paint no harm done. great stuff
    12-18-2018, 04:14 PM
  • copgib
    Gas Tank
    by copgib
    For anyone who has changed out the gas tank in a Model A Coupe, how difficult was it? I am considering it but haven't decided for sure yet. I plan to change it out because the neck where the gas cap attaches to on mine is crushed. Don't know how this happened but it was like that when I got the car. Gas cap will fit but held on by maybe one thread. Hugh
    12-07-2018, 01:32 PM
  • old victoria
    rust 911
    by old victoria
    got a gallon of rust 911 mixed up a batch. dropped in a very rusty model a carb 6 hours later not a spot of rust. the stuff WORKS!
    12-15-2018, 06:15 PM
  • BillLee/Chandler, TX
    After you get it clean .....
    by BillLee/Chandler, TX
    I am getting ready to replace a leaking gas tank in my Tudor, I have a very good one coming from Berts, but ..... I'm not totally sure what I should do now.

I have read Brent's thread over on the old barn regarding getting a tank clean, by cutting apart and then re-welding. But what do you do AFTER you get it clean? What do you do to keep it from turning back into a rusty tank?
    02-04-2018, 11:54 AM
  • Leo
    What Success Has or Did Redi-Strip Have with Gas Tanks?
    by Leo
    I know this is kind of an odd way to start a post. Back about 30 years ago when I began the restoration of my 1930 coupe there was a Redi-Strip near Allentown PA. I had them do several of my parts including the gas tank. The gas tank was installed in the car without any further work done to it except a good slosh with gasoline. Moving forward to now, I'm running with a pencil type filter on the...
    03-19-2018, 07:44 AM
  • Beauford
    Gas tank blues...
    by Beauford
    So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due...
    07-18-2017, 05:44 PM
  • P. Crosby
    Gas Tank Face Finish
    by P. Crosby
    On a 31 Standard Tudor is the face of the gas tank, the inside visible portion, glossy or satiny?
    04-09-2018, 08:41 PM
  • Mickey
    Pulled my gas tank today (pictures)
    by Mickey
    Finally a good day pulling things apart. The tank is clean and looks like it my have been treated sometime in the last 20 years. The only thing I found inside was a single edge razor blade. I also am rebuilding my gas guage. It stopped working. I thought you might interested in seeing how the cork float was working. It is shown in a small jar of gasoline. Add the weight of the wire and it wouldn't...
    03-14-2019, 06:35 PM
Working...
X