Nothing Like a Basic Flathead Engine with Points for Dependability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing Like a Basic Flathead Engine with Points for Dependability

Crazy Minnesota weather has rained 9 of the past 10 days and we are running 20 to 30 degrees below normal, and now my 1999 Olds won't start. It cranks over fine, but not one pop from the engine. Today the roads were finally dry, so I could drive my 1950 Studebaker to a few stores to get caught up. My Olds did the same thing a couple years ago during the cold fall rains. That time I spent 6 weeks testing and swapping out parts. In the end I wound up with all the original parts back in the car, and it finally started, so I never did find out the real cause for not starting.

A year or two before that I had trouble with the power windows and radio not working at times, then one day the engine died on my way to the hospital. With Mitch's advice I pulled up the carpet by the driver's door and found the bulk ground connection had just the slightest hint of corrosion. I cleaned and coated the terminals, and everything was fine. Temps in the 20's tonight, so if it warms up a little tomorrow, I can check the ground connection again.

During that 6 week down period I replaced my mass air flow sensor with a new one on ebay. I drove to AutoZone and had the engine scanned. After the scan, the engine wouldn't start. The guy from behind the counter unplugged my new MAF sensor, and I was able to drive home. I thought these systems were able to go into limp mode when they failed, so you could drive home, but I found out the MAF can keep the engine from running.

Check for spark at the plugs, noid and fuel pressure first
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tom , you don't need a scan tool on those older GM cars, just put a paper clip between A and B terminal on ALDL connector under dash with key off, turn key on and count Check Engine light flashing sequence , very informative for diagnosing problems . hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by canadian View Post
        Tom , you don't need a scan tool on those older GM cars, just put a paper clip between A and B terminal on ALDL connector under dash with key off, turn key on and count Check Engine light flashing sequence , very informative for diagnosing problems . hope this helps.
        You can't do that on OBD vehicles (96 and up) a scan tool must be used.
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• canadian
          canadian commented
          Editing a comment
          my mistake, misread thought I read 89 olds .. OBD 1. Sorry my bad.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Terry, NJ
        New Engine Stuck!
        by Terry, NJ
        Well I've been preoccupied with my coupe (Redwheels) and I'd better get back to work on my Town sedan. So I haven't started it in a while and I was getting anxious about that fact. I had tried a while...
        11-10-2018, 11:45 PM
      • Ray Horton
        I need serious experienced help with an engine problem
        by Ray Horton
        This engine, with only 4000 miles on it since rebuild, has always overheated and locked up when shut down after overheating, which is usually when driven at 45 or less for 30 minutes or more. (This did...
        07-01-2017, 01:12 AM
      • Chuck Sea/Tac
        Old wives tale or fact?
        by Chuck Sea/Tac
        my friend was told to not push your car over 50 mph when it’s really hot out.? The only reason I can think of is being worried of a poor cooling system.?
        the other one was don’t drive at the...
        08-21-2018, 12:19 AM
      • Apple Green Wheels Rule
        Car died at a sudden stop?
        by Apple Green Wheels Rule
        Why would the engine die at a sudden abrupt stop? It did start back up but, after that happening, it seemed the idle was way too low and a few miles later, it cut out a couple of times and it died again...
        09-23-2018, 07:07 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Long Term Storage or a New to Me Model A
        by Tom Wesenberg
        This is what I would do if you just got a Model A, or want to start one after many years of storage.

If you have liquid gas in the tank, then I would drain it out and put in fresh...
        07-15-2017, 12:16 AM
      • copgib
        I learned something new today
        by copgib
        Most of you know the story of my 1930 Model A. It was a barn find that had a siezed up engine. The seller which was my brothers church friend sold it to me and when he heard the engine was siezed, he...
        07-29-2018, 07:00 PM
      • old31
        New engine break in procedure recommendations
        by old31
        What do you recommend for a break in procedure on a newly built babbited engine with a 6.0 head, larger intakes and B grind cam.

Keep it under 40 for the first 500 miles, or just go out and...
        04-05-2018, 07:14 PM
      • Roadster Rich
        A good day for the Model A
        by Roadster Rich
        After my post of the problems of yesterday, I finally turned on the key and cranked the engine rebuild. To my delight it started on about the first revolution. With the advance all the way up and the...
        07-05-2017, 06:48 PM
      • Jeff/Illinois
        Fuel additive cleaners for your gasoline engine
        by Jeff/Illinois
        This would apply to the Model A Fords just as as well as the new cars. It is a new 'take' on SeaFoam, SeaFoam was designed for two stroke engines according to Scotty Kilmer. Makes sense why it doesn't...
        05-12-2018, 03:38 PM
      • Curly
        Engine pans, yes or no?
        by Curly
        I haven’t been running engine pans. I got a set recently thinking I wanted to add them. After dry fitting them I’m wondering if I even want them on.
        Advantages—
        1. Keep engine cleaner....
        12-12-2017, 12:11 AM
      Working...
      X