Nothing Like a Basic Flathead Engine with Points for Dependability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing Like a Basic Flathead Engine with Points for Dependability

Crazy Minnesota weather has rained 9 of the past 10 days and we are running 20 to 30 degrees below normal, and now my 1999 Olds won't start. It cranks over fine, but not one pop from the engine. Today the roads were finally dry, so I could drive my 1950 Studebaker to a few stores to get caught up. My Olds did the same thing a couple years ago during the cold fall rains. That time I spent 6 weeks testing and swapping out parts. In the end I wound up with all the original parts back in the car, and it finally started, so I never did find out the real cause for not starting.

A year or two before that I had trouble with the power windows and radio not working at times, then one day the engine died on my way to the hospital. With Mitch's advice I pulled up the carpet by the driver's door and found the bulk ground connection had just the slightest hint of corrosion. I cleaned and coated the terminals, and everything was fine. Temps in the 20's tonight, so if it warms up a little tomorrow, I can check the ground connection again.

During that 6 week down period I replaced my mass air flow sensor with a new one on ebay. I drove to AutoZone and had the engine scanned. After the scan, the engine wouldn't start. The guy from behind the counter unplugged my new MAF sensor, and I was able to drive home. I thought these systems were able to go into limp mode when they failed, so you could drive home, but I found out the MAF can keep the engine from running.

Check for spark at the plugs, noid and fuel pressure first
    2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tom , you don't need a scan tool on those older GM cars, just put a paper clip between A and B terminal on ALDL connector under dash with key off, turn key on and count Check Engine light flashing sequence , very informative for diagnosing problems . hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by canadian View Post
        Tom , you don't need a scan tool on those older GM cars, just put a paper clip between A and B terminal on ALDL connector under dash with key off, turn key on and count Check Engine light flashing sequence , very informative for diagnosing problems . hope this helps.
        You can't do that on OBD vehicles (96 and up) a scan tool must be used.
        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• canadian
          canadian commented
          Editing a comment
          my mistake, misread thought I read 89 olds .. OBD 1. Sorry my bad.