Small Parts Painting and Drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Parts Painting and Drying

Have you ever been painting small parts and wished it didn't take so long to dry before you could assemble them? Years ago I started doing this at home on the backyard grille. I usually use either high temp or engine paint that is labeled gas resistant. We all know that's hardly true about gas resistant, but it helps. I turn one burner on the lowest setting, mine is a small two burner grille beings I am by myself and rarely have anybody show up for a meal. I usually give it a couple hours let it cool to room temp and check the paint hardness with the finger nail test. If it feels a little soft yet, I give it another couple hours. Saves me from having to wait a day or more.
    Attached Files

Wet Paint Signs work well for people to test if the paint is still wet LOL
    Yes dried paint using an oven, heat gun, propane torch, and for free old man Sun! But it's still hard to keep finger prints out of fresh paint, your finger nail trick sounds better! Thanks for your tip!

Comment

If a part needs to be heated, I prefer to use my Milwaukee heat gun, rather than a propane torch. Fire puts out water vapor, which can make bare metal rust, and I'd think the water vapor could do bad things to paint. That said, I have built a small gallows to hang parts over my natural gas stove, so I can turn the burner on very low and have the part about 6 to 8 inches above the burner. This will dry the paint in a couple hours, rather than waiting at least a day.

Comment

The "HEAT PLATE" cycle, on the dishwasher works, IF you live ALONE!!---If not, you WILL be ALONE soon!
        Bill Loneranger

Comment

Great idea! I have small parts on this RPU that are black and no sense of busting out the HVLP so I use rattle primer and paint. I hate waiting on dry time...I have four grills so I shall dedicate one!!

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
            BILL WILLIAMSON commented
            Editing a comment
            FOUR GRILLES!!!!---You could do a COOKIN' SHOW!!!
            Why are we in such a hurry to dry paints??? Just give it time so the paints can do what they're SUPPOSED/DESIGNED to do!!!
            Dad Plentyoftime

• Beauford
            Beauford commented
            Editing a comment
            I use to cater. I have one grill with 8 burners. Tow behind hog smoker, 2 Webers, 1 Sterling Forge, 1 CookShack, camping grills......I like to cook!

Beauford,
          Fire up thet Hog Smoker & tow all them grills together & it'd look like a COOKIN' TRAIN---Maybe you could get on TV!
          Bro Bill W.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• BillLee/Chandler, TX
            Too much catalyst
            by BillLee/Chandler, TX
            What happens if you use too much catalyst when preparing some urethane paint? How does the paint react? How does it spray? Flow out?
            09-19-2018, 12:45 PM
          • tbirdtbird
            Painting tip
            by tbirdtbird
            What is pictured are not Model A fenders. No matter, the principle is the same.
            I am referring to painting the inside of deep-drawn fenders such as the A rear fenders.
            Such a task is a challenge.
            Once all the metal work is complete, we can attack the plastic work needed and shoot the insides.

First, because of the concavity, the paint wants to pepper back at you. You...
            01-10-2018, 09:53 PM
          • BillLee/Chandler, TX
            Who does their own ....
            by BillLee/Chandler, TX
            As some may recall, I brought a '29 gas tank to Brent's party back in April. It is now being painted.

I say "being" since I simply don't trust my own abilities to lay down a decent finish coat of paint. So I took it to a local paint and body shop for them to spray for me. Yes, I know I need to develop my own skills, but since I am not restoring a car (don't have something to...
            09-08-2018, 07:13 AM
          • tbirdtbird
            More on prep for painting using phosphoric acid such as Ospho with pic
            by tbirdtbird
            I am forever promoting using this prep for freshly blasted metal or otherwise cleaned.
            This is a hood from the M5 I am working on. Like all the other sheet metal, it was water blasted a year ago. The water blasters put in a special chemical to stop it from flash rusting, but that stuff only lasts a day or two.

Few people are prepared to prime their sheet metal immediately, esp since...
            02-19-2018, 09:56 PM
          • carolinamudwalker
            New Paint
            by carolinamudwalker
            When I was young I bought a new white p/u truck. An older gentleman told me to get a cement block & throw it as hard as I could in the bed of the truck. What does this have to do with a model A? Well I just installed my newly painted front fenders very carefully wearing new cotton gloves. When finished I tripped over the creeper that was stored vertically against the wall. Yep, it gouged that...
            04-07-2018, 07:44 AM
          • Tom Wesenberg
            Sandpaper, Pay More to Save More, 3C vs. 3M
            by Tom Wesenberg
            The A frame I built for lifting engines about 15 years ago never had a decent paint job, so I've been sanding the old paint and rust to give it a good paint job. A couple months ago I rode to H/F with my neighbor and had to buy something cheap to get my free flashlight. I got a pack of 3C (Cheap China Crap) sandpaper. It only works for a few seconds, then it kind of polishes the rust and paint. It...
            06-02-2017, 11:57 AM
          • Leo
            Not Model A Related But Still "SAFE"
            by Leo
            This is not regarding Model A's but it may help somebody trying to remove one layer of brushed on paint from a car body. Sad story, my Dad had a floor safe in his business which was about 3 feet by 3 feet high, steel walls with concrete in between, very heavy. It had the name of the local bank in gold leaf on the door, probably who owned it originally. It was not pristine, it was rough and used,...
            02-23-2018, 08:18 AM
          • cpf240
            Seeking Advice: Paint and Rust Issues
            by cpf240
            My father bought this '29 Special Coupe back in '78. It was in typical barn find condition. At that time, a restoration was started, but never finished. From '80 or so onward, it sat in two different garages, one in Santa Monica, and then sat outside under a tarp in Costa Mesa for several years. So, it has had some salt air exposure.

My father didn't do the work himself, but my grandfather...
            09-14-2018, 08:46 PM
          • Paul
            Under Fender Care
            by Paul
            The season of salt is coming up. Before putting your A's away (I assume everyone has two), how do groom with stuck on tar, sand and the accasional paint chip under the fenders?

I wash with soap and water then wipe down with karasen. The rag instantly becomes gritty and it feels like I am scratching the hell out of it. Next I use soap and water let it dry, touch up spots with Rust-Oleum...
            10-14-2018, 05:38 AM
          • BNCHIEF
            Nicks, scratches and chips How do you repair them?
            by BNCHIEF
            Just what it says in the title but how on enamel, how on base coat clear coat? I could always use some ideas here on this topic.
            09-05-2017, 06:14 AM
          Working...
          X