Snake Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Oil

Remember those products over the years that promised to be a protector or cure all. Most likely many of us fell for some of this stuff and tried it.
    I always had those deer whistlers on my vehicles until i hit a deer :
    i never went for the slick 50 or the tornado fuel mileage increaser

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...ng-ftc-charges

What products do you folks remember?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

I don't remember the name but was an additive for motor oil. After they installed it in a running motor, they cut the cooling hose off, then they drained the oil, removed the vavle cover, poured dirt on the vavle train.
    No I didn't ! But sure was fun watching :-)

Comment

• Rowdy
      Rowdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Think that was Z-Max. Seen it live in a park in Cheyene while in tech school in 1992. Rod

I saw a guy demonstrating how his oil additive helped prevent wear. He had a rig that pushed a steel bearing roller into a rotating disc on an electric motor. The bearing turned blue from the friction, but after his additive it stayed bright and didn't slow down the motor. I asked him if he would try it with the oil I use, but he said he wasn't there to test other people's products. Hmmm!

Comment

When I was 17 I went to an auto show and got suckered into buying the magic spark intensifier that smoothed out a V8 and gave it more horsepower. After trying it on my 55 Chevy and finding no improvement, I took it apart, and all it did was jump a 1/16" gap inside the black plastic part that fit into the center terminal on the distributor cap.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey you had a hotter spark as advertised. Lol

• Big hammer
        Big hammer commented
        Editing a comment
        Honda 120cc engines have a resistor in the spark plug wire, if it was missing in quarter midget racing, that would get you DQ'd
        I learned alot about how not to cheat when I was a tech inspector or how others cheated

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, was that redish brown and looked like a bullet?

After Market sales.....Poly-Gly-Coat, once in a life time car wax and Rusty Jones rust proofing....No one left the Dealership without one or the other, or both!

Comment

Answer to 4.3 dawizard I think so, it is in the plug terminal end! Removed and a hotter spark

Comment

Chief labeled MOST penetrating oils as "PANTHER PISS"!
          Remember "RING-IN? "Rebuilds" old worn out engines!
          Remember "POWDER PUFF PAINT"?---Even "fools" Judges---LOL
          Do SNAKES really contain OILS? Once cut a Lizards' head off with a CHAINSAW, "thought" it wuz a SNAKE, comin' out of the brush!!!
          KDad Oooooooooldandscary

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 1930 Closed Cab PU
            Commercial Motor Flush
            by 1930 Closed Cab PU
            Spent a few moments on VFF looking for this subject - no luck Perhaps not using the correct search terms.

I would not ever use a commercial or home brew motor oil flush. But would like to know more.

With the A having a dipper tray some will be left in the motor, most likely not good for the bearings - I understand this.

What other bad things can happen?...
            03-29-2019, 09:04 AM
          • BNCHIEF
            Oil and the changes manufacturers are doing per the epa.
            by BNCHIEF
            This is not to say anything bad about any oil or brand just some info to consider.http://www.restore-an-old-car.com/be...ssic-cars.html They are taking all the zddp out of the oil we run. Right now I have delo 400LE, being discontinued, I also have shell rotella T-4 both are 15/40 these still have the zddp in the higher concentration. You can also buy zddp https://www.thoughtco.com/...
            09-07-2017, 06:41 AM
          • Jeff/Illinois
            Kendall GT-1 Competition Motor Oils
            by Jeff/Illinois
            First off, I sincerely apologize to all for mentioning the dead horse motor oil debate or bringing it up. This is just for your own I&E.

I bought a case of this motor oil at Farm King last week for use in our '69 Mach 1 with a flat tappet cam and 11.0: 1 compression, for $4.29/quart, for an engine that NEEDS ZDDP. It is overkill for a Model A Ford. But if you are of the mindset that...
            03-03-2020, 10:48 AM
          • BNCHIEF
            Synthetic Oil Information and the changes manufacturers are doing per the EPA
            by BNCHIEF
            This is not to say anything bad about any oil or brand just some info to consider.http://www.restore-an-old-car.com/be...ssic-cars.html They are taking all the zddp out of the oil we run. Right now I have delo 400LE, being discontinued, I also have shell rotella T-4 both are 15/40 these still have the zddp in the higher concentration. You can also buy zddp https://www.thoughtco.com/debunking-...-...
            09-07-2017, 06:41 AM
          • Big hammer
            New oil container
            by Big hammer
            Bought oil from Walmart, picked up the wrong weight, took it back to get the right weight. No problem but the young lady said the cap is leaking, she opened it and what was inside was OLD DRAIN OIL !
            They made it right but I felt like a heel/crook
            So after paying for oil, in fronf of the clerk, I'm going to open the container and check for new clean oil this point forward!
            09-18-2017, 08:46 PM
          • EJR8402
            Type of Oil - Zinc additives - brands?
            by EJR8402
            I need to do an oil change on my '59 T-Bird with the 352 V8. I've done some research about the type of oil needed and it seems that these old flat tappet cammed engines should probably have oil with zinc additives.

The prior owner of the car just recommended plain old motor oil, 10W-30. I'm sure that's fine if it's barely driven, but I do want to get it out a bit.

So what...
            05-22-2021, 01:53 PM
          • tbirdtbird
            Oil change interval observations and comments
            by tbirdtbird
            This applies to both Model As and moderns.
            I think most everyone on this forum would not let their oil go past 3000 miles on their A before changing, at least I hope so. Sooner if the car only gets short runs.
            There are numerous additives, anti-wear and such, that do get depleted.

As far as moderns, there is a trend to extend the interval out to 7500 and beyond.
            It is...
            04-01-2019, 09:35 PM
          • canadian
            oil return.
            by canadian
            29 all stock engine, pulls dipstick cold engine ,oil level on F mark. engine running for 20 minutes while farting around with stuff. pull dipstick engine off ..oil level 1/4 inch on stick ... 1 hour later ... oil level 1/2 inch on stick . it took 2 hours for oil to return to F. I found out why just by coincidence , the oil return pipe was not hot to touch and I discovered that the lower cork gasket...
            04-16-2019, 10:41 AM
          • Gary D
            Shell Rotella 15w40 T6 motor oil
            by Gary D
            Thoughts on Shell Rotella 15w40 T6 motor oil for good running Model A engine?
            03-08-2021, 07:30 AM
          • Atlasboy
            Which Engine Oil to use
            by Atlasboy
            I have a 1931 Model A with an original engine, never out of the frame or rebuilt. What type and weight oil would be the best for this Car ?
            11-28-2018, 09:30 AM
          Working...
          X