Snake Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Oil

Remember those products over the years that promised to be a protector or cure all. Most likely many of us fell for some of this stuff and tried it.
    I always had those deer whistlers on my vehicles until i hit a deer :
    i never went for the slick 50 or the tornado fuel mileage increaser

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...ng-ftc-charges

What products do you folks remember?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

I don't remember the name but was an additive for motor oil. After they installed it in a running motor, they cut the cooling hose off, then they drained the oil, removed the vavle cover, poured dirt on the vavle train.
    No I didn't ! But sure was fun watching :-)

Comment

• Rowdy
      Rowdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Think that was Z-Max. Seen it live in a park in Cheyene while in tech school in 1992. Rod

I saw a guy demonstrating how his oil additive helped prevent wear. He had a rig that pushed a steel bearing roller into a rotating disc on an electric motor. The bearing turned blue from the friction, but after his additive it stayed bright and didn't slow down the motor. I asked him if he would try it with the oil I use, but he said he wasn't there to test other people's products. Hmmm!

Comment

When I was 17 I went to an auto show and got suckered into buying the magic spark intensifier that smoothed out a V8 and gave it more horsepower. After trying it on my 55 Chevy and finding no improvement, I took it apart, and all it did was jump a 1/16" gap inside the black plastic part that fit into the center terminal on the distributor cap.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey you had a hotter spark as advertised. Lol

• Big hammer
        Big hammer commented
        Editing a comment
        Honda 120cc engines have a resistor in the spark plug wire, if it was missing in quarter midget racing, that would get you DQ'd
        I learned alot about how not to cheat when I was a tech inspector or how others cheated

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, was that redish brown and looked like a bullet?

After Market sales.....Poly-Gly-Coat, once in a life time car wax and Rusty Jones rust proofing....No one left the Dealership without one or the other, or both!

Comment

Answer to 4.3 dawizard I think so, it is in the plug terminal end! Removed and a hotter spark

Comment

Chief labeled MOST penetrating oils as "PANTHER PISS"!
          Remember "RING-IN? "Rebuilds" old worn out engines!
          Remember "POWDER PUFF PAINT"?---Even "fools" Judges---LOL
          Do SNAKES really contain OILS? Once cut a Lizards' head off with a CHAINSAW, "thought" it wuz a SNAKE, comin' out of the brush!!!
          KDad Oooooooooldandscary

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• BNCHIEF
            Oil and the changes manufacturers are doing per the epa.
            by BNCHIEF
            This is not to say anything bad about any oil or brand just some info to consider.http://www.restore-an-old-car.com/be...ssic-cars.html They are taking all the zddp out of the oil we run. Right now I have delo 400LE, being discontinued, I also have shell rotella T-4 both are 15/40 these still have the zddp in the higher concentration. You can also buy zddp https://www.thoughtco.com/...
            09-07-2017, 06:41 AM
          • BNCHIEF
            Synthetic Oil Information and the changes manufacturers are doing per the EPA
            by BNCHIEF
            This is not to say anything bad about any oil or brand just some info to consider.http://www.restore-an-old-car.com/be...ssic-cars.html They are taking all the zddp out of the oil we run. Right now I have delo 400LE, being discontinued, I also have shell rotella T-4 both are 15/40 these still have the zddp in the higher concentration. You can also buy zddp https://www.thoughtco.com/debunking-...-...
            09-07-2017, 06:41 AM
          • Big hammer
            New oil container
            by Big hammer
            Bought oil from Walmart, picked up the wrong weight, took it back to get the right weight. No problem but the young lady said the cap is leaking, she opened it and what was inside was OLD DRAIN OIL !
            They made it right but I felt like a heel/crook
            So after paying for oil, in fronf of the clerk, I'm going to open the container and check for new clean oil this point forward!
            09-18-2017, 08:46 PM
          • Standing Elk
            Not the normal oil question
            by Standing Elk
            Let's see if I can remember enough of what I was told to ask this question. Apparently the EPA mandated the removal or maybe the addition of some component to motor oil?? I was told that the new formula now carries an additional code and that it should NOT be used in our motors. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks
            03-03-2018, 10:16 AM
          • Mitch
            Starting a car from long term storage
            by Mitch
            I'll start by saying do not attempt to run the motor on the fuel supply from the tank. Pumping debris or old crap gas into the carburetor is never a good thing. This can cause your valves and rings to stick. It will also mess up a good working carburetor.
            Hang an auxiliary fuel supply with fresh gas gravity fed directly to the carburetor....
            04-10-2018, 08:37 AM
          • Chuck Sea/Tac
            Main bearing oil feeds
            by Chuck Sea/Tac
            Readjusting valves on newly built engine. Noticed when I pulled valve cover off, oil went everywhere. The center valley was full, but not the ends. When I put oil down the end main feeders it drains, but the center main does not. I know the feeders were flushed. Which is normal? about a half hr run time over several starts in a stand. I thought I had a tappit noise, but now thinking it’s the center...
            02-08-2018, 02:51 PM
          • KB9JLO
            Starting an older engine - oil in the dipper tray...
            by KB9JLO
            As a few of you know - I have a 1930 Town Sedan, Murphy Body (March 1930). And she's a little rough. My wife has already named her Millie. The engine hasn't run in some time and I want to attempt to get it started and see what all is wrong and needs to be fixed in the drivetrain. If I don't have to I don't want to drop the oil pan or remove the valve cover to see if I can get this started. The engine...
            10-01-2018, 11:28 AM
          • merjohn
            Engine assembly lube
            by merjohn
            I know this is like asking what oil is best but what brand do you guys, that do this for a living, use?
            09-30-2018, 04:16 PM
          • Leo
            Diesel Oil and The Model A Ford???
            by Leo
            There is a lot of "noise" going on at that ***** **** regarding using diesel oil like Shell Rotella 15-40W in the Model A Ford engine. Many swear by it and others cite articles which have appeared in posts and on club sites which advise against it. However, I've yet to see a scintilla of evidence by any owners that claim an engine has actually been damaged through the use of diesel oil....
            03-26-2018, 02:29 PM
          • Tom Hicks
            Model T's don't have oil pumps.
            by Tom Hicks
            The Model T does not have an oil pump. The engine and transmission share an oil pan, they are both bathed in the same oil. That oil is picked up by dippers under the connecting rods and slung around the engine. The magneto is attached to the flywheel and the bottom of it spins through the sump throwing oil everywhere. Ford had a funnel and tube system to catch some of that oil slung by the magneto...
            09-24-2018, 08:38 AM
          Working...
          X