See less

Model T Head Bolt Tightening Sequence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model T Head Bolt Tightening Sequence.

I made this illustration based on Murray Fahnestocks recommended pattern in the Model T Ford Owner. The original in the book is small an not very useful while actually doing the job.
    This can be printed out on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet and used while torquing down the head bolts. Recommended max torque is 55 ft. lbs.

sequence.jpg

Related Topics

Collapse

• AzBob
    High compression head installed.
    by AzBob
    New Prus 8:1 aluminum high compression head installed. Can maintain 35 mph on hills I used to have to downshift into Ruckstell with. A noticeable improvement in performance all around. The aluminum head...
    03-25-2018, 12:55 PM
  • Jim Mason
    here's a bolt that eluded me for years
    by Jim Mason
    The parts book calls out square head bolt, square nut, cotterpin.

Yup, it's hex head bolt.......
    09-21-2017, 04:47 PM
  • tbirdtbird
    Torque tables
    by tbirdtbird
    From time to time a discussion of Henry not having torque specs arises.

At some later point, engineers derived torque values based on the diameter and grade of the bolts/nuts.
    While...
    10-25-2018, 10:28 PM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    B Head or is it a Model B Head?
    by Tom Wesenberg
    Sometimes people ask about a B head, but they aren't specific whether they mean the Model A high compression head with the "B" cast in it, or are they talking about the Model B engine head with...
    07-12-2017, 12:04 PM
  • 29er
    Head Stud Installation
    by 29er
    I was reviewing the various types of head studs and bolts and ran across a tool called an "angle torque gauge". Does this have any relevance to the Model "A"? Or is this tool used...
    06-12-2017, 01:22 PM
  • OTTAWAED
    Oil Pan Bolt Torque
    by OTTAWAED
    Les Andrews in his Model A Mechanics publication states that the bolts should be tourqued to 20 ft lbs. In the Brattons Parts Catalogue it states 5 or 6 ft lbs. Any thoughts?
    07-21-2018, 05:36 PM
  • 2manycars
    Stuck head
    by 2manycars
    A few years ago, someone gave me a truck load of model A engines that had been poorly stored. I saved 2 of them, but the rest were so rusted that I could only save a few parts from them.
    My brother...
    05-31-2018, 07:15 AM
  • plyfor
    Brumfield 5.9 head
    by plyfor
    A couple of questions:
    Should the head be torqued to 60 '#, not 55 ?
    Also, points set at what gap for best performance ?
    12-30-2017, 08:55 PM
  • tbirdtbird
    Re-Torque head hot or cold.... more info
    by tbirdtbird
    Tom W in particular will be interested in this.

The debate, at least in the Model A world, will rage on in perpetuity, despite that the Service Bulletins state to re-torque hot.
    Anyway,...
    07-12-2018, 10:32 AM
  • 29er
    No. 8 Head Stud
    by 29er
    I'm replacing a blown head gasket. I believe head stud #8 is the one that holds the clamp for the ignition cable. In my case, I'm using the skinny ignition cable and don't need a clamp. #8 is a little...
    06-21-2017, 01:26 AM
Working...
X