No announcement yet.

Model T Head Bolt Tightening Sequence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model T Head Bolt Tightening Sequence.

I made this illustration based on Murray Fahnestocks recommended pattern in the Model T Ford Owner. The original in the book is small an not very useful while actually doing the job.
    This can be printed out on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet and used while torquing down the head bolts. Recommended max torque is 55 ft. lbs.

sequence.jpg

Related Topics

Collapse

• AzBob
    High compression head installed.
    by AzBob
    New Prus 8:1 aluminum high compression head installed. Can maintain 35 mph on hills I used to have to downshift into Ruckstell with. A noticeable improvement in performance all around. The aluminum head weighs 12 lbs. The old 3.98:1 cast iron head weighed 28 lbs.

03-25-2018, 11:55 AM
  • pAAt
    Head bolts
    by pAAt
    I'm getting ready to buy some head bolts. My question is, should I just pay the extra $13 bucks a set and get all grade 8 bolt packs ? I'll be getting 5 sets, I do have a HC head along with a police head, but I will also be using standard heads. Do the grade 8's stand up to corrosion better and maintain a better torque setting ? Thanks and a good morning to you, Pat
    08-16-2019, 07:40 AM
  • Jim Mason
    here's a bolt that eluded me for years
    by Jim Mason
    The parts book calls out square head bolt, square nut, cotterpin.

Yup, it's hex head bolt.......
    09-21-2017, 03:47 PM
  • Steve Plucker
    Bolt oreintation on the Model A/AA Fords
    by Steve Plucker
    There are a few spots on the Model A/AA Ford where one can insert a bolt in either direction to attach a fixture.

Is there mention of specific "Correct Bolt Orientation" for any of the assemblies in the Standards OR can we put them in the way we think and be done with it?

For instance...which way does the bolt attachment go when assembling the generator to the engine?...
    03-27-2019, 11:16 PM
  • Adog
    Water seeping from #7 head bolt, need advice.
    by Adog
    1929 pickup, water is seeping from under #7 head nut. Checked torque at 55 lbs. All ok. Engine runs fine with no other problems that I know of. Is there a easy fix or does the head need to come off. Thanks...
    02-26-2020, 10:02 AM
  • JDupuis
    Markings on Model A head
    by JDupuis
    Putting a rebuilt engine together.
    This head is standard, but must have been aftermarket.
    Note the different castings....
    01-05-2019, 10:14 AM
  • tbirdtbird
    Torque tables
    by tbirdtbird
    From time to time a discussion of Henry not having torque specs arises.

At some later point, engineers derived torque values based on the diameter and grade of the bolts/nuts.
    While the current grading system was not in use in Henry's day, IMO his fasteners were at least grade 5. Else, we would not be able to re-use so many bolts, think of the FW mounting bolts and the FW housing...
    10-25-2018, 09:28 PM
  • wrndln
    Engine pan fasteners
    by wrndln
    First, this is a fine point question, so if you have no interest in fine point questions, just ignore this post. I have a question about engine pan fasteners. I might be posting this in the wrong place. The question involves the 1/4-28 bolts and nuts that attach the panels to the frame. According to the Standard Hardware booklet by Mick Isbell, page 11, the bolts are 9/16" long with square heads...
    02-06-2020, 11:57 AM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    B Head or is it a Model B Head?
    by Tom Wesenberg
    Sometimes people ask about a B head, but they aren't specific whether they mean the Model A high compression head with the "B" cast in it, or are they talking about the Model B engine head with the large "C" cast in it. Besides the letter cast in each head, they are very easy to tell apart by the water pump.
    The Model A head with the "B" cast in it has the regular...
    07-12-2017, 11:04 AM
  • 29er
    Head Stud Installation
    by 29er
    I was reviewing the various types of head studs and bolts and ran across a tool called an "angle torque gauge". Does this have any relevance to the Model "A"? Or is this tool used only for head bolts? Also, when installing new studs, is there a special procedure for somehow torquing the studs in place before installing the cylinder head and torquing the stud nuts? Or does one just...
    06-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Working...
X