X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model T Secondary Ignition Basics

Buzz box 101!!

Original Thread

The basic Model T ignition system has four buzz coils. Each coil is timed to fire a specific spark plug at the correct time. The four buzz coils are in a box and when the key is turned on the brass plate at the bottom of the box is energized. The brass plate contacts the bottom of each coil, so they are all powered whenever the key is on, and each will fire when the circuit through them goes to ground. There are four wires coming out of the side of the coil box which go to a timer on the front of the engine. These wires go to ground one at a time as determined by the timer, and when one of the wires goes to ground the associated buzz box fires the related spark plug.

3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Sea/Tac
      Coil internal wiring
      by Chuck Sea/Tac
      some info says the plus is where to check the high voltage, and another says use the minus. I also have seen wiring diagrams showing comman internal connection on both plus and minus. Are different coils...
      10-15-2018, 09:11 PM
    • Chap52
      Ignition Coil Question
      by Chap52
      My coil is not marked "+"/"-" but "Batt" and "Dist". How do those markings align with +/-?
      11-01-2018, 07:27 PM
    • Foxfire
      No Start, No Spark trouble shooting suggestions
      by Foxfire
      "A" won't start. This is what I've done so far.
      Key off...power on both sides of coil
      Key on...power on one side of coil
      verified point gap and spark at points.
      Key on...
      07-21-2017, 02:02 PM
    • Ray Horton
      Slant pole coil question
      by Ray Horton
      I have what I think is an original slant pole coil in my box-o-stuff. How can I determine if it is a good working one or not?
      11-28-2017, 09:09 PM
    • plyfor
      Coil Polarity
      by plyfor
      Found this little dwg. on the net for checking coils polarity other than the conventional lead pencil test and the vendors' tester. No specificity for 12 volt neg. vs 6 volt pos. systems....
      11-24-2017, 01:32 PM
    • canadian
      friendly discussion
      by canadian
      I have read about the big no no about mounting a ignition coil, terminals down on Model A firewall. I have a NAPA 12V internal resistor mounted upside down for 3 years. Brother rumbles by with 72 dodge...
      05-12-2018, 06:18 AM
    • Paul
      Snap near coil when timing
      by Paul
      While timing my Model A today, I was able to hear a snapping sound near and/or in the coil when I was opening and closing the points. The points are sparking and the car is running. Any clues on the ...
      08-24-2018, 06:55 PM
    • tbirdtbird
      Technical question for MikeK
      by tbirdtbird
      With a Kettering ignition, you need a condenser else the spark you get from the coil is the most pitiful thing you can imagine, and won't jump an angstrom.
      Why are not modern electronic ignitions...
      08-23-2018, 10:19 AM
    • Mitch
      Checking for Intermittent Spark
      by Mitch
      Diagnosing a high speed driveabilty problem can be tougher, because you usually cannot replicate it in your driveway. The first thing i like to know is what system is causing the issue spark, fuel or...
      10-22-2017, 11:42 AM
    • shark81
      GPS
      by shark81
      I bought a wire less lithium battery powered GPS speedometer works great in all my other cars but the Model A . there is no electrical connection to the car and is mounted on a peace of wood on the dash....
      06-05-2018, 05:51 PM
    Working...
    X