1923 Roadster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1923 Roadster

Bought this yesterday. When we saw this at a car show yesterday, I told my friends of my childhood memories of riding in one just like it with my deceased uncle. The guy brought it to the show looking for parts and it was not for sale. We met the owner inside the museum and he said he had dragged the T out of a barn two weeks ago. I shared the story of skinning my knees jumping off the running board of my uncles T. He asked my name and everything fell together. This was my uncle's car! It has been stored in a barn for almost 50 years.

Hey lmitch, WELCOME to the VFF!!

What an incredible story. I am so glad it has come full circle back to you. I would like to wish you many many happy memory returns in your trip to restore this gem.
    VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing ...
    NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

Thanks. Going to restore it with Dad and make some new memories. I'm new to Model Ts and have a lot to learn. Any suggestions to start my restoration library? One of the first I've run across is Henry's "Model T Ford Restoration Handbook".

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
        BILL WILLIAMSON commented
        Editing a comment
        Lmitch,
        Locally, there is a "T" Bucket Hot Rod, with a Flathead Caddy, individual Zoomie Pipes, curving over the finned Racing heads, atop that is a Blower, with 2 Four Barrels. AND, to make it MORE UNIQUE, it's RIGHT HAND DRIVE!!! And a curved shifter, HIGHER than the STEERING WHEEL!!
        Dad Amazedagain

Well, I don't have a library to draw from, but that seems like a good start as well as asking questions here.
      VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
      We grow old because we stop playing ...
      NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

Well, welcome to the VFF. This car and you, it seems, were destined to reunite! This site will provide you with informative advice, a nurturing manner of dispensing that advice, identification of sources for sound parts, and more. Best wishes for a rewarding experience!

Comment

Welcome Imitch to the VFF!!! I'm Mitch

Wow what a story and you're lucky the guy was willing to sell it to you. Your Uncle was certainly setting this transaction up from above. It does look pretty good right now, maybe you can getter going and have some fun.
          2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

What a great story as well as your plan to restore the T with your Dad.

Two books I purchased right away were the Model T Ford Service Manual by Ford Motor Company and The Model T Ford Owner by Murray Fahnestock. These can be purchased through the vendors like Lang’s, Snyders, Chaffin’s Garage etc.

Comment

Great story welcome to the VFF.
              Mike
              Michael
              1928 speedster
              1929 closed cab p/u
              1930 standard roadster
              1931 deluxe tudor sedan
              1967 ss/rs conv.camaro

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and the information. My first issue is getting the car rolling while in the shop. I'm thinking of putting on some 3/4 inch plywood "wheels" to make it a little more mobile. The wheels are shot and the car needs 4 new ones. The spokes are in great shape.

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great
                  Just keep adding onto this thread, it will be fantastic

Imitch welcome to the vff, Azbob is a good source I have owned and restored T's for over 40 years. I could make several recommendations to you to start with you can send me a private message here I would be happy to give you my cell number and we could talk to help you get started. Last but not least that is an incredible story. Not sure where you are from so that might also help you as well. This is a good source and good people here to help.

Comment

Wonderful heart warming story - welcome to the VFF - and to believe as some do that we came to exist due to the "big bang" without divine intervention is always proven wrong, your Uncles spirit and the Lord had a hand in this for sure !! Ask questions of the guys on here, they are wonderfully knowledgeable and can help you to get this gem on the road again, what a great opportunity you have restoring this car with your Dad and what memories you have the chance to make. My suggestion is to take piles of digital photos with a decent camera (doesn't have to be expensive just good), photo every step of the way even the small ones, they could mean a lot to you down the road, make a album on your hard drive and Back it up every time you enter new photos, this could prove priceless to you. I usually take photos of items that I am trying to repair BEFORE I take it apart for reference only, OK I ranted enough, enjoy the car and all that goes with it.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                    BNCHIEF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great points you just made for sure.

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You know, one of the ways to insure those memories and pictures get taken care of, have Dad take the pictures!

As for that simple camera, what better way to keep dad busy.
                Working...
                X