Question regarding 1926 Model T Re: Battery Polarity Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding 1926 Model T Re: Battery Polarity Connections

I am new to this forum and have a question for you guys. When I built my 1926 Model T in 1962 my friend and well known Model T guru, Chris Egsgaard, instructed me to connect the positive battery pole to the frame and the negative pole to the start button. I have had it like that ever since but the car has always cranked slowly. The question is will reversing the polarity help the starter motor crank better and if I reverse the polarity do I have to be concerned with anything else except probably reversing the wires on the amp meter? Could Chris have been trying to limit fire potential which I am told can rarely happen while a Model T is at rest?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hey Hank Welcome to the VFF!!
    Nice T and the too
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Make sure all your connections are clean and tight. The frame connection should be sanded to bare metal where the cable end touches. Use the proper sized cables. Make sure it’s charging and test the battery.

First Hank, WELCOME to the VFF!!

And second, to answer your question, the polarity of the battery will not change the turning rate of the starter. If you are not fully charging the battery each time you run the car, that could cause the battery to loose efficiency.

When you drive the car does the amp meter needle come back to center, or does it always show a charge?

If it comes back to center, then you can turn it up a wee bit, but if it's always showing a charge without any lights on, I would say the battery is weakening.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Thanks for the advise. The amp needle registers a charge when the engine is running at a little above idol so I think the charging system is OK. I may need to replace the cables and clean all contact points for better cranking. I'll try that next.

Comment

Hank, IF you go to the local auto parts for cables, they will be too small by half because they are made for 12v. You may need to go to a vendor unless you have someone that can make up cables for you.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Just ordered the cables from from Langs

Comment

Hank, I am new to the VFF as well. Welcome! Nice looking ’26 T!

My ’26 roadster is negative to ground (frame) and positive to the starter switch. I believe all T’s were originally negative ground.

Comment

Hank welcome to the VFF you could wire your car like a modern car,i would have to check my books but i believe t's were positive ground just like ford always did. Model t's can catch fire because of the generator cut-out ask me how I know? I absolutely use a battery cut-off switch on all my cars and then no electrical fire can start. Ask away that is why we are here.

Comment

I agree with BNCHIEF with regards to installing a battery cut-off switch. I disconnect mine after every run. Have the type that attaches to the negative battery post.

Here is a T wiring diagram which may be of interest or help.

DY073.jpg

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                  BNCHIEF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent advice on your part azbob T's are more susceptible to a wiring fire than later cars. I have not looked at a T in a long time funny why ford went to positive ground after wiring the T this way.

Welcome to the forum Hank.
                The Model T's were neg ground, as AzBob stated. I had a Model A before I owned a T, and always thought that they were wired as yours currently is. I switched the wiring and had no problems. Good Luck. Jeff
                Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Bob thanks for posting the wiring diagram. I made a sticky out of it ..
                  4~ Tudor's
                  1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
                  "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• sideline
                    Amp meter / battery
                    by sideline
                    If I have a battery going bad, would it cause my amp meter to stop showing a + charge when the motor is running? It shows discharge when the lights are on but will never go above zero when they are off. The battery checked 6.1 volts with a digital multimeter, engine on or off. I have checked it with a load tester and it is weak. I have a Schumacher digital battery charger that I just hooked up and...
                    08-08-2020, 07:11 PM
                  • 1930 Closed Cab PU
                    Battery Boxes - holding charge?
                    by 1930 Closed Cab PU
                    Been reading on VFF on battery boxes since I have a no start today.

I understand not to use them to jump a car using the starter, use them to charge the existing battery in the car.

Quick question - how long do they stay usefully charged up when they are unused, kept in a vehicle?
                    02-07-2021, 10:50 AM
                  • Great Lakes Greg
                    Out of car battery maintainer question
                    by Great Lakes Greg
                    If I have six good batteries on a shelf, can I put one battery maintainer on them by running jumpers across all of the positive and all of the negative posts to the maintainer?
                    02-11-2019, 09:59 AM
                  • Leo
                    Battery Charger & Desulfator?
                    by Leo
                    I'm a Battery Tender guy, had one for years and it still does the charging job well. I've read about these desulfator battery chargers which say they can do a better job of prolonging battery life. What say you?
                    01-16-2019, 09:37 AM
                  • copgib
                    Battery Question
                    by copgib
                    I am thinking of replacing my battery in my Model A. I would like to go to a sealed battery so I don't have to worry about putting water in it. Looking for recommendations on what you feel is the best battery for my needs? Thanks Hugh
                    By the way " Merry Christmas ".
                    12-25-2019, 01:22 PM
                  • 1930 Closed Cab PU
                    Jumpering 6v A with 12v
                    by 1930 Closed Cab PU
                    If you had to - if you disconnect the starter to battery cable on a 6v positive ground A, can you direct jumper a 12v Battery (positive to engine, negative to starter. to the starter) to start an A?
                    I realize this is not optimum , 12v on a 6v starter.

How bad does a battery have to be before it will not cause sufficient spark to start an A if hand cranking, or using the above method...
                    03-10-2019, 11:37 AM
                  • Leo
                    Requiem For a Battery
                    by Leo
                    So I've got this 6 Volt battery for maybe 4 years and in the winter I charge it with a Battery Tender about once a month, last time was in January. I've also got a good quality kill switch so there cannot be any parasitic drain. Battery is stone dead in about 5 weeks, can't even light the cowl lights. It will probably take another charge but will not hold it for long. Time for another replace...
                    02-13-2020, 08:07 AM
                  • Licensed to kill
                    generator observation.
                    by Licensed to kill
                    So, like a dummy I inadvertently left the cowl lights on the other night (I use them as daytime running lights) and killed the battery. I thought "no problem, I'll just pull start it". Pulled it around the yard for a bit with no success before it dawned on me that with ZERO juice in the battery, at "pull start" (or hand crank) speed, the generator will not generate enough juice...
                    08-19-2020, 09:34 AM
                  • Adog
                    Battery disconnect switch question
                    by Adog
                    Ok, just received a new battery disconnect switch. Going to mount it on seat riser on 1929 closed cab pickup, 6 volt, positive ground with 6 volt alternator. Instructions say to install it in the circuit between the battery and the starter(negative battery cable). I think it would be better to install in the positive side of battery going to frame ground. What say you, going to use OO battery cab...
                    02-12-2020, 05:03 PM
                  • ClaudeC
                    not sure generator is charging the battery.
                    by ClaudeC
                    On my 1933 v8 generator is turning, but is there a way to check to see if it is putting out. When the engine in idle I imagine it would take some time to top of the battery, right?
                    09-11-2018, 07:38 PM
                  Working...
                  X