Model T history question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model T history question

Hello I'm new here and just staring the Model T life. My question is this. I have been reading anything technical I can get my hands on and most of it shows the correct and proper way to do things right down to the thousandths of an inch. But when I think of all those Ts going to California in the dust bowl I wonder about all the ingenious make do fixes that had to be done along the way. I would be interested in learning some of those old ways of doing things if any of you know some details.

randahl
    Jr Member
    randahl WELCOME to the VFF!!
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Welcome to the VFF!
      Wow, that's a big question, that carries many variables.
      The T was the peoples car, as it was manufactured for the masses.
      The simple designs (although complex) made a break down on the road, a mind game, for those that had little mechanical ability. Their determination to get the car running again was, in itself, the largest contribution to the auto mobile world.
      It wasn't long down the road, when blacksmith shops soon became repair shops as well.
      It was simply a matter of evolution.
      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Welcome to the VFF
        Have you seen this?
        http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/default.htm
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

This book is a good read written by a pioneering Model T dealer in rural Washington state. Details many on the road fixes and problems encountered in the early days of the automobile.

Me and the Model T by Roscoe Sheller. Can be purchased from Thriftbooks for as low as $6.29.
          Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.03.54 AM.png

Comment

My Dad used to say that as long as you had a good pair of pliers and a length of fencing wire you could repair anything on a Model T.
            16489u.jpg16490u.jpg
            Cheers,
            Rob
            ​"As we advance in life we learn the limits of our abilities"......HENRY FORD
            1915 Ford "T" Speedster (Evangeline), 1921 Ford "T" Tourer (Anastasia), 1955 Ford Zephyr 6 (Purdey), 1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint (Daisy), & a couple of moderns.

Comment