1916 Front Spring Oilers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1916 Front Spring Oilers?

I recently acquired a Canadian 1916 Touring T. I thought it odd that the front spring shackles do not have any provision for oiling. Aren't these supposed to have holes in the perches and springs for flip top oilers or something? It looks like there is a spot on the spring but no hole, just a ghost of a circle. They could not have originally been like this - could they?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

If anyone can give an opinion, much appreciated. Maybe then I will have something to post on "what I did to my T Today" later!

Comment

Welcome to the VFF!
      Hopefully one of the more experienced T guys will jump in soon.
      You can write anything you want, even if it is , in the What did I do on my Model T section.

Again Welcome.

Jeff
      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Thanks Jeff - so far I did nothing! Too cold for April.

Comment

Wobbly Dave WELCOME to the VFF!!

Purdy wheels and tires, MORE pictures please
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Welcome Dave to the VFF.. From what I see it should have oilers. Check out the encyclopedia in the Model T technical sub forum.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...ical-reference

C7EAD266-00DB-4AAB-B35B-CC9C487C520F.jpeg
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mitch:

So it sounds like I should at least have oiler on half - perch or spring - but wouldn't it be better to drill out and install oilers on both spring and perch? Or is there a better alternative? Suggestions? I hate the thought of not having lube there.

Comment

The early cars without the drilled spring or perch had either "Mae Wast" or "Figure 8" shackles with twist oilers on the end opposite the nut. The figure 8 style on the right is appropriate for a 1916 car.

Figure8Shackle.jpgTwistOilers.jpg
                Chaffin's Garage in Corona, CA has nice repros.

Best regards,
                Geary
                Last edited by Geary; 04-26-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• dswoodh
                  Front spring replacement
                  by dswoodh
                  Looking to replace the front spring and shackles on my 31 s/w. Welcoming any recommendations as to where to purchase, quality issues etc....
                  02-01-2021, 03:30 PM
                • Tudor31
                  Front Spring
                  by Tudor31
                  This is a Tudor 1931 with a ten leaf front spring. In the last five years I have done a lot of work to get it in good shape. The attention has now turned to the springs and especially the front spring. I have a feeling that the spring is worn down, but I can't figure out if that is the case. The distance between the spring ends and the axle is about a quarter inch and the distance between the clip...
                  10-16-2020, 07:52 PM
                • Steve Plucker
                  Marco's FRONT Spring Chart
                  by Steve Plucker
                  Marco Tahtaras did an excelent REAR Spring Chart showing just where the different individual springs went in a assembled REAR spring.

That being the case ...did he ever do one for the FRONT Spring Assembly?

I say this because I have several disassembled front springs and I do not know just where some of the leaves would go because they are of different lengths and thicknesses....
                  01-20-2019, 04:08 PM
                • knuckl
                  Rear spring with reversed eyes.
                  by knuckl
                  My reversed eye front spring went in easily. I can see that the rear needs to be spread. Of course a spring spreader won't work with it. I was going to use the K. R. Wilson spreader but I have been warned that it is a very dangerous tool. It was also suggested to dismantle the spring. Bolt in the main leaf by itself as it would be easy to spread by hand. Then reassemble the spring. What do you th...
                  11-30-2020, 08:11 PM
                • Mitch
                  Weak front spring
                  by Mitch
                  This truck had a weak front spring which caused the drag link to rub the tie rod. The drag link actually had a flat spot worn into it. Note the distance now with a new spring. If your rods rub you also need a spring...
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  02-21-2018, 02:05 PM
                • wrndln
                  Front axle spring restoration
                  by wrndln
                  I have a question on restoring an original front spring. The spring is a standard 10 leaf spring. I have sandblasted the individual leaves. The question is: Should I epoxy prime the individual leaves before assembling them. I plan to use John Deere Slip Plate between the leaves to provide a lubricant. Any helpful comments would be appreciated on whether the leaves should be painted or just assemble...
                  06-21-2019, 01:31 PM
                • Steve Plucker
                  The A-5455 Front spring clip
                  by Steve Plucker
                  Many times I have seen where someone has secured the A-5455 Front spring clamp bolts with four castle nuts on a a Model A only to find that the hole for which to attach the cotter keys is well below the castles of the nuts. Therefore they put washers to compensate for the gap that is created when the nuts are backed off to secure the nuts with the four cotter keys suffeciently.

Now I...
                  04-16-2020, 10:46 PM
                • Steve Plucker
                  Front and Rear Spring Restoration
                  by Steve Plucker
                  What is the best way to restore the leaf springs?

Electrolisis...Sand blast...wire wheel...all the above ...none of the above...

Followed by painting each leaf or not?...or use graphite grease...

Assemble....

What have you done in your restoration to have a good looking front and rear spring?

Thanks.

Pluck
                  01-19-2019, 12:20 AM
                • Jim Mason
                  d j, how is the spring..
                  by Jim Mason
                  Progressing?
                  05-09-2019, 03:33 PM
                • dmaxweb
                  Problem with Front Spring Eye and Shackle Bushing
                  by dmaxweb
                  I've completed refurbishing the front spring leaves. Yesterday I was pressing in the new shackle bushings and came upon a problem on one end of the spring. The bushing will drop right through. It appears the eye is worn/damaged. On that eye, there is a gap in the "curl" on one side and tight on the back side. I have a collection of bushings, some thin wall and some thick wall, and all...
                  01-21-2021, 06:18 AM
                Working...
                X