Is the windshield mount castings... cast iron or cast steel? 1918 Open Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the windshield mount castings... cast iron or cast steel? 1918 Open Car

Im wanting to add the cowl light mounting cups off of a badly rusted windshield mount casting to these non cowl light mounts. Not anxious to spend a $100.00 on another pair of originals right now as that $100.00 could be better spent on the car elsewhere. Was wondering about the weldability of the casting. Threw these together in the mean time.
    Last edited by Metal Twister; 08-18-2019, 01:59 PM.
    “It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste” Henry Ford

Hey Twister, I don't know the answer, to your question, but your temporary repair looks good for the meantime. Good luck.
    Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Thank you... I knew those over sized freeze plugs could be used sooner or later. The temp mounts will work just fine fine for awhile. Also need to find out what the rear light mount should look like? LOL
      Last edited by Metal Twister; 08-18-2019, 11:43 PM.
      “It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste” Henry Ford

Comment

Twister find the correct lower windshield mounts that are already cast for cowl lights it will look 1000% better if you do not know what I am talking about pm me and i will help you.

Comment

Oh I know what they are and look like... found a pair on ebay but would rather invest the $100.00 else where on the car at this point. I have a pair of rusted ones that are beyond use. But the cups are in good shape. If they are cast steel I can graft the cups onto the existing mounts on the car now and it would look 100% original... would try welding on the rusted set but they are so far gone they would just fizzle away. Just curious if anyone knew what that material is. Thanks

Comment

Well I can tell you it is cast if i find something reasonable I will let you know.

Comment

You know, I was thinking about this, and if it was cast or forged you should be able to braze either one, and with a little sanding and painting, it wouldn't really matter, would it?
              You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Well to be honest I could braze it with oxy / acetylene but ive given all my torches away due to lack of use! Kept a set of small bottles and a jewlers torch for shrinking sheet metal. Cast iron with tig or mig requires pre and post heat and stress relief or it will most likley crack along the heat affected zone... more than I want to deal with! LOL. In a perfect world cast steel would be as easy as fit it up and weld it. But your right... brazing would do it very nicely. Just trying to see what the options are.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DaWizard
                  Windshield openings?
                  by DaWizard
                  I have been sitting here wondering just how many always run with the windshield open and how wide and for what reason?

I will start by saying up until a few days ago, I ran mine closed and put up with the reflection of the rear lights and stuff. But since it has been 95° plus the last few days I cracked it open about 1½in., we'll see how that works.
                  07-10-2017, 03:35 PM
                • JohnB15632
                  Installing windshield
                  by JohnB15632
                  Try as I might, I can not get the Windshield to close. It hits against the filler strip.
                  I am beginning to think that I have the wrong windshield for my 31 SW 4D TS.

I have a windshield which is original. I measured the heights in the center of the window and the one installed is almost 1/4" bigger. This different in heights is what is leading me to think that this windshield...
                  07-25-2019, 12:39 PM
                • dmdeaton
                  Open Car Windshield Questions
                  by dmdeaton
                  Are there any good links or resources for info on how to adjust and assemble the windshield assembles on a open car? I am taking off the spotlights on the roadster and one stanchion I am having issues with. Mounting holes are too large for the countersink bolts.
                  Both lower stanchions don't seem to line up and pull in when tightened. This binds on the windshield. I have the upper gaskets in...
                  09-11-2017, 10:38 AM
                • dmdeaton
                  Another goofy question - Windshield
                  by dmdeaton
                  Took the roadster out Saturday and tipped the windshield open to get some air. Kept vibrating back closed. I didn't strong arm the thumb screws till I asked you guys??
                  10-16-2017, 09:48 PM
                • Tom Wesenberg
                  Don't be Affraid to Weld Cast Iron
                  by Tom Wesenberg
                  When I was 12 I worked for a farmer a few miles away. One day a cast iron part broke on his vacuum pump for his milking machines, so he threw it away. Back then many people seemed to think you couldn't weld cast iron. By the time I was 15 I learned cast iron could be welded or brazed to repair a break. About 30 years ago I hit a tree stump and broke the mounting ear on the quill on my Cub Cadet mower...
                  06-08-2017, 09:15 PM
                • David31ford
                  windshield frame
                  by David31ford
                  Hi I'm new to this form and new with the model A . I have a 31 Ford slant windshield and I am looking for the area that the windshield connects to right above the pillars across the front . I'm not sure what this area is called but whoever had the car before me decided to weld across the hinge and they messed that area up and needs to be cut out and replaced.
                  07-06-2018, 11:14 AM
                • Beauford
                  Open windshield
                  by Beauford
                  Anyone got a side view pic of how I install the hardware on my RPU windshield? I know I have all the parts in a box somewhere.....
                  08-13-2017, 01:44 AM
                • Paragon
                  Windshield weatherstrip installation
                  by Paragon
                  Windshield glass, weather seal around glass and frame all went together well. Have installed bottom weatherstrip and let it rest overnight to "adjust" for any stretching. What's the trick to installing the two side weatherstripping around the windshield square nuts that are in the channel? Do you guys cut a notch in the bead to go around the nut? Is there enough stretch to get the bead...
                  12-24-2018, 08:35 AM
                • Sterling31
                  Slant window 31 Ford Fordor- Need help with windshield rubber and interior trim installation.
                  by Sterling31
                  I have a 1931 Ford Fordor Slant window that I have be restoring for about 8 years. Need some guidance on installation of the windshield header rubber and interior trim pieces that appear to be missing. Not sure how to miter the windshield side rubbers to meet with the header rubber to avoid air noise. Also, it appears I am missing something in the upper corners of the windshield interior trim pieces...
                  01-14-2019, 02:20 PM
                • 28PhaetonRoy
                  NEED 28 PHAETON WINDSHIELD STANCHION LOCATION DIMENSIONS
                  by 28PhaetonRoy
                  Hi all:
                  I am looking for a dimension from the top of my 28 Phaeton windshield stanchion tips from front to rear. I know side to side dim is 44" C to C, but I have a 7/16" difference in distance from the two stanchion tips to a centerpoint at the rear body tack rail. Is this enough to be concerned about when installing a new Lebaron Bonney top? If centerpoint at rear of body is not...
                  02-24-2019, 03:07 PM
                Working...
                X