Purists, be warned....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purists, be warned....

What I am about to say, may either bring the gnashing of teeth or absolute, side-splitting hilarity, to the Model T purists. And come to think of it, the Model T modifiers as well.
    Personally, I prefer the Model T in its pure form. However every so often, I have a stroke of genius. Or maybe I just have a stroke?
    I realize, Model Ts have been re-powered by many different types of engines. In doing so, the majority of the time, the car is altered in its appearance.
    For some time now, I have wondered if anyone has ever re-powered a Model T, with a most unlikely power mill.
    OK. Here is what I was thinking. A Model T powered by a ........wait for it.........A14 or A15, Datsun engine. Or even perhaps a Toyota four cylinder? Maybe even a Honda four cylinder?
    OK. I am rather biased. So my choice would be the 1970s Datsun. I had that engine, in my 1974 Datsun B210, many years ago. I loved the simplicity of that engine, while still achieving 42 MPG, with a carburetor and not fuel injection. Plus, driving it to 240,000 miles didn’t hurt either.
    OK. The engineering would likely be a nightmare. Marry the Datsun engine to the Model T transmission? YIKES! It would likely do a fair bit of damage to the transmission. Even if it were possible to meld the two together.
    Utilizing the Datsun engine and its original manual transmission, might possibly be a mad genius solution, after figuring out how to connect the torque tube setup to the splines of the Datsun transmission.
    (Does anyone else’s head feel like exploding yet?)
    Gear ratios, wheel and tire sizes, RPM and piston stroke differences.....I must be nuts, just for entertaining this idea.
    Also keep in mind, all the while, the idea is to keep the outward appearance as true to original as possible. Not necessarily perfectly true in appearance. But as close as possible.
    OK. Please feel free to comment, chastise me, tell me I’m absolutely insane, or possibly a genius.
    At the very least, I just came up with a new way to brew up a Japanese “T-ea”.

Have you seen George Miller's T~A in the modified? This may give you some more ideas

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-to-me-model-t
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Quite a few of our guys over here are thinking 4 cylinder deisels for repowering these days.

A turbo diesel in a T or an A would be a nice cruiser.

Comment

I too fantasize about different engines that would fit into an A, but as Mitch mentioned check out George's build.
        My build woud be a 4 cyl diesel into the A.
        The drive train from a Mazda Miata would also be sweet.
        My first car was a 74 Datsun 710. That was a great car. . Jeff
        Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

The Canadians produce a T era TV series set in Toronto, called "Frankie Drake Mysteries"... https://www.cbc.ca/frankiedrake/
          I've seen several episodes and watch many Model T's doing their thing, well.
          However, there is one T that the stars drive quite a bit. To any Model T person, its very obviously been modified. I suppose so as to make it easier for them to do so.
          I've been trying to figure out just what it is powered by, but cant.
          The show is worth a look anyway, regardless of the cars.
          Cheers,
          Rob
          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." "HENRY FORD
          1915 Ford "T" Speedster (Evangeline), 1921 Ford "T" Tourer (Anastasia), 1955 Ford Zephyr 6 (Purdey), 1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint (Daisy), & a couple of moderns.

Comment

I thought of diesel as well. Then discounted it. Perhaps too soon. After all, even though the Model T engine was easily run on distillates and gasoline, kerosene was not unheard of. Kerosene and diesel are kissing cousins after all.
            Deutz makes some wonderful Diesel engines. But there are certainly other makes too. It certainly bears consideration.
            I also recall my dad telling me, during our “can be” harsh winters, kerosene was used in the radiator of my grandparent’s 1924 sedan as well as in the fuel tank. I don’t know how well kerosene would allow the model T engine to run. But evidently it worked in a pinch, perhaps.
            I will also check out that television series. It sounds intriguing.
            Thank you everyone.

Comment

How about an old offenhauser.

Comment

Originally posted by BNCHIEF View Post
                How about an old offenhauser.
                Now ya talkin......
                "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." "HENRY FORD
                1915 Ford "T" Speedster (Evangeline), 1921 Ford "T" Tourer (Anastasia), 1955 Ford Zephyr 6 (Purdey), 1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint (Daisy), & a couple of moderns.

Comment

DOHC_Ford_1_FrontyFord-vi.jpg
                  This would be my choice if I could find and “afford” the components.

Comment

There was a T on EBay once that was repowered with a Harley engine.
                    I like repowers when done correctly. I have a '50 pickup with a 6 cylinder diesel, and my uncle built a '28 cabriolet with a mid 70's Capri powertrain, but I get bored seeing everything with small block Chevy's stuffed in them.

Comment

Gastrap Welcome to the VFF! . Jeff
                      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Hey Gastrap. WELCOME to the VFF!!
                        Whenever I pass someone who's texting and driving, I throw my beer at their window.

Comment

Welcome Gastrap to the VFF! Post up some pics of your trap
                          3 ~ Tudor's
                          Henry Ford said
                          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                            Welcome Gastrap to the VFF! Post up some pics of your trap
                            Thanks all!
                            I'll post some stuff in the intro thread soon so this repower thread can stay on track.

Comment

There was a time when planning my Speedster project, where I considered putting one of the little V8/60's in the thing.
                              At that time, the ONLY thing that stopped me was that I couldn't find one.
                              Maybe next time.
                              Cheers,
                              Rob
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Rob Patterson; 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Rob a lot of those were used in midgets on dirt tracks.

Comment

and.....where are they now?

Comment

Most likely the scrapyard.

Comment

widgetinstance 451 (<center>Related Topics</center>) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                    Working...
                                    X