Henry deep in the woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry deep in the woods

I do a lot of metal detecting for Civil War relics and went to a 1840s home site to hunt deep in the woods. These original foundations would be reused and built open years later if the original structure burned or was beyond repair. Often you can see the signs of people occupying the dwelling up until the 30s. Just about every hunt you think your detector has found a civil war belt buckle but after unearthing it is always Henry. Here we have a lonely Model T hub cap seeing the light after maybe a 100 years. Not what I’m looking for but being a Model A owner it always brightens my day!!

"Could it be"

Comment

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      Another "Bobby Dazzler" Bahahahahaha!! Top pocket find!

That is so cool. Have you found other car stuff?
    Thanks for sharing
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      radiator caps, wheel stops, a whole tudor with trees growing out of it, lots of crushed light switch covers...its like part shopping and all original.

No car parts today Metal Detecting. Just a Yankee Staff Officer cuff button. First light in a 150 years... 0DE4F153-DC08-4A56-A82B-CCF31CD08471.jpeg

Comment

That's cool Beau, It looks to be a little rotted. Are they worth anything? Oh and it's time for a pedicure
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I think someone should take the nail clippers from him ! I like Yankee stuff . My nickname in Tennessee is Useless S. Grant.

Comment

It's not rotted...solid brass! Yankee stuff is not worth much. This button is $40. The yankees had all the manufacturing so you will always find more Yankee relics. The South was poor because in 1828, northern politicians forced the south to buy goods from the north by passing federal laws that placed high taxes on goods imported from Europe. The South basically paid 3/4 of the country's taxes from cotton and tobacco. Most button manufacturing was still in Europe. Confederates could not afford the taxes and tariffs thus you will find less confederate relics which are worth more. 2 years ago I found one of the rarest confederate buttons. Hornet Nest Rifle Corp. This button in 1992 went for about 20K. These days people do not buy collectables, care about history or even about antique furniture. The price has hit the bottom on most stuff. I was in a rough patch and sold that button at auction for 4K. All early history books were written and produced in the North as well. What you read is the war was all about slavery. Yes, that was a factor but Southern states where all talking about seceeding way before the War because of the Norths taxation. There is your bit of history and reason Confederate relics are worth more even though they were the losing army. Yes, I bite my nails...about the only bad habit I have besides a chew between the cheek and gum. LOL

Comment

What kind of metal finder do you use ? I have a couple places here I'd like to check out. Great history lesson Beauford !!

Comment

That was a nice read Beau. thanks
              Pat, you can bet that his detector may be the best that money can buy.
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I run either a Nokta Marko Anfibio Multi (water proof to 16ft) or a XP Deus or a Teknetics T2 SE. Depending on location, ground minerals, home site vs farm field, battle areas I will run different one. My finds have paid my mortgage 4 times when I was unemployed.

Comment