Inherited a 1926 Roadster, need some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited a 1926 Roadster, need some help

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and frankly new to model t's but I was fortunate to inherit what I believe to be a 1926 roadster. I have checked the serial number on the engine and its seems to match what I was told. It also appears to have a Ruckstell rear end. I am excited to get it working order. I am looking forward to learning more from you all and this will be my first ever project. One area of the car that is stumping me is the trunk, I can't tell whats going on here the previous owners seem to have modified it and the trunk lid does not open all the way. Im also wondering what the white button to the right of the steering wheel, Im thinking has something to do with the lights? It appears to have been a rubber type button but the rubber has since dried out so it neither pushes or twists now. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by MontanaRed; 10-03-2018, 12:51 PM.

Welcome MontanaRed to the VFF!

Nice T, does it run?
    1~1931 Tudor ~ Dad
    2~1930 Tudor's ~ Lucy & Paul

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• MontanaRed
      MontanaRed commented
      Editing a comment
      supposedly it ran before it was parked in my grandpa's shop for 20 years. Haven't tried it yet, but the motor is free! The fan assembly is missing in the picture because Im in the process of putting new bushings in it.
      Last edited by MontanaRed; 10-03-2018, 12:46 PM.

Originally posted by MontanaRed View Post
    it ran before it was parked

Haha we hear that a lot !!

These ran when parked, but you have a much better start..
    Keep us posted on your progress
    1~1931 Tudor ~ Dad
    2~1930 Tudor's ~ Lucy & Paul

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Welcome to the VFF!
      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Welcome MontanaRed. Looking forward to seeing your progress of that Model T. Hugh

Comment

Hey MontanaRed, WELCOME to the VFF!!

As for the deck lid, try having someone inside look where it is hitting. It doesn't look like it was modified from the pictures.

It looks from here you have a pretty solid chunk of metal. Keep us updated on your progress with pictures.
          Champagne don't drive me crazy, cocaine don't make me lazy, ain't nobody's business but my own.

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker, you can drink all the liquor down in Costa Rica, ain't nobody's business but yer own.

Comment

• MontanaRed
            MontanaRed commented
            Editing a comment
            if it hasn't been modified what is suppose to go in the big gap about the trunk lid?

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry Red, I wasn't looking at the top side, I was looking at the short apron. That'll teach me to look at the whole picture.

Welcome to VFF. Looks like someone did some work on the rear of that thing. Just snagged a picture off the internet thingy. Not a T guy but I am betting yours was modified in the past to act like a pickup and then somebody else tried to put a trunk back on it. Can you measure the width and length of that trunk lid, it looks like a Model A trunk cover.
          Last edited by Jwmckenzie; 10-03-2018, 04:42 PM.
          Jon.

"Answers without questions are unwanted opinions."

Comment

• JDupuis
            JDupuis commented
            Editing a comment
            X2

• MontanaRed
            MontanaRed commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks guys, I will get some measurements and check that but I bet you are exactly right, so the next question is what would you do in my situation, can I find an original rear, convert it to a truck bed, get a reman rear. My dream would be put a rumble seat in it as a have a couple small children that would love Sunday drives with dad to town. But the original rear has been cut up and has a bunch of body putty on it as you can see. Would love some opinions.

Welcome MontanaRed!

A fellow ’26 Roadster owner here. In my opinion, one of the best looking Model T’s. There was a kit back in the day to convert the ’26/’27 trunks into rumble seats.

Have considered removing the turtle deck from mine and converting it to a pickup. Original pickup beds turn up every now and then. Wood bed kits are available as well. Every time I think about removing the turtle deck, the more I think I would miss it. Like the way the body blends in with the turtle deck.

New sheetmetal is available from Howell’s Sheetmetal.
          Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 5.37.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 5.38.31 PM.png
          Last edited by AzBob; 10-03-2018, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• MontanaRed
            MontanaRed commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the reply Bob, I also like how the turtle back looks, what you have shown me is just the trunk lid and accessories right? I think after someone cut up the rest of the back end i need that too. Also any Idea what that white rubber button is on my dash?
            Last edited by MontanaRed; 10-03-2018, 10:08 PM.

• AzBob
            AzBob commented
            Editing a comment
            MontanaRed, Looks like some investigation will have to be done to determine what exactly was altered on the trunk opening. In any case you have a real nice project there. To quote Tom Hicks, “a T does not have to be perfect to drive around and show."

The white button on the dash may have been a switch for a spot light or some other auxiliary light. If there is any wiring left, you might try tracing it back.

I don't know anything about the trunk or body work, but you have a great project there!

A Ruckstell makes a big difference in the drivability of a T.

And a T does not have to be perfect to drive around and show. Rust is a good patina.

I hope you can post pictures of your progress.

Have you decided how you want to finish it? Like it is? Daily driver? Museum piece?

Comment

• MontanaRed
            MontanaRed commented
            Editing a comment
            Im leaning towards a fun go to town car, I will start with functionality and not worry to much about cosmetics then at some point done well enough to look decent but not going for museum/competition quality.
            Last edited by MontanaRed; 10-03-2018, 09:39 PM.

I like the way you think! Good plan! Get it running, get it mechanically sound, then go from there! T's are really fun to drive, and don't have to be perfect cosmetically to be totally acceptable. Many people just clear coat the rusted parts and drive on.

Comment

• MontanaRed
            MontanaRed commented
            Editing a comment
            Kinda like a rat rod, just without the rod. lol

A picture of a ’26 with the aftermarket rumble seat.

216486.jpg

Comment

Cheapest easy fix would be to, reconvert it back into a homemade truck. Use old barn boards and put in a rear facing seat for the kids. An old milk can and wooden chicken crate would add to it’s appeal.
            Most important to get it running properly and safely.
            Jeff
            Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Welcome aboard !! DON'T push that white button, it may be for the ejection seat, otherwise known as the "mother-in-law seat"

Comment