Multi Plate Clutch Info!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi Plate Clutch Info!

The inside of the flywheel is the most critical part. If the internal splines are worn to where they have divots from the teeth on the clutch pack rattleing, the clutch will not release well. Also, that flywheel looks from the photo to be the early flywheel with out the releaf for the starter drive, so an early starter would be necessary. The transmission gears look good, so that is a plus, and the teeth on the clutch pack look nice also. If you take it apart, read the service bulletins carefully, as one of the clutch disks is different, and the placement of that disk is important.
    Bill
    http://www.brauchauto.com/
    Eastern Connecticut

Yes, one clutch disc has slightly wider teeth to stop the clutch pack from rattling back and forth in the grooves. One of the teeth on this disc has a chisel mark to identify it, and this one is to be located closest to the tranny, as that one moves the least when the clutch is depressed.

Comment

Here are some multiplate flywheel pictures, and the first shows the flywheel on a 21" rim, so that strange bead to the left of the ring gear is the wheel
      Notice the first picture is the first style flywheel with a straight surface behind the ring gear.
      The next picture is the second style, introduced about August 1928, and has the relief in the outer edge for the new starter drive to replace the Abell drive.
      Before blasting, the flywheel didn't look too good, and I thought it even appeared to have worn internal teeth, but after cleaning, the flywheel looks NOS.

Comment

Some more info from Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...l-Aug-2003.pdf

D1AB6EC0-0BC1-4BB1-9640-B9BDF5724EA8.jpegC5C834AD-D60F-44C4-B224-48DFF33AFFE3.jpegE9AAB583-9693-48CC-8AD8-009E85E22EA4.jpeg
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/clutch.html
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Steve Plucker
            Converting MD Clutch to a SD Clutch system...
            by Steve Plucker
            Has anyone ever converted a Multi-Disc Clutch system to a Single Disc Clutch system on a 1928 Model A/AA Ford YET maintain that 1928 look on the outside of the chassis???

If so, just what is the procedure to do so?

Could it be wrote up to include in this fourm???

Thanks.

Pluck
            11-10-2018, 11:35 AM
          • Paul K.
            Clutch Disc F150 3spd w/OD
            by Paul K.
            I need a Clutch Disc for the F150 Transmission Input Shaft. Need 9"dia, 10 teeth spline and 1 1/6" shaft to install with a Model A Clutch and Throw Out Bearing on Model A Flywheel.
            The hole for the Torsion Spring hub on the Model A Pressure Plate is 5" dia.
            Folks say use 86 TBird 2.3L 4cyl Turbo, but that hub is about 5 3/4" dia. Have learned that are using the...
            03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
          • pAAt
            Multi clutch Trans
            by pAAt
            Picked up a complete multi trans from flywheel to u-joint and all looks great except for the ring gear. I'm sure that's why they pulled it and lucky for me. The ring gear might be able to be flipped (worn about half way through), but I'll replace it. Anyone know if they're all the same as a single disc flywheel ? I found out today they are the same ring gear. I was told the clutch pack looks very...
            04-27-2018, 03:42 PM
          • pAAt
            early 28 multi disc clutch package
            by pAAt
            I have the chance to buy this setup and it would have been originally in my truck. Question is, would this be as reliable of a clutch as the newer single disc ? Thanks, Pat...
            02-28-2018, 10:37 PM
          • Paul K.
            10 inch clutch disc on Mode; A Clutch
            by Paul K.
            Has anyone ran a 10 inch clutch disc on a 9 inch Model A Clutch? If so, any problems?...
            08-18-2018, 02:14 PM
          • 40B1930
            Clutch Chatter Diagnosis
            by 40B1930
            After 60 miles of shake-down drives, I am hearing clutch disc chatter with the trans. in nuetral. When I press the clutch pedal in to the point where the slack is taken up the chatter stops. After driving the car for a few miles the chatter is gone (maybe the grease on the new throw-our bearing thins after warming)?
            1. All parts are new
            2. Clutch disc was centered
            3. Pressure plate...
            08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
          • Tgenardi
            Bad clutch??
            by Tgenardi
            Just purchased a 1930 Model A with a 1980 Jeep engine and 1939 transmission from what I was told. It may have an adapter between bell housing and transmission. When you put the clutch in, you can change gears, but the vehicle doesn't move. The previous owner said it just went out as she had other potential buyers test driving the vehicle. The clutch pedal is kind of soft.
            I'm looking for some...
            08-06-2018, 08:59 AM
          • canadian
            clutch adjustment.
            by canadian
            I have a 29 , all stock but 12 volt conversion. have just completed a 500 kilometre road test, back a year or so ago while assembling this project when it came to clutch I replaced disc and bearing . I made a finger adjustment tool as per Toms specs. everything operates smooth , no slippage . My issue is , seems like clutch pedal is off floor almost 1/2 to 3/4 of its travel to engage . by depressing...
            06-21-2018, 07:44 PM
          • Jeff/Illinois
            Fort Wayne Clutch
            by Jeff/Illinois
            I notice in their parts pic they don't show a clutch disc with caged springs.

FW Clutch is one if not THE best suppliers for clutch applications. I just thought this was odd.

http://fortwayneclutch.com/product/f...1523-kt1523-r/

Bert's does show them..............
            02-05-2018, 06:49 PM
          • Roadster Rich
            Stuck Clutch
            by Roadster Rich
            My car is now in Venice Florida since last summer. I last drove it in September and had a pretty bad leaking water pump. So I repaired that and just went to go for a ride. Started up like a champ, but the clutch is stuck and pushing in the pedal does nothing. I am right on the gulf and in a garage that is not dehumidified so I suspect it is corrosion causing this.

I seem to have heard...
            02-19-2018, 04:37 PM
          Working...
          X