Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bratton's differential, transmission, steering gear oil analysis

Original Thread

Attached are the analysis for the Bratton's gear oil. Blackstone was not able to answer all of my questions as this speciality oil has additives that are not normally found in other lubricating oils that they test. In a phone conversation with the chemist he said that the oil was doing an exceptional job protecting the differential components and could have gone many more miles than the 15,000 it had been used. I included the virgin oil report and the used oil report. Note that the viscosity of the virgin oil is equivalent to 140 gear oil. The chemist said that the "sticky" additive significantly increased the oil's ability to cling to the gears and bearings but they could not identify the specific agent used as it was not in their database of chemicals that they test for. When the transmission is due for a change, I will send in a sample of the used oil.

[ATTACH]n271898[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]n271899[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Leo
      600W Oil Equivalent? AGMA 8EP ISO 680
      by Leo
      I found a gallon of this in my garage which I must have purchased years ago. Does it equate to 600W oil?
      11-24-2020, 09:11 AM
    • Dennis
      The disappointing oil results.
      by Dennis
      I got the jug Mobilgear oil delivered to me a couple days ago and decided to clear the bench so I can move on. I would recommend not wasting your money on Mobilgear 600XP 460. It is actually SAE 140. I didn’t notice that before I ordered it. I also had a bottle of Mac’s 600W I bought in the past out of convenience from CW Moss. I had identical measuring cups from the laundry soap bottles that...
      07-08-2019, 12:19 PM
    • slammin
      600 W oil
      by slammin
      I see some confusion on what 600 W really is. One search states that the company originally making 600W was bought by Mobile years ago. Mobil offers Mobil - 1 Gallon Bottle, SAE 140 Mineral Gear Oil

Viscosity (SUS) 30.6 at 100°C, 460 at 40°C Sq. mm/s, ISO 460
      Most vendors offer 600W by the quart, prices ranging from $7.50 to $10.30 I use Mobile industrial oils for the machinery in my shop...
      10-03-2017, 01:56 PM
    • gdaquilina
      Bratton's differential, transmission, steering gear oil analysis
      by gdaquilina
      Attached are the analysis for the Bratton's gear oil. Blackstone was not able to answer all of my questions as this speciality oil has additives that are not normally found in other lubricating oils that they test. In a phone conversation with the chemist he said that the oil was doing an exceptional job protecting the differential components and could have gone many more miles than the 15,000 it...
      10-06-2020, 09:14 PM
    • Jamey E
      Changing the tranny oil
      by Jamey E
      Does anybody do or suggest doing the kerosene flush when changing the oil in the transmission? We believe the car currently has the incorrect oil in it, & we are planning to use the 600W
      04-19-2020, 11:43 AM
    • CM2
      Modern gear oil or 600w in a rear axle?
      by CM2
      I see the point in running 600w in a spur gear transmission,but with basically a modern ring and pinion with tapered bearings is it wiser to run 600w or modern gear lubricants? I'm leaning hard to modern GL5 spec high pressure synthetic..
      600w?
      43.75%
      Modern gear oil
      56.25%
      banana peels
      0%
      whole bananas
      0%
      04-06-2018, 09:39 AM
    • getgood
      Recommendations on using 600W Oil - unknown age
      by getgood
      When I bought my '30 Coupe Model a back in January '20 it came with various extras. One of those was a box of (5) 600W bottles of oil (see pictures 1 was opened, the other four appear to be unopened).

I've been slowly going through the car and inspecting and verifying various systems

I've finally got the time to get to inspecting the the differential and clutch in about another...
      08-22-2020, 08:34 PM
    • rrich1
      Favorite oil for hand held oil can?
      by rrich1
      What oil do you use for a hand held oil can to lube the various parts on the model A? Also do you use an antique oiler or a new one? The ladder is more curiosity than anything....
      10-08-2019, 07:29 PM
    • Kevin in NJ
      Shock oil, an example
      by Kevin in NJ
      Something I totally forgot I have. A 3/4 full can of era shock oil.
      it was next to a can of oil sold by suppliers likely in the 70’s.
      At some point I will try to figure a way to test and compare the oil to other oils. I did do a finger compare between the clear oil in the modern can vs the reddish oil in the old can. The old oil felt thicker.

When I get some time I will...
      09-22-2020, 01:39 PM
    • Steve Plucker
      Looking for a clear oil
      by Steve Plucker
      Would anyone know of a clear oil?

As clear as water!

No color to it.

Thanks.

Pluck
      06-08-2019, 12:44 PM
    Working...