X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish Bone / Radius Ball info

Original Thread

How does my ball look?
    It had a rubber ball over it when I took it all apart. I need to order new stuff for attachment. The ball doesn't look worn.

It should measure close to 1.5 mic it and see
    2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

1.466 on the worn side and 1.493 or so on the good side. Not too bad

Comment

I put a bunch of wishbone items in my shopping cart, ready to hit buy. Whoever had this last put the rubber ball fix on it. I am ordering all new mounts, foam, and bolts for this. For $1 I threw in the cupped washer just in case. I don't think its nowhere near that bad, but only a dollar.

Comment

I think the ball condition is good enough to rebuild it back to standard. Snyders has a great kit that fits well. Follow instructions carefully.

Comment

• dmdeaton
            dmdeaton commented
            Editing a comment
            in my cart
            thanks

My 29 had a rubber cover also, though not with the rust pits your's show. I also bought the correct kit and bolts, and it fit just fine. As long as you have about 1/8" space or more between the 2 clamping plates, you should be good to go. Put lots of grease on the ball when you assemble it.

Sometimes the bolt heads wear the pockets in the cover, so you may need to make small spacers to raise the bolts up for proper engagement with the cross pin.

Comment

1/8" space? I have my bolts drawn tight, and the cotter pins are a little above the nuts. Is this not good? I know the red book says " tighten until the spacers are touched".

Comment

Yes, the spacer sleeves will touch, and the springs will push against the lower cap to keep pressure on the ball. As long as you have air space between the top and bottom caps, that means the springs will push the cap tight to the ball.
              I'd consider about 1/8" gap the minimum before adding the washer, or rebuilding the ball.

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                see the pic posted below

Here's a photo; we wrestled with this to get the springs to not be totally compressed and the gap between the upper and lower plate as Tom mentioned.
              If you use the $1 spacer, it should be tack welded to the lower cap so it doesn't migrate around from ball motion.
              Attached Files

Comment

thanks guys, good stuff

Comment

Some more radius ball information

http://cedarcreekas.org/TechTopics/RadiusBallRandR.pdf

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mr. dmdeaton,

Just an added compliment for your detailed post with photos, and a complimentary reminder to remind all of us what many of us sometimes forget to consider:

A wonderful, simple title like yours: "Wish Bone", with wonderful detailed responses, in lieu of a sincere post title offered similar to: "My Dilema?", "What to do?", "How to fix?", etc., etc.

Later, when any Model A owner has a similar, most informative type of "Wish Bone" question such as yours, he/she can very simply click on "Search", scroll down, and there it is in plain English: "Wish Bone"

Comment

Where does the felt sponge go? In the bellhousing under the pin? I cannot find a pick of it anywhere.

Comment

• Mitch
                        Mitch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes , the pin presses down on it

Ck my Lucy build pics.. there may be one of that

That's the only place I could imagine it would go

Comment

Scan0025.jpg
                        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Mitch, I screwed that one up. I stuffed it between the pin and the top cap. I never would have thought to thread it through.

Comment

You'll be fine with the felt under the pin. I've done it both ways, but most of the time I just stuff it under the pin.

Comment

• Mitch
                              Mitch commented
                              Editing a comment
                              So do I

• DaWizard
                              DaWizard commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It is after all there to hold damp the top of the ball with whatever oil leaks out the back of the engine, so it just needs to be up against the top cap.