Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire mounting tips

Tire Mounting Info!

How about someone explaining a good way to mount and dismount model a tires and tubes. Someone mentioned garbage bags do not understand the point any difference between bias ply and radials. Also when to add the balance beads.

Somewhere there is a pictorial of how owners changed tires many years ago with the wheel still on the car and the car jacked up a little. Of course, the rubber used back then was softer. But those pix gave us an idea.

We put the car on the lift and lock the brake pedal. Then we use the Left Front spindle as our 'tire machine'. It helps to have 2 people. We powder up the inside of the tire, and then install the tube. We place a large garbage bag over the rim, to act as a sort of 'lubricant'. This is similar to how you install seat covers, always use a garbage bag, it is much easier. Then, with the rim positioned so that the stem is at the top, we poke the stem thru the rim and begin to work both beads onto the rim at once. We sometimes also use rubber lubricant on the bead. You could use silicone spray except since we paint cars here, we have to avoid silicone like the plague. We worry the beads on little by little. We tape the ends of our tire irons with electrical tape, lots of it. Sometimes we need an iron for the last couple inches, sometimes not. As you are pushing the bead on by hand, be sure it drops into the drop center. It is not very deep but it still helps. Once you have done this once, it becomes very quick and easy to do. When done, remove the garbage bag.

Comment

Tbird i do model t's with the wheel on the car I planned on doing the A the same way now i understand the trash bag works i think so you put the bag over the whole wheel and poke the tire stem thru the bag or just put enough of the bag on to put the stem behind it. Are radials new stiffer and harder to mount than bias ply? I just do not want to pinch a 50.00 tube.

Comment

I'll post how I do the bag trick later
        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Only the outer rim lip needs the trash bag. No need to cover the entire rim. Thus no need to poke stem thru hole in bag. Cannot comment on radials, have not done them. We install both beads at once with tube already in expressly to avoid damage to tube. Doing this on the car with the brake pedal locked in the on position works well since now the wheel isn't fighting your every movement. Even if a bit of trash bag remains behind, it won'\t hurt anything. As for balance, I use a local tire shop that has figured out how to mount A rims on their modern machine, and they get the hi-tech balance

Comment

Thanks Mitch that is not a method i am familiar with.

Comment

Thanks tbird that clears it up for me.

Comment

If you've got a rear mount for the spare tire use that. It's higher. FWIW
                Paul in CT

Comment

I used soft soap the last time, but I'm going to try the plastic bag the next time.

Comment

Flamingo thanks for the tip great idea that would be the easiest to work with. Purdy go jo would work but does it dry soon where the bead meets the wheel?

Comment

When using the plastic bag just drape it over the outside of the rim as Tbird mentioned. Slide the inner tire bead over the rim and pull out the bag, then use talcum powder on your tube liberally. Inflate the tube just enough to give it a little shape and tuck it into the tire and install the stem through the rim hole. If your using metal stems now is the time to screw on the outside stem cover, as this will help keep the stem centered in the hole. Now place the trash bag again over the rim lip and walk the outside tire bead on, but be careful to not walk the tube in either direction as this will pull on the stem cocking it. If you do find the stem cocked a little just move the tire some as this will straighten the stem out. then pull out the bag
                      I also use tire soap or some kind of lube so when you inflate the tire, the bead is correctly seated on the rim. If it is not seated correctly it will give you a jump on rotation.
                      2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Mitch I am aware of getting the bead fully seated to the rim.

Comment

I used to do it that way but once I pinched a tube. So now I do the 2 beads and the tube all at once.

Sometimes removing old dried out tires is a real problem. You can lube and such, but I often end up taking a sawzall to them. If you jack with the old hard tires too much you can mar your rim

Comment

there are a lot of ways to skin a tire
                            i use my modern tire machine now, nothing touches the rim to mount or dismount
                            2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

meaning you cheat!!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X