Shock Arm Manufacturers Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Arm Manufacturers Mark

Getting ready to clean up the rest of my shock arms to possibly come up with a set with matching marks and correct style. What are the most common mark? Also I have not yet bought the revised JS. Were there any changes made to the shock arm section? Planning to buy new JS in Sept. before going on Junk Jaunt so I can look closely for items needed correct parts. Rod
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Rod the shock arm section was revised for the 2016 revision
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Steve schumack (sp?) Has a great book on shock & arms. don't know if it's available through the vendors. If I remember. na, spicer, houdille & possibly ford made arms. Center parting lines, side parting lines, and markings are some of the differences.
      http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

Jim is correct above, i copied this out of the JS anyway's

The Model A used two basic styles of shock
        arms, which were characterized by either
        an edge forging-die-parting line or a center
        forging-die-parting line.

Initially Ford manufactured all Model A
        shock arms using their own forgings and
        forgings from suppliers. As production
        accelerated, Ford continued to produce shock
        anns, however, additional sources were
        required. This included the three other shock
        absorber manufacturers, Houde, national
        Acme and Spicer as well as other suppliers.

3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Should have the shocks taken care of soon as I am working on a deal to trade our pile of cores for 2 sets of rebuilt shocks. Will see how it works out in Oct. I know I have some later arms that I will offer to trade with someone once I see how close I am to having arms with matching marks. Rod
          Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
            Are 1932 Model B Rear Shock Arms the Same as 1931 Shock Arms?
            by Tom Wesenberg
            I can't find my 1932 parts book, so I'm wondering if the 1932 rear shock arms are the same part and part number as the 1931 arms?
            10-26-2018, 10:38 AM
          • JohnB15632
            Shock refill
            by JohnB15632
            I am such a slow learner. I am reasonably sure that my left front shock leaked some over the Winter. I have looked and looked and looked at this shock an wondered if I need to replace it. Well, what to my wonder, I discovered that the square headed bolt my just be a shock fluid refill. Amazing what I can learn three years in the running.

Question, what fluid is normally put into a shock?...
            03-24-2019, 12:33 PM
          • Terry, NJ
            Shock Absorbers, Duh?
            by Terry, NJ
            Well, I may have scored with a box of 9 shock absorbers today at Trexlertown. I dunno. It seems of the 9 most are CW (Clock Wise) Is it possible to reverse them to CCW. Near as I can tell CW is Right Front and Rear Left. Cal I reverse the arm on the square, or change the innards and make a CCW . This shock absorber business is opening a whole new world of possibilities and frustrations to me. TIA...
            05-18-2019, 01:04 PM
          • Great Lakes Greg
            Rear shock arms
            by Great Lakes Greg
            I have two shock arms with different markings and some very subtle dimensional differences. Can these pass as-is, or would it be a better idea to grind the markings off to match?...
            03-16-2020, 09:10 AM
          • wrndln
            IDing shock arm
            by wrndln
            I have what I have been told is probably a 34 Ford rear shock arm. I know little about early V8 items, as I am a model A fellow. I am pasting in three pictures of the arm. The arm looks to be NOS, as there is no ball wear or bolt/nut marks where it was mounted to a shock. If you can ID it, please post a response. I have no use for it and plan to sell it. Thanks...
            07-03-2019, 10:08 AM
          • Ayyy
            MGB, Armstrong Rear Shock Absorbers For Ford Model A Pickup (All Cars Too)
            by Ayyy
            Original Thread

This is a brief summary about the installation of Armstrong lever-type shock absorbents (image 01) on my 1930 Model A pickup. I wanted to document this process since not much detailed information is out there, especially regarding light commercial trucks.

BACKGROUND

I have an unrestored late 1930 closed cab pickup. Ford gave the...
            06-17-2018, 12:45 AM
          • Ayyy
            MGB, Armstrong Rear Shock Absorbers For Ford Model A Pickup (All Cars Too)
            by Ayyy
            This is a brief summary about the installation of Armstrong lever-type shock absorbents (image 01) on my 1930 Model A pickup. I wanted to document this process since not much detailed information is out there, especially regarding light commercial trucks.

BACKGROUND

I have an unrestored late 1930 closed cab pickup. Ford gave the pickups a stout ten leaf rear spring to handle...
            06-17-2018, 12:45 AM
          • conaway2
            Shock absorber disassembly
            by conaway2
            Does anyone have a suggestion for disassembling a somewhat rusted shock absorber ? I’ve got the outer cover off, but cannot budge the inner piece. I’ve had kroil on it for a couple of days now.

thanks - Jim
            05-23-2020, 09:43 AM
          • MANYHERRAMIENTAS
            Shock exploded view
            by MANYHERRAMIENTAS
            I am going to take apart a shock absorber and I would like to have the exploded view, I searched the web but I did not find anything that works someone have something? Thank you
            05-10-2020, 09:23 PM
          • Captndan
            Shock links
            by Captndan
            Sooner or later you are going to rebuild a shock link. Problem is the link and your hands are greasy. Other problem is the parts won't stay put when you try to put the link on. So, put the link together on the bench but leave the top cap off. Fill the link with grease Red Sticky is advised. Put the link on the shock FIRST then on the perch. Put in the cap adjust and use a cotter pin. Clean...
            06-14-2017, 04:34 PM
          Working...
          X