Variances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variances

Do all variations from the JS&RG's require variance approval of the "committee" or only those items that are listed with specific description and/or dating? Somewhere I heard that if it isn't noted in the JS&RG that it's assumed to be correct lacking documentation to the contrary. I have a 255A fine point vehicle. There is no mention of a dome light and light switch on the header. Several other 255A's I've looked at have this feature. Mine has the dome light and switch. Does this require a variance?
    Last edited by Foxfire; 05-13-2017, 09:37 PM.

Best advice I every heard was 'don't make the judge make a judgment call'. required or not I would get one. remember you will need documentation to support the variance. it was there when I bought it, and such is not documentation
    If you are having it judged as unrestored, the standards are looser
    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

VARIANCES
      A variance may be granted to any restorer when an original

feature, part or item differs from that which is described
      in the Guidelines. Variances shall be submitted in writing
      to the respective National Club Judging Standards
      Committee at least six months prior to a National Meet.
      Documentation and evidence to support a variance may
      include, but not be restricted to, Ford literature, bulletins,
      service letters, blueprints, engineering information and
      appropriate photographs. The specific judging text and
      technical feature in question should also include all
      pertinent information regarding the vehicle 's history, body
      style, and engine number. A variance, when granted,
      will apply only
      for the individual vehicle for which the
      variance is granted. The variance must be displayed with the
      vehicle during judging.

So based on the first line "A variance may be granted to any restorer when an original feature, part or item differs from that which is described
      in the Guidelines."
      I would say your good but if you want to be absolutely sure you could find, " Documentation and evidence to support a variance may include, but not be restricted to, Ford literature, bulletins, service letters, blueprints, engineering information and
      appropriate photographs."
      to support your stand.
      Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-09-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I guess I could submit a request and see what happens. The major problem is other than a few other 255A's that have the same dome light configuration and switch, I've not been able to find any documentation. I tried Benson Ford archives with no luck. I also wasn't able to find it in the Ford Parts List.

Thanks all, I'll keep trudging along and maybe I'll get lucky and find some acceptable proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxfire View Post
          I guess I could submit a request and see what happens. The major problem is other than a few other 255A's that have the same dome light configuration and switch, I've not been able to find any documentation. I tried Benson Ford archives with no luck. I also wasn't able to find it in the Ford Parts List.

Thanks all, I'll keep trudging along and maybe I'll get lucky and find some acceptable proof.
          Since to get a variance you need documentation and you don't have any documentation, and you are not even sure you need a variance, I would let sleeping dogs lie.

Comment

Mike, I think you're right. If I wake the dog I'll surely get bit.

Comment

Brent brings up a misunderstanding that is frequently heard. "The judging standards tell how to build your car" and the correllaries "It's my car, I'll build it the way I want" , "Nobody can tell me how to build my car" and "who cares, if you knew how to have fun you would ...fill in the blank"

For fine point judging the standards are the yardstick by which your car will be measured. (standard). You can choose to follow the standard or not. Just be aware that it may reduce the points. I can choose to have my car judged ... or not. The jsc, judges,clubs and everybody are fine with that. The jsc, and fine point judges would love to have more cars in fine point, because they would like to see more Model A's restored. All would love to see more cars rebuilt to any other standard for the same reason. Pick the standard to work toward, and do it. I chose fine point. you can choose any other.

I know going in what my car will score. I will lose points on electric (repop battery), interior, and many others. I'm good with that.
              http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

Thanks all, I want so badly to get a Henry. To get the most I can get I feel I have to address obtaining a variance. Every point counts when you get into the upper 400's. Who knows, the variance could be just the saved point I needed.

Comment

Barb how many Henry's do u have now? your fleet of cars are just magnificent
                  I have seen the pictures.
                  maybe you can post them up on the photo of your car thread in the main section.

3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said
                  "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mason View Post
                    Best advice I every heard was 'don't make the judge make a judgment call'. required or not I would get one. remember you will need documentation to support the variance. it was there when I bought it, and such is not documentation
                    If you are having it judged as unrestored, the standards are looser
                    Jim is correct,...Marco gave me the same information..
                    I thought I would need one for this part off my mid-28 frame,...Marco said "no,..it will just confuse them", AND it's not needed..

Comment

While I plan to have the delivery judged once before I make transmission and carburetor change I do not want to live with brown interior even for judging. I guesse I will eat those points for color. Will do my best to make sure materials used are as close as possible. Is anyone making the rear floor mats for the 130-A? Rod
                      Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Originally posted by d.j. moordigian View Post

Jim is correct,...Marco gave me the same information..
                        I thought I would need one for this part off my mid-28 frame,...Marco said "no,..it will just confuse them", AND it's not needed..
                        What is that part?
                        I don't recall anything like that on my 9-23-28 Phaeton frame.

Comment

• DaWizard
                          DaWizard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, I too have not seen that on my 7-20-28 Tudor. What is it, and where does it go? I can imagine what it is, but there are no gauges for that to fit on any Model A I have ever seen.

It is the rest for dog bone for the multiple piece brake cross shaft. Some frames had this made into the center crossmember others had this piece bolted to the crossmember. Rod
                        Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

• DaWizard
                          DaWizard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Strange, I JUST uninstalled ALL the multiple cross shaft items from my Tudor, and didn't see that anywhere to be removed. I may need to take another gander to see if it is still somewhere under there.

Yours may have ears that were part of the crossmember. I do not have pic's of either style any more. Rod

Comment

On most of the frames, there was 2 tabs that were "punched inward" for stops for the 3 piece brakes,..to stop the arms from going back to far. Ford
                          stopped it for a VERY short time( I think the "dog bone" would fall out,..best guess), then realized it was necessary and used this part BEFORE the
                          old center cross member was brought back on line..
                          Dudley

Comment

• DaWizard
                            DaWizard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ok, so this was a Stop to the rear so when the brake was released the dogbone couldn't move out of the pieces. Hmm, I will have to look see about my frame next time I have it on the stands.