Question for JSC Members on Rearend Gear Sets/ Speedo Turtle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for JSC Members on Rearend Gear Sets/ Speedo Turtle

Some time ago I was emailing back and forth with Vince about rearend gear sets. At the time I was getting ready to dis-assemble several rearends in hope of coming up with a good set of used 3.54 gears for Dads coupe. Vince informed me that Ford never made 3.54 gears for the Model A. Curious why the JS clearly shows a turtle for 3.54 gears used in 1929 for coupes only. Can someone please elaborate if Ford never made 3.54 gears originally why it is stated in the JS? Thanks Rod
    ​​​​
    "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Bellfoy
    quality of 3:54 new gears
    by Tom Bellfoy
    My 1931truck with original 19 inch wheels currently has a 3:78 rear end and I'm considering installing a new 3:54 high speed gear set. Who supplies a good quality U.S. made set of gears ? Brattons ?
    and if you have this 3:54 set in your Model A, are you happy with the conversion ? My motor has recently been rebuilt by a Canadian quality builder and has a 5.5 high compression head.
    thank...
    01-15-2018, 04:48 PM
  • ClaudeC
    1933 ford v8 timming gear
    by ClaudeC
    This gear is a press on, not bolt on as is the model A. What is the procedure of pressing this gear on?
    01-21-2018, 02:38 PM
  • DaWizard
    Driveshaft Speedometer Gear
    by DaWizard
    Ok, before I ask this, I believe I already know the answer, so since I couldn't find anything in the Search results, I will ask anyway to maybe have this put into the Tech area.

Today I have a Sport Coupe to work on and the owner asked to fix the speedo. Well, he brought 4 different speedo cable assemblies and 2 turtles and 3 speedos that he said were "rebuilt".

06-25-2018, 01:36 PM
  • Roland Farrow
    Timing Gears
    by Roland Farrow
    I replaced my timing gears with new crank gear and a standard size fiber cam gear but there is no backlash and the gears did not slide together easily so there appears to be a slight interference between the teeth. Has anyone else experienced this? What can be done about it? I can't find a source for undersize gears. Would this run in OK?

Roland
    07-25-2018, 08:29 AM
  • tbirdtbird
    Tranny jumping out of gear?
    by tbirdtbird
    First the FW housing must be properly dialed in. This has been discussed many times, and there is a section in tech which explains this. Your gears need to be good gears. You can try good original gears if you can find them.
    Usually, most of the internal tranny parts are so worn that everything needs to be replaced anyway. Use only the gears made by the Mark company, which is what...
    11-13-2017, 11:19 AM
  • kevinf
    Clanking sound in low gear
    by kevinf
    I was out teaching my 17 year old son how to drive my 1931 Model A roadster. This was his third time out and he has been doing good. Well, coming off of a stop sign, he hit the gas and released the clutch quickly and the car popped forward. It didn't stall but now when it is in 1st/low gear it makes a clanging sound. No sound or issues in 2nd or 3rd gear. The noise only happens after the clutch...
    06-24-2018, 08:32 AM
  • merjohn
    Drilling Spider Gears
    by merjohn
    Can a hole be drilled in the spider gears to make them like the late 31 gears? If so what size is the hole?
    12-22-2017, 09:12 AM
  • DaWizard
    Fiber Cam Gear
    by DaWizard
    After doing a no load pre fit of the cam to crank gears, with a +.005 fiber gear I have 2 barely noticeable loose spots and both line up with the same few teeth on the crank gear, so I'm gona run it with those spots as the old cam gear was loooooose.

Now, the question that suddenly struck me is, if the fiber cam gear is to be splashed with oil anyway, why not pre lube it by letting it
    08-18-2018, 02:48 PM
  • tbirdtbird
    Tranny jumping out of gear?
    by tbirdtbird
    Original Thread:
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...ng-out-of-gear

First the FW housing must be properly dialed in. This has been discussed many times, and there is a section in tech which explains this. Your gears need to be good gears. You can try good original gears if you can find them.
    Usually, most of the internal tranny parts are...
    11-13-2017, 11:19 AM
  • Tom Wesenberg
    Nice Speedometer, Cable, and Gear Drive Package
    by Tom Wesenberg
    I was hoping this would have gone cheap, so I could buy it, but I don't really need it. Only a few hours left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-A-For...19.m1438.l2649...
    04-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Working...
X