Original Finish on 1929 Floorboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Finish on 1929 Floorboards

I have never seen original floorboards with just a wood preservative, unless Ford had some that looks like gloss black paint. I have a pretty nice set of original dovetailed Maple floorboards from an early 1929 Tudor, and they have a lot of the original black paint on them. They also have a run or two, so it looks to me like they got a heavy spray of gloss black or were dipped into the paint and hung by an edge hole to dry. Under the original edge welt you can see the paint is not dull. I know a lot of false information keeps getting repeated on the internet, until most people think it's the truth, but my original floorboards don't lie.

Other years might vary, but when I do my 1929 floorboards, they will be painted, as original.

Tom, did they have the rubber mat back in the day?

Comment

Tom, I also have a set of original '28 floorboards that are preserved in black paint, and have runs from being hung up to dry, or so it appears. Very hard to beat original parts.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by Beauford View Post
        Tom, did they have the rubber mat back in the day?
        Yes, but mine were long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
          I have never seen original floorboards with just a wood preservative, unless Ford had some that looks like gloss black paint. I have a pretty nice set of original dovetailed Maple floorboards from an early 1929 Tudor, and they have a lot of the original black paint on them. They also have a run or two, so it looks to me like they got a heavy spray of gloss black or were dipped into the paint and hung by an edge hole to dry. Under the original edge welt you can see the paint is not dull. I know a lot of false information keeps getting repeated on the internet, until most people think it's the truth, but my original floorboards don't lie.

Other years might vary, but when I do my 1929 floorboards, they will be painted, as original.
          My original early hardwood floorboards look as you described yours.

Comment

The JS calls for a dull sheen if i remember correctly
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

The M sheet for the wood preservative reads similar to the asphaltum 'paint' used on the fenders with wax added. the original boards I've seen the waxy look can be seen (dull sheen)
              http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

Not much paint left on my original floor boards. Can see traces at the top inch or so of the toe board. Mine are not useable for anything other than a good pattern. Rod
                "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

The certifiably original 1928 boards I have seen look like they have a thin coating of some black material, almost like a heavy stain, rather than a solid black paint. But I have only seen two sets that absolutely for sure qualify. The boards in my July 1929 Tudor are early plywood and had no indication of any preservative of any color or kind when I bought the car in 1961. I got it from the original owner, and it had been in his barn since 1954, so I am pretty certain they are original boards. The back seat floorboard is the same.

Comment

November 28 Tudor floorboard.

Comment

Here are the M sheets

20180112_180409.jpg20180112_180331.jpg

Comment

That's good info Jim. Was it similar with pre-Jan 1930 specs?

Comment

I've not found any earlier references. I'm sure they are out there

Comment

Jim,

As Ray expressed...that is some great information. I wonder if Ford changed the way of "finishing" wood parts early in 1930? Must have.

Sure would like someone to go to the archives and look at the drawings and Part Releases on these wood parts...sometimes they give you "hints" or really tell the story of the part itself down to the finish.

Pluck

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

My original early 1929 Tudor Floorboards are the same as Tom's...painted.

Comment

Jim
                                How did you obtain that documentation, directly from Benson?
                                3 ~ Tudor's
                                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Don't remember whence it came.

I believe the release was about the same time the switch from dovetailed hardwood to plywood.

Comment

I would like to make my own floorboards for my 1929 Tudor. Does anyone know where I can get a dimensional drawing?

Comment

Hey webengr, WELCOME to the VFF!!

There are dimensional drawings posted somewhere here for footboards, and floorboards. I'm sure Mitch knows where they are.

Found them!

http://www.stevewatrous.com/modelaford_p2.html
                                      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by webengr View Post
                                        I would like to make my own floorboards for my 1929 Tudor. Does anyone know where I can get a dimensional drawing?
                                        Here you go. http://www.stevewatrous.com/modelaford_p2.html .

Bob
                                        Last edited by Bob C; 05-01-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

For original dovetail type boards see this link. http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic...it=floor+board

Comment

Welcome webengr!!

We have this in our tech forum

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...ard-dimensions
                                            3 ~ Tudor's
                                            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I use WOODLIFE® CreoCoat® Black Wood Preservative. It dries flat black, covers well and imparts a waxy feel when dry with no odor.

Comment

The product I used for fine point “Gilsonite”.
                                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment