1931 DeLuxe Tudor Assist Straps ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 DeLuxe Tudor Assist Straps ?

Saw in Area 12, page 15 of the 2016 RG that assist straps were not listed as standard equipment on Deluxe Tudors.
    Also read in the new MAFCA published book (The Tudor Book) that these sedans did have assist straps from the factory.

Starting on page 19 of that book is an article by Mary Moline that includes 3 pictures of original unrestored Deluxe Tudors that
    show the straps. My car had them on when I stored it 30 some years ago.

Here is my dilemma: Do I restore ,for fine point judging, according to the Guidelines or as it was originally ?

Thanks,
    Ray

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

you answered it for yourself Arcieri...The "TUDOR BOOK" is NOT the definitive book on restoration...The JS&RG are.. that is what you follow ALWAYS..you restore everything per the JS...that is how it will be judged.. Just because a car is unrestored does not make it original. Many parts were added to cars over the years by owners, and are you SURE that it is a DELUXE tudor to start with, most "made" up their Deluxe cars when money allowed for it..

Comment

Hi Mark,

That is pretty much what I figured would be the answer and that is how I will do the tudor in this area.
      Yes, my car is an original Deluxe Tudor. I will post pictures later of the details.

Now, along these same lines, I wonder if I could get a definition of one of the features that Ford listed in a letter to dealers on June 9, 1931 touting the "new tudor".
      The term "toggle grips" is one I have not found anywhere else when reading about Model A Fords except in this letter.

Toggle grip apparently is a term skydivers use in assisting them to exit an airplane. Could Ford have used this term in the 1930's to mean
      a strap to assist in exiting a vehicle? Most of the other items in that dealer letter seem to refer to items in the interior of the Deluxe Tudor.

I know there are toggles in the Model A brake system but that would hardly be a selling point for this "new Ford Tudor".
      So, what did Ford mean by "toggle grips"

Thanks again for putting up with my questions and for insightful answers.

Ray
      Last edited by Arcieri; 12-22-2017, 07:57 PM. Reason: Meant to say "exiting a vehicle" not entering

Comment

• Mark Maron
        Mark Maron commented
        Editing a comment
        GREAT let me know if you need any assistance, I'm here to help

• Mark Maron
        Mark Maron commented
        Editing a comment
        NEVER EVER heard that statement "toggle grips" Ill see what i can find out

Related Topics

Collapse

• dlshady
      Late 31 Deluxe Tudor sedans
      by dlshady
      A buddy of mine went to the Goodguys show in Nashville this weekend and he just texted me some pictures of a 31 Tudor sedan that he bought. His plan is to build a traditional 50's style hotrod out of it but in studying the pictures he sent, I see a number of things that make me think it's a legit Deluxe car. I see what looks like a seat adjuster on the driver seat and there are pull handles and...
      05-05-2019, 06:49 PM
    • Steve Plucker
      The 1930 Deluxe Tudor Sedan
      by Steve Plucker
      According to the Assembly Type Records for 1930, there were only 364 Deluxe Tudor Sedans that were assembled at The Rouge in Dearborn. and 71 in Canada.

Over the years since, I think many 1930 Standard Tudors have been converted to a Deluxe.

That being the case...How can one tell an original assembled 1930 Deluxe Tudor from one that was a 1930 Standard Tudor and converted...
      09-28-2019, 09:49 PM
    • Don Kohl
      1931 DELUXE DELIVERY
      by Don Kohl
      I'M RESTORING A 1931 DELUXE DELIVERY AND NEED TO KNOW IF THE TWO FRONT SEAT ARE THE SAME AS USED IN THE TUDOR OR THE A400 OR ANY OTHER MODEL A BODY STYLE. THE SAME QUESTION REGARDING THE TWO FRONT DOORS .
      THANKS
      06-20-2019, 05:41 PM
    • r-mm
      Intro - trying to help family with a '28 Tudor Sedan
      by r-mm
      Hello all - I am a long time car guy whose experience is miles away from Model As. I did a bare metal resto on a '73 Alfa, presently doing metal work on a '65 Porsche and maintain my newer cars from the 90's. My mother in law's father gave her his 1928 Model A Tudor Sedan and I'd like to help her maintain it. Can anyone recommend a book or two I can use to get myself started? I have mostly metric...
      07-08-2020, 09:32 AM
    • A-Bone
      1931 Ford Model A Tudor sedan
      by A-Bone
      I need steel rear fenders for my 31 Tudor, does anyone know who still carries them?
      03-20-2020, 01:20 PM
    • spencerj13
      1931 Tudor rear subrails
      by spencerj13
      I have to replace the rear half subrails in my 1931 Tudor. Is there any advice on what I am about to get into?
      02-23-2021, 04:30 PM
    • Jim Baskin III
      Pic of my 30 Tudor
      by Jim Baskin III
      As I'm new to this site. Thought I'd show you a pic of Bella PIA. Schwalms did the short block work,Bought the interior from Lebaron Bonney and I did all the rest. And that was 10yrs ago.The color is Lombard Blue.Now that I'm retired I have a second Tudor to restore and am really looking forward to the restoration process as I have learned so much from doing the first A
      03-10-2018, 11:38 AM
    • Arcieri
      Ground strap
      by Arcieri
      I have this ground strap that I have been saving for use on a 1931 Deluxe Tudor show car (potential show car at this time.)

The Standards at Area 2 page 6 show a braided strap similar to mine but according to the text that strap would be for a June 1931 car.

My strap has a Ford script which the text says is for a July build Model A which is what mine is. However, no mention...
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      09-30-2019, 08:51 PM
    • 31Roadster
      Tudor top material
      by 31Roadster
      Could anyone tell me which top material is correct for an early 30 Tudor .
      The judging standards tell me long-short grain .
      09-01-2020, 09:58 AM
    • Steve Plucker
      1929 Deluxe Delivery/Tudor Sedan
      by Steve Plucker
      Can the bottom quarter panels, left and right, of a 1929 Tudor Sedan be mated up to the top quarter panels, left and right, of a 1929 Deluxe Delivery?

Thanks.

Pluck
      07-12-2018, 09:08 PM
    Working...
    X